New builder with a storage question
So I'm getting ready to build a HTPC and was wondering what would be best for storage. I'm looking for something to store my music, photos, and movies. Right now I have close to a TB when I add up all of those together. What I'm looking for is something that can hold a bunch now and allow me to add more storage when I need it. I've heard of Synology for backing up photos, how would something like that work for storing movies? Since I would be using it to hold movies and shows that would be watched a lot is synology good to go with or do you guys recommend something else?
Hi, if you are really really really sure you're not interested at all on running back-end servers like PLEX, Media Browser 3, Windows media server for live TV, Steam etc then yeah a cheap NAS with 2 bay and able to support 2x 4TB Hard Drives (for less than $200) should do it to start with. That will last you for a while.

The idea is to get something future proof and that whatever you're going to get will be able to run everything you need or might need in a near/long future, "One box to rule them all"

I'll rather build a media storage server than purchase a NAS with >= 4 bays or > $200. You get a more powerfull system and flexibility (OS, ram, etc) for the same price range or cheaper. The only con could be size but one usually hide this kind of things anyways.
You've got to think about the read/write speeds of these cheap NAS,how they handle 1080p streaming to single client? and what features they offer (often synology is the best feature-rich)

I've read alot because i have many projects in mine but just yerterday and today i found really good info. So far i've covered almost all my concerns about different storage case scenarios.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/1...anscoding/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...8nW8htpOVF
http://youtu.be/tjQ94z1iFZI?list=PL-x30K...gII9vkt7Ac

USB 3.0 vs gigabit ethernet?
http://forum.notebookreview.com/networki...orage.html
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
I was going to ask the same thing

I'm thinking of going the NAS route (Synology or QNAP)

I've been looking at the Synology DS415play not sure if these are worth the money or if there is something else better around

How good are the ASUS cromebox, will this work ok with a NAS ?
I am also looking at the Synology 415play to store all my media. I have a pretty high end PC which I have XBMC on would the 415Play be fast enough to stream something like a 3d Blu Ray with 7.1 sound to my PC?
Like many on here, we all start with just a few things we would like to save and all of a sudden we realize that the few things has turned into more than we thought and now need to add hard drives for extra space. So the natural progression leads us to add drives to our computer, then add external drives from a usb, then add more usb externals, until finally we realize there must be a better way. So, you come looking for answers to a question that you alone can only answer. "What will be the best storage for me?"

There are many NAS options on the market that you can purchase and probably be very happy with, or since you already have admitted to starting your own build of a HTPC, you may also want to look at building your own NAS. If you build your own NAS you have the options for how to expand it later and also how you will use it down the road.

Many of us have been down this same road and I for one will tell you that once you have a NAS up and running, you will never want for anything else to server up your files with.

Answer your own question with some thought about the long term idea of a NAS and not just as I need more storage. For if you do you may come to think "Hey it would be so cool to listen or watch my stuff while I am at the neighbors, friends, family or airport" and you can do this if you do your research on what is available. Plus many other options to add to your NAS to customize it to your needs.

Here are a few links to get you started.

NAS OS list
Unraid server builds
Unraid Download
Window storage spaces
Desktop NAS
Veronica thanks for the reply. So far this is what I plan to use my HTPC for and what ever external hard drive system I get.

1) watch movies both DVD and blu-ray. Right now I'm ripping all my DVDs until I get a blu ray drive for my computer. I'll also probably use it as a player for any movies that aren't ripped.

2) have storage to back up all my photos since I'm a photographer

3) back up the TONS of music that I have so far.

4) watch live TV with it and be able to record it.

5) play Steam games that I've modded.

Now I don't mind storing the games on a hard drive in my HTPC since I am mainly concerned with storage for the other stuff.

As for PLEX and media browser 3 I don't know what that is. I'm gonna check out the links you posted now. I just wanted to let you know what it is I plan to use my system for.
Ok i'll try to sum it up from all the research i've done for your case cenario:

XBMC does hardware and software decoding on PC's and supported devices (often not officialy supported). Won't do transcoding thru UPnP built-in server in case you want to stream your XBMC video library in other devices, so only file types that are natively supported by those devices will play.

PLEX and Media Browser will Direct play or transcode. If the file type is fully compatible it will Direct Play, if part of the file type is not compatible then transcoding will be needed. Using this kind of services will let you stream your media to a wider type of devices often already own and often not so powerful, plus you'll be able to stream your media outside your LAN network - anywhere, anytime while you have an internet connection.

A NAS is excellent at basic NAS tasks, but most can't play high bitrate, subtitled MKV's without transcoding. No cheap NAS will be able to handle transcoding HD movies, they are just not made for it.

I PERSONALLY USE XBMC AND PLEX and now looking at Media Browser. Many in here do the same, though Media browser seems to be more popular lately.

That being said there are a couple of solutions depending on your budget and other factors...

SOLUTION #1

The simplest solution is a cheap NAS/DAS + a decent front end client (eg: WD TV live, Roku, HTPC) that can do alot more than just play movies. Depending on your video collection, you may need something with some more cpu/gpu power, enough to play high bitrate videos (eg: Hi10P, 20mbps) and Live TV codecs.

