Any planned modifications to "Active Recording" functionality?
First off, I'd like to thanks everybody who has worked on this project for all their hard work! The progress that's been made is awesome!

I feel like the only major shortcoming is the process of handling active recordings. I've read some other threads here and I understand the issue with handling that functionality and why it's so difficult to fix. I do like the ability to turn off remuxing for active recordings as I think that process is a little better, but it still kicks you out of the file when it reaches its stopping point and you also lose your bookmark when it moves from the 'Recording' folder to it's specific series folder when it's done recording.

Are there any plans to modify this functionality to let it act more like WMC? By that, I mean you can start watching an Active Recording and skip ahead until you eventually get to the Live portion of the file.
We have discussed providing an option to remux all wtv files to ts while they are recording. Then if you decide to watch an active recording the ts file is already there and you'll be able to skip to the recording point. We also would only provide this capability during the 'prime' viewing time that you set in the swmc options. These ts files would be deleted when the recording stops.

thoughts?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
I think it's a great starting point to remedy the problem. Hard drive space is cheap so I have no problem with some extra space being taken up temporarily.

One of the issues I can see is resuming the file after it has finished recording. For example, you watch the TS file for one hour during a four hour sports broadcast and then stop, shutdown xbmc, and do something else for awhile. When you come back, the recording has finished so there is no TS file and the completed recording doesn't have your bookmark so you can't resume playing from where you left off. Do you think there would be a way to save the length you've viewed the TS file and then apply that saved time as a bookmark to the .wtv file when it has finished recording?

Also, if you come back to the show while it's still recording, will the TS file remember where you left off or will you have to start the TS file from the beginning? I think the trickiest part of this process will be keeping track of where the user stopped watching it and how we can properly resume viewing.
It would certainly be possible to transfer the "bookmarks" from one entity to another so it really comes down to whether XBMC provides us with that info as otherwise we have no way of knowing what the user is doing inside the file )(TS or WTV) eg they can skip around, pause it for 2 hours, we dont know what the client isdoing. But as long as XBMC sends a "SetResumePosition" call to the pvr addon whenever there is one (eg Id assume a pause probably doesnt send one, but a STOP does) then we should be able save it against the TS for a remux job then transfer it to the WTV entity when the remux job finishes, I think...
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any planned modifications to "Active Recording" functionality?0