• 45(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2016-08-20, 08:20)srbufi Wrote: we must also alter install.wim.

Generally speaking, you're right.
I was ready to alter both of them but decided to check what happens if I alter boot.wim only.
It may be system/distro dependive, but it wokred for me on my Dell 3010 and Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise x64.
is there any way to disable driver auto update? I've installed Windows 10 and use audio display driver for windows 8. the HDMI audio works fine until the box reboot. 
@rhino
You can try to use Windows update hide tool from Microsoft.
But I think using that driver is a not very good idea.
It has problems with hardware decoding of VC-1 and 2160p H.264.

You'd better use HDMI-fix from this thread. It can be set to run as a scheduled task.
Hi All,

I'm leaving the original version of this post in case anyone trips on the same issue.

To anyone using CoolStar's hdmi utility (works great BTW!!!)
  1. The uploaded utility is fine - no corruption
  2. make sure you following the instructions in srbufi's post to enable test signing!
    http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2220562

The interesting bits start on page 39!

My Original Post Now Resolved:

As user Veronica mentioned, CoolStar's Audio over HDMI fix is failing with a Cygwin error.

I don't have access to the original (pre-chrombox fix) zip so I tried to pull the Cygwin dll directly from the project, and grabbed winio directly from the author. Still no good and as a new user I can't PM the author.

Does anyone have a working copy that they can pass along? Much appreciated.

(2016-01-21, 19:27)coolstar Wrote: Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5996...-tools.zip

use intel_audio_enable-cbox and intel_audio_disable-cbox if you're on a chromebox (PIPE_A). intel_audio_enable and intel_audio_disable are for the chromebooks (PIPE_B).

(2016-01-21, 21:42)Veronica Wrote: SUCCESS!!! at least for Asus Chromebox
PS: @coolstar when I tried to unzip the latest file package you posted I got an error on cygwin1.dll file, it's corrupted so I just copied that file from the first .zip you posted and problem solved.
Please re-upload the package.
(2016-09-25, 22:40)jfish Wrote: The interesting bits start on page 39!
Yes, obviously testing mode is mandatory for winio.dll to work under x64 system.
Now, when you've sorted it out, I'd suggest using task scheduler to run audio-enable command.
I used two triggers: when user logins and when the system wakes up.

Are you using legacy bios or UEFI?
Does the CPU fan work? You can see if it works using HWMonitor tool.
(2016-08-19, 09:46)bbsc Wrote: Well, the problem with Windows 7 installation is that it's distro doesn't contain USB3.0 drivers.
I did the tricks to inject the USB 3.0 drivers in install.wim and boot.wim, but still didn't get the mouse or keyboard working during the installation. I'm running an Asus Chromebox M004U, and would prefer Windows 7 to 10 to use for retro gaming in dual boot mode.

Do you have any tips?
(2016-09-27, 20:04)Boulder Wrote: Do you have any tips?

Sorry, but I have not Sad.
It was only an experiment for me.
It appeared enough to modify boot.wim only for my Dell 3010.
And it was an original Microsoft ISO Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with SP1.
Hi BBSC

Thanks for checking in with me.
I'm actually taking notes to put together a wiki for the next poor shmo Big Grin

Here's what I have so far:

1) Using MrChromBox 2016/09/22 seaBIOS (via Kodi EZ-Script)
- I'm not aware of a working UEFI (other than Google's) though it looks like MrChromeBox is working on it.
2) MrCool's HDMI fix confirmed working (enabled Windows Test Mode)
3) Fans
- Not listed in HWiNFO summary report unless I run SpeedFan first to activate.
4) Configured SpeedFan to auto-regulate temperature. watching This Video now and will experiment with settings.

ToDo:
1) Run SpeedFan as a service
- bbsc - can you provide details on your implementation?
-- Did you wrap this in wrapper like AlwaysUp, or is that no longer needed (the AlwaysUp article is circa 2012).
-- Any issues with the GUI displaying after login?
-- If I create a user for the purpose, what rights/group membership do they need?
2) Use task sched. to auto-set the HDMI fix. Should be trivial but its not working . . .
- Update Got it running if I execute within a batch file. Does anyone have a more elegant way? I'd like to export my scheduled tasks and include in the tutorial, but the use of batch files, etc. just adds to the complication.

If you have any recommendations on Speedfan settings, I'd love to hear them!
And of course if you think I'm missing anything . . . Blush

(2016-09-26, 08:43)bbsc Wrote:
(2016-09-25, 22:40)jfish Wrote: The interesting bits start on page 39!
Yes, obviously testing mode is mandatory for winio.dll to work under x64 system.
Now, when you've sorted it out, I'd suggest using task scheduler to run audio-enable command.
I used two triggers: when user logins and when the system wakes up.