So the NAS/DAS would do points 2 and 3 of your list no problem while the HTPC with decent specs will do points 1, 4 and 5 nicely.

http://youtu.be/PaNIksfm8kw?list=PL-x30K...gII9vkt7Ac

THINGS TO NOTE:

- A DAS (Direct Attached Storage) setup can be faster and more reliable IMO. You can pick the OS that will handle the shares, etc and use BitTorrent Sync for unlimited file-syncing on a PC, Laptop; but it will obviously lack the advantages (in certain NAS) and purpose of a NAS.

- Remember that the client devices (eg: tablets, game consoles, android boxes, media player boxes like roku, boards, NUC,etc) will have to do all the work so pick wisely.
Make sure they can run XBMC stable enough and that can play all your high bitrate/live TV/in general media no problem.
In case of Plex/MB, devices must be compatible with the type of files you want to play:

* Fille Container
* Video Codec
* Audio codec
* Subtitlle format

... otherwise transcoding will be needed.

- Depending on how much storage you would like to have to start with and if you care about data integrity (will cost you more), you can start with a cheap 2 bay NAS for under $200 or if you want something more future proof then you could get a 4+ bay NAS like the Synology DS1513+ with 5 bays or the DS1813+ with 8 bays or the Qnap ts-470 with 4 bays, 2gb ram, core i3. All DISKLESS with really good reviews BUT over $700. For that amount of $ you could build a high end media server and do some good gaming.

- If there is a drive fail, restoring data could take even days in a cheap NAS and their slow CPUs. and you will pray there is no other drive faiure while restoring and that everything ends well

- If i had to pick a NAS i would go with Synology and it's latest DSM no doubt because is stable, best feature rich, great support, great community behind.

SOLUTION #2 (DIY - Do It Yourself)

A home built NAS/HTPC will be much better at handling all you need including transcoding, but you'll lose the extreme ease of use that comes with a NAS and will need to put in more effort to build it, set it up as you want and maintain it.

So this solution will do all the points in your list and much more right there in a single custom build.
Oh and if you need the "Dropbox like" feature then you can use BitTorrent Sync for unlimited file-syncing.

THINS TO NOTE:

- It is not recommended to have the storage and the media player to play all your media (eg: XBMC) in the same place, so many would advice you to get a dedicated client. Something like a NUC or Chromebox so you can still play your Steam games. This is optional and all up to you.

- a Quad core i5/i7 processor (High CPU mark), 8 gb RAM, SSD for the OS, a MoBo with at list 4 SATA III 6 gbps ports, Gigabit ethernet, USB 3.0 ports are min specs i would pick - future proof. A Mini-ITX build will look better in a livingroom but may not be ideal for the amount of Hard Drives that will be required.

https://fanart.tv/2014/01/build-nas-media-server/

- Most likely you will be able to stream your media content in devices you already own if you build a powerfull PC that can transcode to multiple devices at the same time.
So this will be handy for devices where you can't install XBMC, then using a third party app like Plex for example will have you covered.
Solution #2 is definitely what I was thinking. I just didn't know where to start. What I'm looking for is something that I can expand my storage when I need to. Question about Nuc and Chromebox. I play some pretty heavily modded versions of Oblivion and Fallout. Am I able to play them through Chromebox or NUC? Sorry I'm new to this so I thought I could build a computer/HTPC to play everything I wanted and just needed some sort of external hard drive to hold all my media.
if you mean stream games with steam then yes is possible, you will need to install ubuntu for that or windows in an external ssd because internally the chromebox runs pretty hot with windows.
In fact you can have up to triple boot.
Now i haven't tried because i don't play any kinds of games but i have read succesfull stories of steam streaming including Ubuntu.

The asus vivo pc barebones will be out soon. That will be a better option.
So I've gone and built my own HTPC/Steam machine so that I can ply all my games on near ultimate settings. My old system had too many old parts to reuse them in a new setup. Plus I needed a mini itx board so I could get a smaller case to fit in my tv stand. Right now I'm still using my old computer to play my movies because I haven't decided on the type of software to use to handle my storage. I'm still undecided if I want to use Storage Spaces, Raid, Unraid, or a new one somebody told me about recently Flexraid. I've kind of ruled out unraid since I want a Windows operating system.

Anybody have thoughts on Storage Spaces, Flexraid, and a traditional raid setup?
whs2011/win10 with drivepool or stablebit.
Thanks Veronica I'll check it out. That's another thing I saw mentioned in a Windows 10 home server book my wife got me.
CRAP! I was just reading about DrivePool and it doesn't work with Plex. Back to the drawing board.
I would definitely go with a NAS server and in fact that is exactly what I did. I bought a HP Micro server Gen 8. It comes with 4GB of memory but I upped that to 16GB. I added 4x5TB drives. I installed the OS on the SD Micro slot inside of the server though you could also use a USB stick (also has an internal USB connector). I also used FreeNAS as my OS of choice. What I ended up with was this:

A NAS server that runs PMS, Emby, CouchPotato, Sonarr, Sabnzbd, Transmission, Headphones, NFS Shares, AFP/Timemachine (For my mac backups). There is also a VirtualBox plugin incase you want to run a completely isolated OS from within it. It is based off of FreeBSD 9. It's my workhorse for everything that I do at home. I went with Raidz-1 (Similar to Raid5). The various HTPCs in my pull all pull content from this machine without any issues. It really depends on how much you want to spend and how often you do not want to say "I wish I had bought more storage".

The processor is a little weak though it could easily handle one transcoding stream I supposed. You could easily upgrade the CPU if you wanted to though.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?thr...ble.13319/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New builder with a storage question0