• 46(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
Bingo, youre welcome. I was One those that suffered from the odd hdmi cable behaviours, and changing to new HDMI cable solved a nasty handshaking issue. Won't purchase amazon basics HDMI cables again.

Enviado desde mi Moto X vía Tapatalk!
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-10-21, 03:25)imbored Wrote: At this point, my only problem is that before all of this I had ran your script and flashed the bios, and changed the boot order in the process to have USB as priority. I did that as I was going to run Windows off of USB. Had issues w/ it hanging up during boot and just said screw it. Did the hard drive swap and fresh install on that. I guess I could boot Linux and re-run the script to change the boot priority huh?

if you're running the Legacy boot firmware, then you can set the default boot target by re-flashing. if you're using the UEFI firmware, it will default to USB and there's currently no way to change that
so I know I said it probably wouldn't ever happen, but the next UEFI firmware update for Haswell Chromeboxes will have fully working HDMI audio out of the box, no hacks required. Think I've got the fan control licked too, so now everything will work perfectly with nothing more than drivers from Windows Update Smile
It's great news.
Haswell Chromebox never gives up.
It's simply unbeatable under Windows.
(2016-11-16, 10:44)Matt Devo Wrote: so I know I said it probably wouldn't ever happen, but the next UEFI firmware update for Haswell Chromeboxes will have fully working HDMI audio out of the box, no hacks required. Think I've got the fan control licked too, so now everything will work perfectly with nothing more than drivers from Windows Update Smile

so, which means, as of now I just install windows and update drivers. then HDMI audio should work, right? that's very exciting news. will try to install windows 10 again tonight.
(2016-11-16, 17:32)rhino Wrote: will try to install windows 10 again tonight
Are you sure there will be "next UEFI firmware update" tonight? Smile
(2016-11-16, 17:32)rhino Wrote: [quote='Matt Devo' pid='2457561' dateline='1479285856']
so, which means, as of now I just install windows and update drivers. then HDMI audio should work, right? that's very exciting news. will try to install windows 10 again tonight.

assuming you have the UEFI firmware / EFI install of Windows now, there's no drivers to manually update - everything should be handled via Windows Update (you might need to manually tell a few devices to update their driver via WU in device manager though).

(2016-11-16, 17:48)bbsc Wrote: Are you sure there will be "next UEFI firmware update" tonight? Smile

assuming nothing comes up, yes. Was hoping to offer this for Broadwell and Sandy/IvyBridge devices too, but the former is having some issues, and haven't gotten to the latter yet, so likely will release updates for Haswell devices first.
Matt, you're the best man, as always!

BTW, Windows 10 EnterpriseS N (LTSB) feels good even on 16 GB SSD:

(2016-11-16, 18:04)bbsc Wrote: Matt, you're the best man, as always!

BTW, Windows 10 EnterpriseS N (LTSB) feels good even on 16 GB SSD:

and Kodi will of course bitstream DD/DTS/THD/DTS-HD-MA/ATMOS etc
(2016-11-16, 17:48)bbsc Wrote:
(2016-11-16, 17:32)rhino Wrote: will try to install windows 10 again tonight
Are you sure there will be "next UEFI firmware update" tonight? Smile

ok, didn't make the midnight deadline, but the new UEFI Firmware is up -- all Haswell and Broadwell devices are fully working now under Windows Smile

to install/update, please run my Firmware Utility Script from https://mrchromebox.tech
Excellent.
My box is ready for the experiments and even has Ubuntu USB stick inserted Big Grin
Just need a few hours to get home...
In case anyone was interested, we were missing the UEFI IGD OpRegion protocol, which was causing a whole host of graphics issues (one of them being missing HDMI Audio).

I've added the OpRegion support to Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell, which fixes HDMI audio and also fixes some other issues.

For Haswell chromebook users, the Windows 8 installer now works properly, and for Sandy Bridge chromebook users, the Windows installers now work correctly.

You'll also notice a faster boot since we got rid of the horrible Video BIOS!

Also, if you look in the Intel Driver Control Panel, under Options and Support > Information Center, you'll find "Graphics Output Protocol" listed instead of "Video BIOS" Smile
So far so good.
HDMI audio now works without any tricks and the fan is spinning.
HWMonitor can now see the fan present and operational.

Still need to disable "Intel® Management Engine Interface" in the device manager for the box not to hang when restarting.

Cold boot is not every time successful, sometimes it hangs on UEFI stage.
(2016-11-17, 13:24)bbsc Wrote: Still need to disable "Intel® Management Engine Interface" in the device manager for the box not to hang when restarting.

Cold boot is not every time successful, sometimes it hangs on UEFI stage.

I can't reproduce these here - what device/config/windows version?
Dell Chromebox 3010 (2955U)
Original config with extra 2GB of RAM.

Windows version does not matter. There was a problem with "Intel® Management Engine Interface" on every firmware and different Windowses.

As for the cold boot - sometimes it stops at the moment when the bottom bar must begin to run. Only "Starting boot options" is visible and a single underline sign in the upper third of the screen (cursor, I guess).

Rebooting from RDP session (lock screen on the TV):

That's all. It's hanging.

Rebooting from desktop:

It's hanging too.
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4