Are you using legacy bios or UEFI?
Does the CPU fan work? You can see if it works using HWMonitor tool.

Boulder - Just an FYI ...
As of now (2016/09/27) you can use your Win7 key for a Win10 install.
Boot the Win10 USB installer and just enter the Win7 key.
See Here For More Info

(2016-09-27, 20:04)Boulder Wrote:
(2016-08-19, 09:46)bbsc Wrote: Well, the problem with Windows 7 installation is that it's distro doesn't contain USB3.0 drivers.
I did the tricks to inject the USB 3.0 drivers in install.wim and boot.wim, but still didn't get the mouse or keyboard working during the installation. I'm running an Asus Chromebox M004U, and would prefer Windows 7 to 10 to use for retro gaming in dual boot mode.

Do you have any tips?
(2016-09-27, 22:47)jfish Wrote: I'm actually taking notes to put together a wiki for the next poor shmo Big Grin
It's beautiful because I really have a few things to say but too lazy to write them down in a readable form.

1. Q. Do I need to upgrade SSD to install Windows?
A. Not really. 16 GB isn't much but quite enough for Kodi. But it's a good idea to add a 2GB SO-DIMM of RAM, it will reduce the need of swap-file and save disk space.

2. Q. Which edition to choose?
A. I'd prefer Windows 10 x64 Enterprise LTSB N 2015 as compact and clean system. More than 3 GB will be free on the disk after OS and Kodi installation. Of course, you'll need to empty "temp" folders and "Windows\Software Distribution\Download" folder. 4GB of RAM let to reduce the initial swap-file size (512 MB in my case).

3. Q. Should I install any drivers manually?
A. For WOL to work install Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller driver from Realtek's site and enable WOL in settings. Disable hibernation (powercfg -h off from elevated command prompt).
Disable Intel® Management Engine Interface (from device manager), it doesn't work correctly, causes reboots and prevents WOL from working.
All other drivers can be installed by Windows automatically.
After installation it's recommended to run device manager and to initiate driver updating for Basic Microsoft Video Adapter (find driver automatically). It will install the latest Intel HD Graphics driver, prevent intermediate version from being installed and save you about 300 MB of valuable disk space.

To be continued ...
I won't write much about Windows test mode and HDMI tools because these things were explained earlier.
Just want to say once more: you can obtain binary EDID file for your monitor/TV from Windows with Monitor Asset Manager aka moninfo.

So, I use Windows Task Scheduler to run the fix automatically.
All necessary files are assumed to be placed into "C:\Program Files\Tools\HDMI" folder.
My TV's EDID is saved to Panasonic.bin file. This file is placed to the same folder.
I have the only Windows user on my Chromebox whose name is "nas".
In this case the necessary task will be the next:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2016-05-18T13:24:24.1951922</Date>
    <Author>DELL3010\nas</Author>
    <URI>\Microsoft\Windows\hdmiaudio</URI>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <UserId>DELL3010\nas</UserId>
    </LogonTrigger>
    <EventTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Subscription>&lt;QueryList&gt;&lt;Query Id="0" Path="System"&gt;&lt;Select Path="System"&gt;*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter'] and EventID=1]]&lt;/Select&gt;&lt;/Query&gt;&lt;/QueryList&gt;</Subscription>
    </EventTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <UserId>S-1-5-18</UserId>
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>true</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>true</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>true</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT72H</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>"C:\Program Files\Tools\hdmi\intel_audio_enable-cbox.exe"</Command>
      <Arguments>panasonic.bin</Arguments>
      <WorkingDirectory>C:\Program Files\Tools\hdmi</WorkingDirectory>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>
This code can be saved as an .xml file and imported to the task scheduler.
N.B.
1. The task is executed under SYSTEM account for historical reasons. I can explain, if anybody is interested. This will work good in all cases.
2. There're two triggers specified:
- At logon of the user who runs Kodi.exe
- On the Power Event when the system wakes up from the sleep state.
3. Have a look at the Action window.
"Add arguments" line contains the filename of panasonic.bin. It's my file, yours may be different.
"Program/script" line contains the full path and filename of the executable in double quotes.
"Start in" line contains the working directory path without quotes.

To be continued ...
To run SpeedFan as service you'll need a separate copy of the program.
Usually SpeedFan is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan folder.
Let's assume that this copy will be run interactively for monitoring and settings' editing.
So install SpeedFan and copy (not move, but copy) all files from C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\SpeedFan - this folder will contain the copy that will be run as service.
SpeedFan reads its configs from the working (own) directory when starting.
So you can run the program from C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan, make settings, exit the program and then copy three *.cfg files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\SpeedFan.
Or you can use my configs. Just download them and unpack to C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\SpeedFan and C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\SpeedFan.

