Xbox One-Like HDMI Passthrough?
I have a XBMCbuntu HTPC in my living room, and am wondering if there is a way to view the HDMI signal from my Rogers Cable Box on XBMC. As I am in Canada, cable video is encrypted in such a way that the traditional PVR functions do not work.

However what I would like to do is have an option within XBMC to select my Cable Box. At that point I would be able to view the video coming from the box. Similar to how Cable passthrough works on the Xbox One. Of course to change channels, etc I would have to use the Cable Box remote instead of the XBMC remote.

Is this possible? I can't seem to find much information about this specific scenario.
Hi.

Not familiar with xbox one but seen what you talking about, however not in XBMC/Kodi never seen it and had similar interest as that equipment type/purpose does live in this house, but not via XBMC/Kodi.

Would make for a interesting feature request. if this thread was magically to appear in that sub-forum.
It would be an awesome feature if video from the other devices in your TV cabinet could be routed through XBMC/Kodi. No more need to change inputs back and forth.
You'd need additional hardware to allow this in the first. Easiest option would be an HDMI switch if you don't have anymore HDMI inputs on your TV
(2014-09-02, 19:18)Hitcher Wrote: You'd need additional hardware to allow this in the first. Easiest option would be an HDMI switch if you don't have anymore HDMI inputs on your TV

That's not really the issue I was concerned with. I just like the idea of having my cable channels integrated within Xbmc/Kodi, making it an all-in-one media centre. Ideally this would be achieved through a PVR/Live TV setup where XBMC handles the recording and guide/channel navigation, however, because of the way Canadian cable providers encrypt their video this is not possible. Having an HDMI passthrough feature would be the second best option as it would allow XBMC to act as the "TV screen", displaying the cable output.

The same technology could be extended to additional devices such as Blu-Ray players, gaming consoles, etc.
if you can get kodi to display it, you could use an hdmi capture card, and if you put a splitter before it, you can hookup multiple devices
HDCP was developed to protect from this. AFAIK this was already cracked, though not legal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One-Like HDMI Passthrough?0