Adapt a patch. Who's up for a challenge?
Have you actually tried building the module that ned linked to ? , because I've just built it against my kernel (3.13.0-36-generic) and it built with no errors.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Was this for the patch that adds support for remote wonder plus, the one I have in my last post? The original driver update from Torrey Hoffman to add the original 2 remotes is already in place and makes the remote wonder 1 work perfectly and RM2 partially. This is the one Ned linked to. Now assuming that is the same one done in 2004 it builds without issue because it is already working with the kernel. My remote is the Remote wonder plus (3) and it is almost exactly the same as the remote wonder 1 but uses slightly different commands that do that get interpreted correctly by the driver and this is why the patch is needed.

Now if we are talking about the add on patch to add support for remote wonder plus then I may be doing something wrong, im a total newbie when it comes to this. I'll try it again now. Would there be any issues if I used ssh to do it as root? I dont think that should be a problem with that, but maybe that is why I cant get this to work.
I compiled this -> Link the source code for the new modules: pastebin.com/eP1wiGtT from your last post. I don't have the hardware to test it though.

If you can see the difference between the original code and this patch you speak of, then it should be easy to add to the original code.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-09-25, 18:57)drivesoslow Wrote: You could try this patch for 3.1

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/dri...te.c?v=3.1

That is NOT a patch, it is the full driver code.

The driver appears to be in the kernel on openelec. Can you try openelec and see if it works? You don't need to touch your hard drive, install it to a usb stick and trial it.

In fact the driver is in the 3.16 linux kernel.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-25, 22:22)nickr Wrote:
(2014-09-25, 18:57)drivesoslow Wrote: You could try this patch for 3.1

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/dri...te.c?v=3.1

That is NOT a patch, it is the full driver code.

The driver appears to be in the kernel on openelec. Can you try openelec and see if it works? You don't need to touch your hard drive, install it to a usb stick and trial it.

In fact the driver is in the 3.16 linux kernel.

The driver code is included in the kernel YES.. However this small patch listed below is not included and it is what makes my remote wonder (3) plus work.

I have tried my remote many many times with openelec and it does not work as it is and I believe that is due to this missing patch. The issue is 2 fold for me.

1. I can not apply this patch in openelec as it is, because openelec does not include many common linux command line tools like "makefile".

2. I am pretty new to linux in general and maybe making errors none of you guys, who know more would make. I am using ubuntu mini to make this patch below but then want to somehow install that in openelec. I really need a know how to move a patch from ubuntu to openelec, once I make the thing that is.

If you guys can compile this ati_remote_plus.o kernel driver and tell me exactly how you did it and then how to install it in openelec then I will be a VERY HAPPY CAMPER.. THANK YOU AGAIN for your HELP!!

Code:
If like me you have an ATI Remote Wonder in his "plus" version, you could not make it work properly with the "ati_remote" basic module.

So I'll explain in this tutorial how settled and set!

(I realize this tutorial Ubuntu 12.04.4-3.11.0-18-generic)

Started by connecting the receiver and then ATI typing this command:

Code:

lsusb

That should be displayed

Code:

0bc7: 0004 X10 Wireless Technology, Inc. X10 Receiver

The receiver and therefore well detected by Linux!

1 Module Creation and autoloading

We'll have to compile a new module containing the bases "ati_remote" but integrating our new remote.

To begin creating a folder "atiplus" or you want:

Code:

sudo mkdir atiplus

Returned to the folder with:

Code:

cd / atiplus

Then creates a new file in which you copied the source code of the new module:

Code:

sudo gedit ati_remote_plus.c

Link the source code for the new modules: pastebin.com/eP1wiGtT

(The source code for the new module from this source: www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg28006.html )

I purposely changed the new source code to disable the "mouse" on the remote control that generated "freeze" at rehearsals!

