• 35(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
No.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-07, 23:21)jsp1 Wrote: I'm trying to figure if there is any good reason to jump to Windows 8.1 from OE. If the only interest I have is running Kodi with the quickest boot and most features, does windows offer any advantage?

(2015-07-08, 00:14)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-07, 23:21)jsp1 Wrote: I'm trying to figure if there is any good reason to jump to Windows 8.1 from OE. If the only interest I have is running Kodi with the quickest boot and most features, does windows offer any advantage?

Laugh

Well, kind of. I mean, does it support some codecs or functions that provide media center benefits other than streaming netflix? My guess is no. Figured it might be worth checking if I'm missing something though.

Not really. The only potential benefits of running Windows are outside the Kodi experience pretty much (Netflix being the obvious example, though it may be possible to integrate that within Kodi under both Windows and Linux - but not within OE - using some of the browser-based plugins that use recent versions of Chrome that support HTML5 with DRM in a Netflix-friendly manner?)
Yes, it's also possible within OE since someone patched widewine support into Chromium. (It certainly isn't as straightforward as using Windows) Anyways, Netflix works just fine in Chrome /patched Chromium, but it's limited to 720p. If you want 1080p, you must either use Win8.1/IE11 or OSX 10.10/Safari 8.
As of now, that's the only reason I can think out someone would prefer using Windows apart from it being a lot simpler to install configure than full blow Linux. (which makes OE the best of both worlds except not being able to Netflix @ 1080p)
(2015-06-27, 10:21)bungie240 Wrote: I've installed latest build of win10 x86 and using win8 32bit vga drivers to get audio to work, but windows keeps overriding that driver after a day or so and I have to reinstall to get the sound back! Is anyone else experiencing the same issue ?

Thanks

I used the guide here: http://hmemcpy.com/2015/04/preventing-a-...indows-10/
A question. Is it absolutely nessesary to use Directx 11 kodi version? I would like to try out the DSPlayer edition and madvr.
This question isn't quite Chromebox specific (more of a overall Windows thing, but I am specifically trying to get this to run on my Chromebox), so please forgive if this is too out of place.

I'm trying to get SpeedFan to properly launch on startup (as advised on OP / Wiki), but due to UAC (which I want to leave on) it does not start on its own. Any tips for working around this?

I have tried this sevenforums example: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/119...reate.html but no dice so far.

And, again, if this should be posted elsewhere, my apologies, and will repost.
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
(2015-07-17, 23:04)xi_Slick_ix Wrote: This question isn't quite Chromebox specific (more of a overall Windows thing, but I am specifically trying to get this to run on my Chromebox), so please forgive if this is too out of place.

I'm trying to get SpeedFan to properly launch on startup (as advised on OP / Wiki), but due to UAC (which I want to leave on) it does not start on its own. Any tips for working around this?

I have tried this sevenforums example: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/119...reate.html but no dice so far.

And, again, if this should be posted elsewhere, my apologies, and will repost.

run it as a scheduled task, will allow you to run as admin w/o prompt
Matt: I thought you fixed the fan issue not starting without manually running speedfan (in windows) was fixed in v3.10? What happened? Smile
Hi,

Long-time lurker here, with a bit of a predicament on my hands. I've installed kodi / OE using your script, Matt, a number of times successfully. However, I haven't removed the write protect screw from my Asus Chromebox -- not because I don't know how or don't want to, but because I simply can't. It's stuck. My unit must have been made slightly differently or something. Anyway, it's really impossible to remove, and I've tried to do so a number of times.

It really wouldn't be a problem if its presence only imposed another few seconds upon the boot time, and I really don't mind selecting the OS manually. But for some reason, with every ChromeOS update, the OE partition erases itself. It's happened SEVERAL times, and it's extremely annoying (to say the least). Is it the write protect screw that's doing this?

Can Windows 10 be installed with the screw still in?
(2015-07-25, 09:40)aztec321 Wrote: Hi,

Long-time lurker here, with a bit of a predicament on my hands. I've installed kodi / OE using your script, Matt, a number of times successfully. However, I haven't removed the write protect screw from my Asus Chromebox -- not because I don't know how or don't want to, but because I simply can't. It's stuck. My unit must have been made slightly differently or something. Anyway, it's really impossible to remove, and I've tried to do so a number of times.

what exactly does that mean? the screw doesn't turn? or it's stripped? or something else?

Quote:It really wouldn't be a problem if its presence only imposed another few seconds upon the boot time, and I really don't mind selecting the OS manually. But for some reason, with every ChromeOS update, the OE partition erases itself. It's happened SEVERAL times, and it's extremely annoying (to say the least). Is it the write protect screw that's doing this?

I'm not sure what would cause this, but it's unrelated to the WP screw being installed

Quote:Can Windows 10 be installed with the screw still in?

sure, you just need to manually select the legacy boot option via CTRL-L, same as you do now for OpenELEC. Just be aware that HDMI audio is still non-functional without using the much older Windows8 drivers, which may introduce issues of their own.
(2015-07-14, 09:37)Bjur Wrote: A question. Is it absolutely nessesary to use Directx 11 kodi version? I would like to try out the DSPlayer edition and madvr.
Any help here on this
i am running openelec on my asus chromebox with 16gb hard drive and 2 gb ram.
I am very tempted to install window 10 on it. my question is will 16 gb will be enough to run 64 bit window 10 ? if somebody have done it how it is running. ?
(2015-08-12, 07:31)malik500 Wrote: i am running openelec on my asus chromebox with 16gb hard drive and 2 gb ram.
I am very tempted to install window 10 on it. my question is will 16 gb will be enough to run 64 bit window 10 ? if somebody have done it how it is running. ?

it's enough if you don't care about installing anything else afterwards. It runs fine, better than 8.1, but it's not going to be anywhere as quick as OpenELEC, for obvious reasons
  • 35(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4