• 10(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
And me.
Thanks a lot Matt for trying to fix the hdmi audio in windows.

Did anyone tried Windows 10 Technical Preview on Asus Chromebox ?
(2015-02-04, 01:52)desperado77 Wrote: Thanks a lot Matt for trying to fix the hdmi audio in windows.

Did anyone tried Windows 10 Technical Preview on Asus Chromebox ?

yes, it works fine sans HDMI audio, same as Win8.1
(2015-01-31, 16:57)noggin Wrote: And me.

and me Smile
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2015-02-04, 06:16)Veronica Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 16:57)noggin Wrote: And me.

and me Smile

And me Big Grin
I thought I must've stayed up too late last night, but did Matt really say he was looking into Windows issuesHuh
Looks like he is, even though he said he wouldn't...
Anyways, my promise is still standing...matter of fact, I am doubling it...12 pack now Smile
MATT PLEASE HELP

I tried to set up my HP Chromebox as a standalone windows system using the internal 16GB SSD. I ran Matts script and set up the chromebox as a standalone system. I ran the windows 8 USB installer however it was not allowing installation to the internal SSD due it being the wrong disk type or something. I selected the partition on the internal SSD which probably contained the LINUX software and deleted it and reformatted it. This still didn't allow windows to be installed on it.

My chromebox is now stuck. When it boots up it says unknown file system as the SSD is now blank. I have tried to recover back to factory using the chrome recovery image but it won't go into recovery mode. I have tried booting from the recovery SD card I created and this doesn't work either.

Have I bricked my device, or can I do something to get it back to factory settings again? The only thing I have now when I switch the chromebox on is a command line prompt saying "grub rescue", but I havent been able to find any commands that work.

Thanks in advance.
Does windows 8.1 fit on 16gb, with room for updates?

I have kodibuntu with updated intel drivers, using a lightweight wm and google chrome, that seems to be able to just about squeeze 1080p from youtube and netflix using software decoding.

On windows there is hw decoding available, and i use a usb soundcard so the hdmi audio issue doesnt bother me. I'm just looking to use windows stock with Kodi and probably Google Chrome, but I'm not sure if 16GB is enough. Unless anyone can confirm, I guess I'll just have to find out myself.
I just tried the installation to see how well windows works on the machine, with a view to upgrading the ssd if it worked well.

Is there any way I can restore my chromebox back to factory settings and reinstall chrome os? Can someone please post the instructions if there is a way.
Wiki
(2015-02-08, 17:34)bluestone Wrote: MATT PLEASE HELP

I tried to set up my HP Chromebox as a standalone windows system using the internal 16GB SSD. I ran Matts script and set up the chromebox as a standalone system. I ran the windows 8 USB installer however it was not allowing installation to the internal SSD due it being the wrong disk type or something. I selected the partition on the internal SSD which probably contained the LINUX software and deleted it and reformatted it. This still didn't allow windows to be installed on it.

My chromebox is now stuck. When it boots up it says unknown file system as the SSD is now blank. I have tried to recover back to factory using the chrome recovery image but it won't go into recovery mode. I have tried booting from the recovery SD card I created and this doesn't work either.

Have I bricked my device, or can I do something to get it back to factory settings again? The only thing I have now when I switch the chromebox on is a command line prompt saying "grub rescue", but I havent been able to find any commands that work.

Thanks in advance.

(2015-02-08, 20:52)bluestone Wrote: I just tried the installation to see how well windows works on the machine, with a view to upgrading the ssd if it worked well.

Is there any way I can restore my chromebox back to factory settings and reinstall chrome os? Can someone please post the instructions if there is a way.

(2015-02-08, 18:55)Soli Wrote: Does windows 8.1 fit on 16gb, with room for updates?

I have kodibuntu with updated intel drivers, using a lightweight wm and google chrome, that seems to be able to just about squeeze 1080p from youtube and netflix using software decoding.

On windows there is hw decoding available, and i use a usb soundcard so the hdmi audio issue doesnt bother me. I'm just looking to use windows stock with Kodi and probably Google Chrome, but I'm not sure if 16GB is enough. Unless anyone can confirm, I guess I'll just have to find out myself.

a standard Windows 8.1 32-bit install will fit on the stock SSD, but with only 2GB or so free space; a standard 64-bit install will not fit. A WIMBoot install will work for either, as the majority of the OS exists as a compressed file, and you're left with about 6-8GB free.

if you want to restore ChromeOS after having performed a standalone setup, you need to first restore the stock firmware, then restore ChromeOS via the recovery media. Instructions are provided on the wiki.
Thanks Matt. It seems wimboot is restricted to UEFI installs, no?
I'll try out NTLite to strip out unneeded drivers and other stuff, that should work.
Thanks Matt. You are a legend. I have restored my system back to factory configuration.

I am going to try once again to run windows 8 (64 bit) on this from a USB drive. I have tried this using AOMEI to create a windows to go flash drive. The drive does boot, however during the initial setup I get an error message after it has completed to 50% and I am unable to complete the initial setup. I am using a 32gb usb flash disk. any idea why I cannot get this to work?

Also if i successfully get windows 8 to run from a usb 3.0 drive, what kind of performance can I expect compared to it being installed on the internal ssd? will it be fast enough to use MS OFFICE with ease?
unsure about WIMBoot, Ive used it on one of my tablets (which has 32-bit UEFI firmware), but haven't tried on the ChromeBox. For it, I use a Win2Go install on an old 30GB SATA drive with a SATA/USB3 adapter. I used Win2USB for the install: http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4