SpeedFan cannot start as service natively.
You'll need some wrapper to do it.
I use a very small tool "srvany.exe" from Windows 2003 Resource Kit. It can be downloaded here. The second tool in the archive is for initial settings of the new service, but this job can be done manually.
So download the archive and unpack it to, say, C:\Program Files\Tools\winsvc folder.

Let's summarize. Now we have:
1. SpeedFan program installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan folder.
2. A copy of all SpeedFan files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\SpeedFan folder.
3. My .cfg files in both C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan and C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\SpeedFan folders.
4. srvany.exe executable in C:\Program Files\Tools\winsvc folder.

Now it's necessary to set up a new service. It can be done with C:\Program Files\Tools\winsvc\instsrv.exe and registry editing or simply import the next registry file:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SpeedFanSvc]
"Type"=dword:00000010
"Start"=dword:00000002
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"=hex(2):63,00,3a,00,5c,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,\
  20,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,54,00,6f,00,6f,00,6c,00,73,00,5c,\
  00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,5c,00,73,00,72,00,76,00,61,00,6e,00,\
  79,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00
"DisplayName"="SpeedFanSvc"
"WOW64"=dword:00000001
"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SpeedFanSvc\Parameters]
"Application"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Tools\\SpeedFan\\speedfan.exe\""
"AppDirectory"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Tools\\SpeedFan\""
"AppParameters"="/NOSMBSCAN /NOSMARTSCAN /NOSCSISCAN"

After reboot the copy of SpeedFan from C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\SpeedFan folder will run as a new SpeedFanSvc service, using configuration files from that folder.
Lots of good work in here.

I just finished swapping out the SSD to a 128gb one and installing Win10.

I've gone through everything and done the hdmi fix. It did work as it shows it's outputting sound,but I got nothing coming out of the speakers. This is going through a receiver. The receiver/speaker setup is fine as I unhooked it from my old HTPC to give this a go. I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated. I've already gone through all of this when trying to do a LE/ChromeOS install and also a Gallium standalone.

Should I have done the Chrome recovery and ran the script to change the firmware? I don't see that making a difference w/ everything else being functional.
Can you try conecting your receiver or a pair of PC speakers to headphone jack of Chromebox to see if that is functional. Also connect directly to TV via HDMI and check if there is sound. Check with another HDMI cable just in case. If no sound at all then I would reflash and start clean from 0. If that doesn't work then send it back if its still under warranty.

Enviado desde mi Moto X vía Tapatalk!
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-10-20, 08:42)imbored Wrote: Lots of good work in here.

I just finished swapping out the SSD to a 128gb one and installing Win10.

I've gone through everything and done the hdmi fix. It did work as it shows it's outputting sound,but I got nothing coming out of the speakers. This is going through a receiver. The receiver/speaker setup is fine as I unhooked it from my old HTPC to give this a go. I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated. I've already gone through all of this when trying to do a LE/ChromeOS install and also a Gallium standalone.

Should I have done the Chrome recovery and ran the script to change the firmware? I don't see that making a difference w/ everything else being functional.

If you're going to run Windows on a Chromebox, I'd recommend booting a Linux USB, running my Firmware Utility Script, installing the UEFI custom coreboot firmware, and then reinstalling Windows. The best place to get support for running Windows on Chromebooks/Chromeboxes is going to be https://www.reddit.com/r/chrultrabook

(2016-10-20, 09:10)Veronica Wrote: Can you try conecting your receiver or a pair of PC speakers to headphone jack of Chromebox to see if that is functional. Also connect directly to TV via HDMI and check if there is sound. Check with another HDMI cable just in case. If no sound at all then I would reflash and start clean from 0. If that doesn't work then send it back if its still under warranty.

The headphone jack and HDMI audio are completely unrelated as they are handled by different devices (Realtek ALC283 vs the Intel GPU). Testing the headphone jack would tell you if Windows audio output were completely broken, but that's almost certainly not the case. A warranty return would be hard to justify given that HDMI audio works properly in both ChromeOS and Linux (and we're still working on a proper [firmware-level] fix for Windows)
Updates! So I plugged directly to TV and audio worked. Odd. Swapped out the HDMI cable I've been using w/o issue and went back through the receiver...Presto! So weird. But hey, I'm not gonna complain. I've seen other people w/ HDMI cable issue. These dudes must just be a bit sensitive.

I tried using srvany and Speedfan and just had some issues, particularly w/ using srvany to wrap the service. So I grabbed AlwaysUp and set the argument lines to mirror what was recommended by bbsc and it's working great.

At this point, my only problem is that before all of this I had ran your script and flashed the bios, and changed the boot order in the process to have USB as priority. I did that as I was going to run Windows off of USB. Had issues w/ it hanging up during boot and just said screw it. Did the hard drive swap and fresh install on that. I guess I could boot Linux and re-run the script to change the boot priority huh?
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4