Win HTPC Control Options
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some recommendations for the best way to control my HTPC. I currently have a kick-ass Windows 7-based HTPC with an AMD A10 processor connected to a basic 5.1 audio home theater system and a 50" Smart TV. I don't use any of the features of the Smart TV other than having it be a really nice monitor for my HTPC.

I use XBMC a fair amount, but I also watch a lot of streaming video through Chrome. I'm trying to find the best control option that will allow me to navigate easily both inside of XBMC and in Windows. Basic media controls are a must: volume, play/pause/stop, etc. A mouse control of some sort is necessary to use web services like Hulu or Amazon Instant Video. Programmable keys that allow me to easily launch programs would be nice, so that I don't have to rely on the mouse to do everything. A keyboard would be nice to have, but actually not essential since the vast majority of web services I use are hyperlinked. And finally, less important but still a consideration, would be the ability to allow multi-device control so that I could use the same device to turn off the TV. (I leave the HTPC on all the time, so no need to control Windows startup or shutdown.)

I am currently controlling my HTPC using the Logitech Wireless Touch keyboard. This has the benefit of allowing me full functionality but it comes with some drawbacks. First, my HTPC is about 10 feet away from where I sit, and this is just on the edge of the range for the device, so sometimes the mouse cursor is inaccurate. Second, even when I'm sitting closer, the touchpad is really crummy and just does not have a very fine level of control. Makes it hard to click buttons on webpages. Third, the thing is large and it's just not as convenient as a single handheld remote.

I have a FLIRC connector, which I have used to map an old remote. This worked pretty well for XBMC, but lacked useful controls for Windows or Chrome, meaning that unless I'm using XBMC, I'm back to the mouse and keyboard. I wind up not using it at all, because it's just a hassle to manage a keyboard AND a remote control.

The MX3-M controller looks like it would do a lot of what I want it to do, I'm just not sure how reliable it is.

Switching to a MCE controller looks like a good choice, too, but I'm not sure how effective it is outside of XBMC.

Given my requirements above, what recommendations do you have?

Cheers
Shannon

The MCE remotes
Shannon, I use the same keyboard and occassionally experiance issues by being just within the range of the dognle, some 4 meters away.
Sometimes my mouse pointer goes to sleep... wiggling the keyboard usually allows reconnection and the mouse pointer to wake up... if not i must move towards the screen...

But I primarily use a PS3 BT/IR remote which works well inside XBMC but hopeless within windows.
Range issues are next to non existant.
Luckily i don't do much outside XBMC so this PS3 BT/IR remote does mostly what i want.

Downside is that the PS3 BT/IR remote can't turn ON my PC and due to an internatl IR code error it can't turn ON my TV (but it can turn it OFF).
The othyer problem is that the Sony PS3 remote is not IR programable.
As such, there is no way to fix these IR issues (hense buying a IR reciever for the PS is likely not goint to work to allow me to turn ON the PC with this remote).

I'm curiuos as to how the MX3-M would work but if it is like teh controllers on teh latest Samsung smart tv's, then i expect it would be laggy which i would find ratehr frustrating...

So basically i'm in a similar situation to you Smile
I'm a XBMC novice :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Control Options0