Help please.
Hi there,

I haven't been on here for a couple of years as once I'd got XBMC set up on my Jailbroken ATV 2 everything was fine.....until now.

Mum recently moved house and is now living in a village. The only thing that's changed is I've ditched the old Belkin router for the modem/router Plusnet have provided. Living on a farm the Belkin didn't have any security set up but the Plusnet router does.

In the ATV settings I've connected it to the internet (both through the Plusnet modem and the Apple Time Capsule).

I changed the admin password on the Time Capsule as I couldn't remember what it was (it was stored in keychain and the old password didn't need to be put in to change to a new one).

This is where I thought the problem lay. XBMC wasn't adding new content, nor will it play anything. I couldn't find out how to edit things so I could put in the new password so I went through everything from start to finish to set it all up again (setting new paths to look for the content on my Time Capsule)

Nothing it working. I get "new path can't be read, do you still want to add anyway" I select yes as I had this issue when first setting up, only for it to have actually worked. Now when I do this it adds the path, but when I click on it to set it up I get "operation timed out".

Any help/suggestions?

Please keep instructions simple as I'm Autistic and find anything overly technical a bit confusing.
Mid 2009 15" MacBook Pro 10.8.2
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
2 x Jailbroken ATV2 iOS5.0.2
2 x Apple 2TB Time Capsules
Sony Bravia KDL40NX723B LED HD 1080p 3D TV, 40 inch with Built-in Wi-Fi and Freeview HD
It's probably really simple to fix, but it's only simple when you actually know how.
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
Sony Bravia KDL40NX723B LED HD 1080p 3D TV, 40 inch with Built-in Wi-Fi and Freeview HD
49 views and only 1 reply (mine).

Surely someone has some suggestions?
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
It doesn't matter what I try to do I just end up with

"operation timed out"

or

Remote Share: "could not connect to network server"

Internet is working on my apple TV. The path to the folders on the TC that contain my movies and TV Shows are correct so what on earth is going on?
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
I'm not aware of how they work I managed fixing the error my changing the tx in addion in the zip file navi x zip ete from 1.0 to 2.1.0 then I rezipped it then installed it from zip again n works fine I've also added mash up source using same way
UPDATE: I've updated to the latest version of XBMC thinking the old version I had may no longer be supported. Things looked promising as the TVDB add on etc all updated.

It still won't load new content or play existing.

I'm still getting the "operation timed out" and "could not connect to network server" error messages. :/

Just received a message saying that album artwork needs updated and that no downloading is required and it can't even do that. Sad
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
Your IP is wrong for sure then. Check if the ip of the time capsule has changed. Also provide a debug log (wiki) instead insulting the readers in "not willing to help" *grr*.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-01, 11:50)Memphiz Wrote: Your IP is wrong for sure then. Check if the ip of the time capsule has changed. Also provide a debug log (wiki) instead insulting the readers in "not willing to help" *grr*.

Just to be sure, the I.P address I need to use is that of the Time Capsule? which is what I am using. Later when I have time I will try changing the Time Capsule I.P address and setting up new share folders/paths again.
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
(2014-09-01, 11:50)Memphiz Wrote: Your IP is wrong for sure then. Check if the ip of the time capsule has changed. Also provide a debug log (wiki) instead insulting the readers in "not willing to help" *grr*.

Well, I tried changing the I.P address and setting up the pathways again. I'm still getting the "time out" error messages. I've tried both I.P addresses.

I can't understand why changing something as simple as a password would do this. Setting up new pathways again to use the new password is causing the same error messages as before. Sad

I really am at a loss now. Sad

As for providing a debug log. My Autism can't get my head around the instructions for doing it.
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
Hi Happy,

Sometimes, it's best to take a step back to the drawing board; try following this approach ...

1. Map out your network on paper; nothing fancy (draw a cloud for Internet, then your modem, then your router, then how your devices connect)
  2. Login to your router and note your LAN settings (DHCP IP Range, subnet, gateway, wireless settings, etc.); ensure that your device are in the correct IP Range, Subnet, and using the same gateway as the router
  3. For your wireless connections, try temporarily connecting via LAN cables ... this will help you rule out wireless-related issues; once it's working over wire, deal with wireless
  4. Test all of the passwords you assigned to rule out authentication issues; if necessary, temporarily disable authentication, once everything is working, add your security layer back in

... once you've validated your LAN, it will make it easier to isolate XBMC-specific connectivity issues. At the moment, there isn't sufficient information to help you.

Respectfully,

* EDIT *

The Time Capsule IP Addresses should be the same (network/wired or wireless) to ensure that your devices (XBMC, Mac, etc.) always "find them". Haven't used Time Capsules in a very long time but if I recall, the Internet tab should remain empty. You'll need to make sure that the shared folders are accessible.

Here's a sample network diagram; note that it doesn't show your two aTV2's ... for the aTV2's, I would reserve an IP Address for each unit in the DHCP of the router to make them easier to manage.

All i can tell you is that a timeout error has nothing to do with changed password or authentication problems.

It fails already a layer deeper (in the network connection itself). So basically - what gagnehj said. Ensure that the atv2 is in the same subnet in as the time capsule and not some fancy wifi isolation setting is turned on (which would seperate clients even if they are in the same subnet).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Just to add, Plusnet's routers are sent out pre-configured with an IP address of 192.168.1.254, so unless you have changed it in the router, you should set up your network with 192.168.1.x addresses.

Belkin on the other hand are pre-configured with a default address of 192.168.2.1 which would work with your current addressing scheme, but not with the new plusnet router.

HTH
Learning Linux the hard way !!
So in the screenshot above I changed..

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.5

Router Address: 192.168.1.254

Set new pathways and it's worked....sort of.

TV Shows scanned in fine, but in my Movies section I have two of every movie. Obviously only one plays. Short of going through them one by one and removing the non working link from the library is there a quicker way of doing this?
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
Yeah, do clean library. Should remove inaccessible paths. (XBMC -> Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Clean Library)
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-09-03, 22:45)black_eagle Wrote: Yeah, do clean library. Should remove inaccessible paths. (XBMC -> Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Clean Library)

Great, thanks, will let you know how I get on in December when I next visit mum.
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help please.1