New Freesat HD HTPC build - sanity check needed!
Hi all

First post on this forum so be gentle Smile

Anyways, been testing XBMC on my laptop for a few weeks serving up my media stored on Synology NAS and I love it. Now my subscription to Sky is coming to an end I want to replace it with a Freesat HD media center running XBMC.
I just need a few guru's to sanity check my build if that's ok?

I need it to handle 3D blu-ray, live TV via a dual DVB-S2 tuner and play 1080p mkv/mp4 from Synology. My main worry is if the AMD APU will be ok. I will not be running any games on this. It will be connected to my main TV via HDMI so only 1080p is needed. Not worried about sound options since TV is only connected to a soundbar via HDMI ARC.

Here goes....

Case:- OrigenAE MM100 (120w external PSU & IR included) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...=CA-024-OA
APU:- AMD Athlon 5350 (Kabini) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IO...ROKL5A1OLE
MBoard:- Asus AM1I-A http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IS...ROKL5A1OLE
RAM:- 4GB DDR3 1600
Tuner:- TBS 6982 Dual DVB-S2 http://www.quietpc.com/tbs-tv-cards
XBMC Skin:- AEON MQ 5
60GB SSD
Blu-ray drive

I understand through reading some of these threads that I need to look at additional software for live tv and bluray playback but I'll deal with that once it's built, just want to make sure the hardware is up to the job.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

**Updated 05/09/2014**

Thanks all for your feedback

I have ordered the following after your input and some research

Case:- OrigenAE MM100
Processor:- Core i3 4130T
MBoard:- ASUS H97i PLUS
RAM:- 2x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
SSD:- Crucial 120GB M.2
Tuner:- TBS6982 Dual DVB-S2

Cost is way more than I originally intended to pay but have left out the Blu-ray drive and will add later, my PS4 will have to suffice for that. Like the idea of using that M.2 slot on the ASUS board instead of a 2.5" SSD.

Will post build pics and info/tests if anyone is interested once they all arrive.
The only issue I see is 1080i content, if your channels output 1080i like most "full hd" tv channels do then your apu might struggle. I just received my test unit of the amd 5350 so I'll know more about its performance tomorrow but my first impression is that it's pretty weak...
(2014-09-03, 01:13)RaggSokk3n Wrote: The only issue I see is 1080i content, if your channels output 1080i like most "full hd" tv channels do then your apu might struggle. I just received my test unit of the amd 5350 so I'll know more about its performance tomorrow but my first impression is that it's pretty weak...

Thanks for your feedback. This is what I was afraid of..... I have bought the other components but I'm holding off on motherboard, CPU and ram until I've done some more research. Would be nice to hear your impressions of the 5350, as well as what motherboard you have gone for. Reading the other AMD kabini thread reveals some issues with the msi motherboards.

I'm starting to lean towards the AMD A6 apu now but at 65w its a bit of a jump.
I'd look at an i3. Doesn't have to be current gen based on budget. But it'd cover everything and be quick to boot!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

My 5350 handles 1080i via my DVB-T2 stick just fine, although I do have to switch the scaling method to lanczos3 optimised rather than my usual default of lanczos3 otherwise despite XBMC reporting no dropped frames there's a little bit of jerking on any scenes that pan around
(2014-09-03, 21:01)jammyb Wrote: I'd look at an i3. Doesn't have to be current gen based on budget. But it'd cover everything and be quick to boot!

Yeah didn't really consider the i3 since AMD is a much cheaper option. Don't really have a budget as such, just wanted to keep it as low as possible but ensuring its up to the job.

Researching the AMD a6 5400k I'm seeing mixed opinions on power consumption which makes we wonder if a 120w psu that's supplied with the case will be enough with the additional components.

I'm now considering the i3 4130t since its only 35w and seems to be able to handle what I need. I know the AMD a6 has a better gpu but I will be running 0 games on this.
I gave up on my AM1 machine, I just couldn't get it stable. I think there's still some issues with the chipset end of the SOC. The 2 SATA ports maximum sucks, too. I'm using the same Asus board you mentioned along with top-end Sempron.

Don't bother with the i3 'T', just get the normal i3, there's little difference in power consumption, and I think the GPU in the T is slower.
(2014-09-04, 13:00)HellDiver Wrote: I gave up on my AM1 machine, I just couldn't get it stable. I think there's still some issues with the chipset end of the SOC. The 2 SATA ports maximum sucks, too. I'm using the same Asus board you mentioned along with top-end Sempron.

Don't bother with the i3 'T', just get the normal i3, there's little difference in power consumption, and I think the GPU in the T is slower.

Thanks, already ordered the parts though! Should be enough if it is slightly slower will let you know how it all goes when the parts arrive.
(2014-09-04, 13:00)HellDiver Wrote: I gave up on my AM1 machine, I just couldn't get it stable. I think there's still some issues with the chipset end of the SOC. The 2 SATA ports maximum sucks, too. I'm using the same Asus board you mentioned along with top-end Sempron.

I absolutely love my AM1 machine but I went with the top of the range Athlon SoC rather than a Sempron,
I would go as far as saying its my best/favourite tech purchase of the past few years.
What this cheap, low powered system does still kinda amazes me several months after I set it up! It really has no right to do the things I'm asking of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Freesat HD HTPC build - sanity check needed!0