HD MPEG-4 Playback impressions
i am considering using xbmc so that i can watch alot of the xvid/divx/ogm/mkv files but i am also starting to get alot of hd mpeg-4 videos (these are primarily anime eps aired in hd and encoded to 720p mpeg-4)

what im wondering is if anyone has tested video files that have similar specs as what ill be getting. i have read through what i could find on here about everyone's experiences with mp4 content, but nothing like what ill be using so i thought id ask specifically.

for example, one such hd file has the following specs:

-uses the .mkv container
-mpeg-4 avc (1800kbps, 1280x720, 23.976fps)
-1 audio stream (6 channel aac lc)

now that represents the most demanding of the hd anime ive come across so if anyone has tried a similar spec video, then ill feel alot better going this route since its unlikely anything would be done at a higher spec.

now unfortunately i dont know the specifics used when these were encoded so i dont know if they used settings that would heavily impact performance (the ones disucssed in other threads here). thanks for any advice that you guys can give.
search is your freind - alot has been said on avc decoding for xbmc.

well yeah, i have read all of the threads covering the subject, but i was wondering if anyone had tried something of the same specs as my example video.

my first thought was that it would not play properly, but the specs arent quite as demanding as the samples used by people testing mp4 support.

i just wanted to have an idea before i decided to mod my xbox in order to use xbmc. if i must reencode them, then so be it, but i wanted to see if i could get away with not doing anything to them.

but it does seem like there is some real progress going on and that it may be possible for smooth playback in the near future.
mod it, try it, let us know!
if youve read the threads, you would know that avc hi profile encoding under special circumstances is available for square pixel resolutions below standard defintion d1. so, that is never going to happen at 720p.

for main profile encodes i highly doubt that 720p hd will decode on the xbox with xbmc under current builds.

you have not included sufficient detail in your media types to identify the encoding used in your media.

aac lc is fine.
ok that was my other question, how do i identify what was used to encode these files? i used a program called media info to get the info i was able to provide, but what should i use to check for more detailed items such as the encoding method?
yamb has infos extraction. relies on recent mp4box builds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD MPEG-4 Playback impressions0