Then you need to create a final "Makefile" file:

Code:

sudo gedit Makefile

We copy in there:

Code:

obj-m: = ati_remote_plus.o
KDIR: = / lib / modules / $ (shell uname r) / build
PWD: = $ (shell pwd)

all:
$ (MAKE) $ C (KDIR) M = $ (PWD) modules

clean:
$ (MAKE) $ C (KDIR) M = $ (PWD) clean

Is saved and you type:

Code:

make

Now that the module and compiled, we will have the loaded at startup.

We start by creating a folder to receive the module:

Code:

sudo mkdir p / lib / modules / $ (uname r) / kernel / drivers / ati_remote_plus

The module is copied to the folder:

Code:

ati_remote_plus.ko cp / lib / modules / $ (uname r) / kernel / drivers / ati_remote_plus /

Then we will edit the "modules" file that launches the modules ... niark niark :

Code:

sudo gedit / etc / modules

Then you add in the wake of the modules:

Code:

ati_remote_plus

We update the list of modules:

Code:

sudo depmod

Last steps to prevent the loading of the module ati_remote "basic".

We'll have to add the module to the blacklist, so you edit this file:

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add all at the top of the list:
Code:

# Replaced by ati_remote_plus
ati_remote blacklist

From there you can restart the computer, start the "ati_remote" module will not be loaded and the module "ati_remote_plus" we have compiled shortly before the replacement.

2-detection and configuration of the remote

We'll installed ir-keytable to test and set our remote:

Code:

sudo apt-get install ir-keytable

Once finished installing type:

Code:

ir-keytable

You should see a few details this:

Code:

Found / sys / class / rc / rc0 / (/ dev / input / event3) with:
Driver ati_remote, table rc-ati-x10
Supported protocols: other
Enabled protocols:
Extra capabilities: <access denied>

ir-keytable does detect our remote!

To test the remote control type:

Code:

keytable ir-t d / dev / input / event3

[Color = red

Warning replace your well !! input [/ color]

Press the buttons you should see entries appear this way:

Code:

1396193942.353173: event key down: KEY_3 (0x0004)
1396193942.353173: event sync
1396193942.353186: event key up: KEY_3 (0x0004)
1396193942.353186: event sync

We will now configure the buttons.

To do this we will create two configuration files:

Code:

sudo gedit / lib / udev / rc_keymaps / ati_x10

Copy / paste:

Code:

# Table ati_x10 type: OTHER
0x000A KEY_MUTE
0x0025 KEY_PLAY
0x0029 KEY_PAUSE
0x0028 KEY_STOP
0x001d KEY_LEFT
0x001F KEY_RIGHT
0x001a KEY_UP
0x0022 KEY_DOWN
0x001E KEY_KPENTER
0x0021 KEY_BACK
0x001b KEY_I

Code:

sudo gedit / etc / rc_keymaps / ati_x10

You copy into it the same as in the previous file!

These are but settings but you can safely change the assignments as you like!

Finally we will ensure that our config file is automatically loaded:

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/rc_maps.cfg

Copy it in the front line:

Code:

* Rc-ati-x10 / lib / udev / rc_keymaps / ati_x10

Just above:
Code:

* Rc-twinhan1027 / lib / udev / rc_keymaps / twinhan_vp1027_dvbs

Voila! it's over!
OK I understand better now what we are doing. What version of openelec are you using?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-26, 00:50)nickr Wrote: OK I understand better now what we are doing. What version of openelec are you using?

Openelec 4.07. Like I said I can try to do this again in ubuntu mini but its going to be a challenge to figure out how to make this work in openelec.

Can you help me by walking through how to do this in openelec? Its unrelated but I was able to get my mesa driven intel 845g graphics to work with a small edit to the way openelec boots up the mesa driver and requests openGL, but this is far more complicated then that was. I am also leaving on a trip soon and will have access to this forum but not the machine I want to get this to work on, perhaps If we come up with something I will simply bring the remote with me and test it on another system. If not I will be back after oct 9th and able to do more work on this. Thank You again for your help...
I made a patch here, http://paste.fedoraproject.org/136625/41169317/raw/

It compiles but I'm not sure if it works because I had to comment out one line because of a change to the rc-core in 3.16.

