Linux Which Linux for XBMC/Kodi
Question 
Hi,
I have used Ubuntu for a while and I like the fact that most things just work out of the box. However I am not a fan of the pre-installed stuff I never use, I am not overly fond of unity but I don't really dislike it either. I have also been reading some disturbing articles on information being sent without my knowledge.

So I am looking for alternatives, I am trying to find what works best for me using virtual machines but I am not really sure. I would prefer a more stable OS like Debian but I also want to be able to run a somewhat recent version of XBMC/Kodi. Also I have to admit that the Debian philosophy is more attractive.

I am gonna use this unit for XBMC/Kodi, web browsing and perhaps Spotify, and that's about it. I don't need a software center where I could browse for new "apps".

My first question is regarding Debian, what is the most recent version of XBMC you can run if you are on testing? I read something about XBMC 13 but didn't quite understand the part about libav and ffmpeg, if anyone feels to explain a bit more about that I would be grateful.

Other options I have thought about so far is to install Ubuntu server and install Xfce desktop to get a more minimal version of Ubuntu. Or should I just simply go with Xubuntu?

So basically for what I want, should I use Debian, Ubuntu (and remove bloat), Ubuntu server (xfce), Xubuntu or something else and why?

Just looking for some advice and comments on the matter, keep it clean.....no biting!

Thanks
Hi,
I installed an Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS Minimal, without gui etc, and used the modified script from hack_kid: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189241
With this combination you get a minimal system just for xbmc and only the necessary packages.
Xbmcbuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu.
If you are comfortable with compiling xbmc yourself, debian testing will work too.
The problem with debians xbmc packages is that they are deliberately broken by debian, because of the unsupported use of libav. Xbmc is designed for ffmpeg and just won't work properly with anything else.
Openelec is a very limited Linux, no extras.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-21, 01:46)nickr Wrote: Openelec is a very limited Linux, no extras.

Seems he wants a desktop. Minimal or server Ubuntu may be the best solution. Less work than debian...and no packages missing due to the attractive philosophy.
(2014-08-21, 07:14)vikjon0 Wrote: Less work than debian...and no packages missing due to the attractive philosophy.

HAH! Nice one Smile. I guess your right, I think the best solution for me is to stick with a more minimal release of Ubuntu or one of it's children. Thank you for the input.
You might want to look at Linux Mint. It's based on ubuntu, but they use their own desktops (cinnamon (like gnome 3) & mate(like gnome 2)). its an excellent distro, i've been using is as my primary linux for 6 or 7 years.
linuxmint.com

you could also choose xbmcbuntu, which is maintained by xbmc team (or kodi team, and kodibuntu i guess, not really sure how they're handling that). It's a minimal install that launches directly into xbmc. the only issue is that it's more difficult to use other programs.

I currently use xbmcbuntu, and I'm about to switch back to Mint, i think mate, as my computer is a little outdated.
Try Lubuntu or Xubuntu as wsnipex suggested. Everything you're used to, but without the weight - and still the support, simplicity and scale of 'buntu underneath.
I have had trouble with 64bit Arch,Fedora and -buntu but 32bit runs fine.
I can tell you have you are leaning towards Debian, so why not give it a try. Just don't expect any support for their builds, as wsnipex said they're missing ffmpeg. The annoying thing is they even package libav as ffmpeg in Debian, so don't be fooled https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/ffmpeg

I was on Debian up until a few days ago when I switched back to an Ubuntu based distro Since XBMC is one of the applications i prioritize, I decided to go back to an Ubuntu based Linux - I went with Cinnamon Mint. So if you want to save yourself some hassle, then there are quite a few good Ubuntu based distros out there. I would recommend sticking to either the official flavors or Mint as they tend to receive updates in a more timely fashion and have better support. Either way, you should check out this page http://distrowatch.com/search.php?basedon=Ubuntu The latest Mint is based on the Ubuntu LTS release, so it will be supported for 5 years.

PS: I'm not too keen on Unity either - aestetically speaking it's fine, though I feel like it's very locked down.
(2014-10-23, 20:07)zachg Wrote: You might want to look at Linux Mint. It's based on ubuntu, but they use their own desktops (cinnamon (like gnome 3) & mate(like gnome 2)). its an excellent distro, i've been using is as my primary linux for 6 or 7 years.
linuxmint.com
Mint user as well here (XFCE Edition) : on my laptop/desktop, but also on the media center (that runs 24/7 with torrent and the like)
I do thoroughly recommend Mint for a desktop/laptop.

However anything with other than a minimal gui is overkill for a purely media PC IMHO. I therefore endorse what Prof Y and Wsnipex say above, although personally I am enjoying OpenELEC.

I have contemplated moving my laptop to something Archlinux based, but I think I'll stick to Mint. The ubuntu base means I can do anything that ubuntu can do, including finding easy howtos for compiling XBMC and OpenELEC. The ppa system also allows me to go bleeding edge on some packages, and keep the rest of the system stable.

Also if a particular obscure project has any packages at all, they'll usually be ubuntu ones.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
With the advent of SteamOS and Netflix running natively on Ubuntu I will probably load up Ubuntu on my TV. Another thing is the improved HDPI support

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Linux for XBMC/Kodi0