Linux Cmyth-PVR issue with subtitles/close captioning
Have an issue with subtitles/close captioning . enabling then crashes the xbmc. subtitles are embedded in the mpeg2 stream and play just fine in xbmc when you play either a recording or just open a recorded file. but for live tv, when you go browse for subtitles and select a channel, picture stops after a few seconds and xbmc spits out a crash dump. selecting teletext does absolutely nothing.

any help would be appreciated.
(2014-09-01, 08:05)krutoileshii Wrote: Have an issue with subtitles/close captioning . enabling then crashes the xbmc. subtitles are embedded in the mpeg2 stream and play just fine in xbmc when you play either a recording or just open a recorded file. but for live tv, when you go browse for subtitles and select a channel, picture stops after a few seconds and xbmc spits out a crash dump. selecting teletext does absolutely nothing.

any help would be appreciated.

I think you tried to download subtitle instead enable. This functionality is not implemented by the addon.
To enable subtitle for liveTV you have to click "sound" properties (right of video props icon) and then enable subtitle from this menu.
Same thing for recorded.
That's not the case. Basically on live tv it doesn't see the subtitle/teletext stream at al so enabling it does nothing. If you open the same file through the file browser , then the stream is present. No processing is done.
What format are the closed captions? A mediainfo output on a recorded file might help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So, with Gotham 13.1+ subtitles don't run anymore with addon pvr.mythtv.cmyth using demuxing. An identifier mask has changed ... I fixed it in the new addon pvr.mythtv. This will be available soon in the nigthlybuild for Kodi helix only. Else you have to build it yourself from sources.

If you want use absolutely cmyth addon then the workaround is not use internal demuxing of the addon.
(2014-09-05, 01:58)janbar Wrote: So, with Gotham 13.1+ subtitles don't run anymore with addon pvr.mythtv.cmyth using demuxing. An identifier mask has changed ... I fixed it in the new addon pvr.mythtv. This will be available soon in the nigthlybuild for Kodi helix only. Else you have to build it yourself from sources.

If you want use absolutely cmyth addon then the workaround is not use internal demuxing of the addon.
I tried the new myth addon a couple of nights ago (in the Milhouse openelec helix custom build) and could not get subtitles to work. MPEG 2 files recorded by mythbackend from an HDHomerun, with embedded subtitles. ATSC broadcast.
What format are the closed captions? A mediainfo output on a recorded file might help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-17, 23:22)nickr Wrote: What format are the closed captions? A mediainfo output on a recorded file might help.
Code:
General
ID                                       : 17091 (0x42C3)
Complete name                            : /Volumes/TV/MythTV/1111_20140801000000.mpg
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 20.5 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 34mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 19.0 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 49 (0x31)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
Codec ID                                 : 2
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 17.7 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 65.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.285
Time code of first frame                 : 22:04:01;01
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
Stream size                              : 19.1 GiB (93%)

Audio
ID                                       : 52 (0x34)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : 129
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
Channel count                            : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 425 MiB (2%)
Language                                 : English

Text #1
ID                                       : 49 (0x31)-CC1
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID                                       : 49 (0x31)-1
Format                                   : EIA-708

Text #3
ID                                       : 49 (0x31)-0
Format                                   : EIA-708
Language                                 : English
(2014-09-17, 23:00)allan87 Wrote:
(2014-09-05, 01:58)janbar Wrote: So, with Gotham 13.1+ subtitles don't run anymore with addon pvr.mythtv.cmyth using demuxing. An identifier mask has changed ... I fixed it in the new addon pvr.mythtv. This will be available soon in the nigthlybuild for Kodi helix only. Else you have to build it yourself from sources.

I tried the new myth addon a couple of nights ago (in the Milhouse openelec helix custom build) and could not get subtitles to work. MPEG 2 files recorded by mythbackend from an HDHomerun, with embedded subtitles. ATSC broadcast.

So you press 'T' when you are watching TV and what happens? A debug log (wiki) might also help.
(2014-09-18, 07:13)nickr Wrote: So you press 'T' when you are watching TV and what happens? A debug log (wiki) might also help.
I'll have to do the debug log later, and I don't know what "T" is supposed to do, because I have OpenELEC running on a Pi, controlled by the TV remote. My experience, in detail, is as follows:
- Play recording
- Press OK key (at centre of up-down-left-right keys) to bring up menu at bottom of screen
- navigate to subtitles button at bottom of screen - shows only "download"
- navigate further right to sound button (the little speaker) and select "enable subtitles". Although enabled, you can't select a subtitle below in the same dialog — the selection is set to "none" and the option is inactive.
- no subtitles are playing
- navigate back to subtitles button, which now contains further items, including (the exact name may be a bit different - this is from memory) "activate subtitles", which is already on, and "browse for subtitles".
- If you select "browse", you get a list of shows (episodes of the same show that have been recorded, I think) with the show being watched already highlighted.
- If you click OK in this dialog, you return to the video, which plays for a second or two, without any subtitles.
- The Pi freezes up so hard at this point that (although the frozen frame is still on the screen), there is no response to button presses and an SSH session can't even be initiated. Only option is to unplug power.

Let me add - if it was supposed to work once I enabled subtitles in the sound dialog, I feel that this procedure is not only cumbersome, but unintuitive.
T toggles subtitles, it cycles through the available subs.
Connected a keyboard, played a recording that has embedded closed captioning, pressed T. No subtitles. Pressed T again. No subtitles. A few more tries, still no subtitles. During this time, I was watching for log entries with tail, and there were no log entries.

I will retry this weekend with debugging on.

Same file info as in post #8. Raspberry Pi running openELEC custom build with pvr.mythtv 1.9.22. Backend is myth 0.27.1.

I also tried toggling T on my mac using a recent nightly with pvr.mythtv 1.9.21. Also no effect.
Looks like the root of this problem goes pretty deep: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144517
Sad 
(2014-10-24, 19:37)allan87 Wrote: Looks like the root of this problem goes pretty deep: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144517

oh! Undecided
Good news: Fernetmenta has now added support for ATSC closed captions (i.e. captioning in North American broadcasting). This significant enhancement is already available in nightly builds. An updated version, fixing a bug with certain kinds of captions, should be in nightly builds by the weekend.

As indicated in the previous posts, North American users were previously unable to activate closed captions in Live TV on Kodi/XBMC.

More info here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=144517&page=6

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Cmyth-PVR issue with subtitles/close captioning0