Client Restriction
configuring by hostname makes more sense to me, having lived/worked for a couple of decades in the industry and dealt with many 1000s of devices/servers that dont always have a static IP. What doesn't make sense to me is that the hostname of your device is set to "localhost" when it's clearly not local to anything other than itself in a network context Smile Also the nature of these devices is that you are likely to end up with more than 1 in the same house/network making it even weirder to not have them named uniquely. If you renamed it to "FireTV1" or whatever, then you could manage multiple devices with unique hostnames and DHCP allocated IP addresses, which don't have to be static reservations. Anyway as of the latest ServerWMC release you can use IP address for the restrictions again if you prefer (although the device will still identify itself by it's hostname in the ServerWMC logs and so on).

now in terms of your problem, the log file you posted shows no restricti0ons are enabled. This could either be because you haven't set "ClientRestrictionsEnabled" to true, or because you don't actually have any configured (you mentioned a crash, and your config file going back to default).

In terms of this crash, if you can reproduce it and provide clearer instructions on how to reproduce it, and post the log, we can look into that to. Im not sure I currently can see how the config file could be reverted to default.

In terms of media browser stuff, the ^MediaBrowser thing is appended to client names coming from MB3 but ServerWMC still knows it is running on "HTPC" for the server side. Krusty will probably have to answer more fully because I think the way media browser clients are dealt with has changed recently, so there is a legacy way and a new way. The log shows the client name as "'MediaBrowser^HTPC" so you could try configuring a restriction using that client name and seeing if it applies. If you want to restrict just 1 client that is hanging off MediaBrowser im not sure how to do that or whether it's supported
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Your reply was very helpful and I was able to resolve the issue. After the crash, as I stated before, my config file when back to default settings. I configured the client restriction section but forgot to set 'ClientRestrictionsEnable' to 'true'.

In my house hold I have IP reservation configured on the router side for each client based on mac address. It's easier that way, at least for me, in cases where a device needs to be reconfigured. I know even if i reset the device back to manufacturer default it will pick up the same ip address when it connects back to the network. I would of been okay if on the status page I could see the client ip addresses again. I am certain that would not happen but I would be glad to have it as an option.

I caused the crash by adding my server ip address as a client restriction hoping it would restrict mbs channel to the assigned group. I don't want to do it again because I don't want to start problems with my setup.

@krustyreturns any thoughts on how to restrict the channels in mbs?
did you try setting up a restriction for "MediaBrowser^HTPC" client ?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
I didn't get a chance to do it yesterday. I will do it later on tonight though and report back my findings
Any chance of getting subnet client restrictions?
I have been out of the loop, apropos I suppose: my cable company has changed their entire line-up and I am scrambling to get TV sorted out at my house. having many cablecard problems. Kids/wife want me to just get a cable set top box. Yikes.

We now support multiple MBS 'clients', so you can set client restrictions for individual MBS systems like scarecrow says:
MediaBrowser^<machineName>

Or you can set a single restriction and have it applied to ALL MBS clients using just:
MediaBrowser^

The crash was likely due to an xml error. We aren't very tolerant of that right now, if the config file is bad we just make a new one with all default values. Good idea to save a backup of your old config file before editing.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Hey sorry to hear about your troubles. I have been getting my share of complaints from my old lady but that's only because the htpc constantly running out of disk space. She always forgot to stop the client in the room (xbmc on fire tv) and both wmc and xbmc stop working. I kept telling her "well it's your own fault. If you stop the stream when you aren't watching tv that wouldn't happen" and of course she always replies "when we have cable boxes we never had to do that." Which is true Big Grin . Personally I always shutdown my cable box when I power off the tv but I noticed I never actually met anyone else besides me who does that. It's weird or I am weird LOL

She hasn't asked me to get a set top box yet. She actually like the fact all her apps are in one box so that's my savior Big Grin Anyway I hope all works out for you and family. I most certainly hope that cable company changing its entire line-up thing doesn't find its way to NY.

Okay I will make the change and see how it makes out. I like the "MediaBrowser^" concept. Its clean.

I did back up my stuff. I learned my lesson already Smile
Mediabrowser^ did the trick on the server end so my best bet is on the clients as well. Hey guys thanks for all the hard work. Much appreciated. I was trying to send you guys a little donation but donate button doesn't seem to be work. Try it and let me know if it's on my end or if it is really broken. https://0df317251eddfb99d4fce96eecb40d46...ubmit.y=13

@scarecrow420 do you know how to change the fire tv hostname? permanently?
Thanks for the heads up, I fixed the button - again. These seem to go bad after a while, not sure why. Feel free to test it Smile.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Thanks. The girlfriend will send you a little something to at the end of the week. LOL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Client Restriction0