If you haven't already just make a fresh compile of the OpenELEC github repo. Then, do the following steps after it has successfully built OpenELEC once.

Code:
wget http://paste.fedoraproject.org/136625/41169317/raw/ -O packages/linux/patches/3.16.3/linux-063-ati_remote_plus.patch

then
Code:
PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 ./scripts/clean linux
then,
Code:
PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 make release
Then when it builds the kernel it will prompt you about a config change. press "m". You can get around this if you modify the kernel config in projects/Generic/linux/linux.x86_64.conf but this is outside the scope of this.

I assume you need the rc_keytables part as well, but this would require a seperate patch on the v4l-utils package.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
@Irsuak beat me to it., and by the look of it knows a lot more about it than me!
(2014-09-26, 03:09)lrusak Wrote: I made a patch here, http://paste.fedoraproject.org/136625/41169317/raw/

It compiles but I'm not sure if it works because I had to comment out one line because of a change to the rc-core in 3.16.

If you haven't already just make a fresh compile of the OpenELEC github repo. Then, do the following steps after it has successfully built OpenELEC once.

Code:
wget http://paste.fedoraproject.org/136625/41169317/raw/ -O packages/linux/patches/3.16.3/linux-063-ati_remote_plus.patch

then
Code:
then,
Code:
Then when it builds the kernel it will prompt you about a config change. press "m". You can get around this if you modify the kernel config in projects/Generic/linux/linux.x86_64.conf but this is outside the scope of this.

I assume you need the rc_keytables part as well, but this would require a seperate patch on the v4l-utils package.

Irusak YOU ROCK.. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will try to test this as soon as possible. Darn I've go to much to do for this trip but all I wanna do is try to test this out.

I'm sure figuring out IR-keytables wont be to hard, I hope..
(2014-09-26, 04:44)madhits Wrote: Irusak YOU ROCK.. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will try to test this as soon as possible. Darn I've go to much to do for this trip but all I wanna do is try to test this out.

Try it before you get too excited. Just because it compiles doesn't mean it will work.

Also, this way you can disable the ati_remote kernel module and just leave the ati_remote_plus kernel module enabled. This makes it so you don't have to blacklist ati_remote but it's not hard to do so.

I can help you out more with this, but I'm not going to hold your hand Wink
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-09-26, 05:12)lrusak Wrote:
(2014-09-26, 04:44)madhits Wrote: Irusak YOU ROCK.. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will try to test this as soon as possible. Darn I've go to much to do for this trip but all I wanna do is try to test this out.

Try it before you get too excited. Just because it compiles doesn't mean it will work.

Also, this way you can disable the ati_remote kernel module and just leave the ati_remote_plus kernel module enabled. This makes it so you don't have to blacklist ati_remote but it's not hard to do so.

I can help you out more with this, but I'm not going to hold your hand Wink

Well I appreciate it. I wont be back until oct 9th or 10th. Once I get back I plan to poor some time into this to see how to get this working. Anyway I can make these changes on an existing openelec install? Otherwise I have to reinstall my current setup. There has to be a way to add this to openelec isnt there?
(2014-09-26, 16:22)madhits Wrote: Well I appreciate it. I wont be back until oct 9th or 10th. Once I get back I plan to poor some time into this to see how to get this working. Anyway I can make these changes on an existing openelec install? Otherwise I have to reinstall my current setup. There has to be a way to add this to openelec isnt there?

Sorry but this has to be compiled from scratch. OpenELEC has a read only filesystem.
You don't have to "reinstall". Just update openelec by copying the new openelec tar file over and reboot.
lrusak,

The patch is missing. Any chance you still have it?

Thanks.

(2014-09-26, 03:09)lrusak Wrote: I made a patch here, http://paste.fedoraproject.org/136625/41169317/raw/

Code:

then
Code:
then,
Code:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adapt a patch. Who's up for a challenge?0