Android Sidebar opening help: keeps closing
Hi community!

I use XBMC on Android and can't figure out how to open the side bar (the pane on the left that holds View Options, Misc Options, and Actions).

I can drag the side bar out to view the pane, but as soon as I let go it collapses and disappears. Tapping once on the sidebar icon does not open it. How can I access those options if I can't keep the sidebar open?

Volume +/- hard buttons open the sidebar.
I have always had the same issue. Tried the volume buttons and surprisingly they changed the volume and nothing else.
Not universal then. For me, the volume buttons open the sidebar and simultaneously adjust the XBMC volume (rather than the Android volume). Ah yes, I see, only when I'm on the Live TV screen. They don't open the Video screen sidebar. Fortuitous that I'm using Confluence from Frodo which, unlike Confluence from Gotham, doesn't have a problem with the sidebar on the Video screen.
I've figured out why the touchscreen wasn't working for the sidebar. Immediately after touching the button to open the sidebar, it slides out from the left and under your finger, which inadvertently touches an item on the sidebar and is treated as an activation touch, thus taking you instantaneously elsewhere. Simply by moving the sidebar-open button so that it does not line up with an active item on the sidebar solves the problem.

The sidebar button can be moved by editing the 'includes.xml' file, just change the button id=9001 value for <posy>260</posy> (or <top>260</top> in Gotham) to something larger such as 500, which moves the button three-quarters of the way down the screen.

I don't know why the volume key worked, it seemed to be doing the same as pessing 'h' on a keyboard, but I can't see why it would.
(2014-09-22, 22:07)snailseyes Wrote: The sidebar button can be moved by editing the 'includes.xml' file, just change the button id=9001 value for <posy>260</posy> (or <top>260</top> in Gotham) to something larger such as 500, which moves the button three-quarters of the way down the screen.

I have the same problem, but I can't file the "includes.xml" file to edit. Where is the "includes.xml" file located?
Ah, yes. I'd pitched my answer at someone who had already added their own customised skin. Well, the original skin files (on my CyanogenMod Android) are in this directory:

/data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence/

Copy its entire contents (i.e. the whole skin) to this directory:

HOME/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence-myname/

Edit the copied xml files in this new location, i.e. your new custom skin. The 'includes.xml' is in the 720p sub-folder. You possibly need to rename the skin in 'addon.xml'. Then, select the new skin in Appearance Settings.
(2014-11-18, 12:08)snailseyes Wrote: ... the original skin files (on my CyanogenMod Android) are in this directory:
/data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence/

Copy its entire contents (i.e. the whole skin) to this directory:
HOME/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/addons/skin.confluence-myname/

Edit the copied xml files in this new location, i.e. your new custom skin. The 'includes.xml' is in the 720p sub-folder. You possibly need to rename the skin in 'addon.xml'. Then, select the new skin in Appearance Settings.

Don't have a rooted device. I can access the destination directory, but not the source directory. Is there someplace else where I can get the content of "skin.confluence?"

Also, I cannot find "addon.xml" but possibly I may not need to edit it.
At the risk of stating the obvious, XBMC is 'open source', so by definition the all the source files are available for download. In this case at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc where you can hunt around for the 'release' that you are using.

Mind you, the image files for the skin are the source ones, so although it will work, it might run a bit slower on your device. Hence using the TexturePacker http://kodi.wiki/view/Texturepacker to compile the Textures.xbt file.

Here's the thing, 'skin.confluence' is included in any install of XBMC on any platform on any device. Which possibly explains why it isn't handily available in the repositories. But it does mean that if you're after a copy (i.e. that already contains 'Textures.xbt'), then look no further than another smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop PC. Not without pitfalls though. As you pointed out, Android commonly prevents access to the file system. Whereas, the Windows versions probably use line-breaks in the xml files that are incompatible with Android/Linux.

Anyway, if you lay your hands on a copy of the skin.confluence folder, you can use it as a template for your own custom skin. Which 'just works' when you copy your modified version to the addons folder in the user bit of the Android file system. The relevent 'addon.xml' file is inside the 'skin.confluence' folder.
(2014-11-19, 12:53)snailseyes Wrote: ..., 'skin.confluence' is included in any install of XBMC on any platform on any device.

Found it - I have XBMC installed on my Windows desktop. Thanks for all your replies to my questions.
I'm using the Hybrid Dev skin on my tablet (Samsung S 10.5) with Gotham 13.2 final.

I edited FROM:
<control type="button" id="9001">
<left>250</left>
<top>260</top>

To:
<control type="button" id="9001">
<left>250</left>
<top>600</top>

This places the button at the bottom left corner of the screen where there is nothing in the way. Thanks for the info! This has ticked me off for a long time on my tablets!
THANKS! this fixes the problem for me on my iPad too. Smile Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
@jmh2002

glad it worked for you too!! Too bad you got stuck with an iPud! Relax, I'm just kidding! Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sidebar opening help: keeps closing0