Send Youtube link from iOS device?
Hello,

On my android tablet, after installing Yatse, the official Youtube app has an additional entry when tapping "share" to "Play video on XBMC" or something like that. This stops the video playing on the tablet, and pushes the link to XBMC which automatically plays it. The tablet is free to be turned off, continue browsing, etc. I was wondering if there was some similar solution for iOS? Currently there is Airplay but in addition to being flakey, playback stops when I turn the screen off, and I don't know whether the video is either being downloaded twice or it is actually being streamed from the iDevice to XBMC instead of XBMC getting it from Youtube directly.

There are remotes for XBMC that can do this, but they appear to require you to browse Youtube within the actual remote app, which isn't as intuitive as the official app or other dedicated Youtube third party apps. Is there any way of achieving this, without a jailbreak? Perhaps with iOS 8? Airplay is broken in iOS 8 at the moment.

Thanks!

Edit: for clarification, when I say "XBMC" I mean XBMC running on a PC
1. Airplay only transfers the URL - XBMC will stream directly from youtube
2. Up until ios7 I can pretty well turn off the screen and the video continues to play (though the current youtube.app breaks airplay with XBMC - but it works when sued from safari).
3. iOS8 will break airplay with XBMC maybe forever. (encryption becomes mendatory and can't be provided by xbmc).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for clarifying things. Is there an alternative to pushing the link through Airplay? What does Android/Yatse use in my previous example? Would it be possible to implement something similar with the new extensions in iOS 8?
Yatse uses XBMCs jsonrpc protocol for starting playback of a foreign url i guess. Something similar can be done with all iOS versions (its simple json over tcp) - no need for any apple specific extensions...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
But to allow it to be pushed from the Youtube app or from Youtube in Safari? Possible without a jailbreak?
Without a jailbreak? Unlikely. The YouTube app and Safari will handle things in a specific manner and there wouldn't be a way to redirect the action or link so that XBMC/Kodi can receive it. It might be possible with a 3rd party iOS browser from the App Store, but I don't know of one off hand that would allow such customization.
As said - current youtube.app doesn't even send a common readable URL anymore. They send something proprietary which only native airplay sinks seem to understand (btw. atv2 running ios4 doesn't work with current yt.app anymore too - so basically its broken imo).
Hitting the "share" button in iOS 8 Safari exports a nice regular Youtube link, would it not be possible to set up an extension to send it to XBMC? It's no Airplay but it would work as well as Yatse's feature, though I don't know of its limitations http://www.imore.com/action-extensions-ios-8-explained

Thanks devs for answering my probably uninformed questions
If you refer to the new ExtensionPoint API from iOS then this would be a seperate iOS8 app which just has a configure dialog (if even) for adding possible XBMC targets (or even autodetect them via bonjour). This extensionpoint would be visible in the share menu you mentioned then and might be able to send that link to XBMC (using jsonrpc then). So yes - something like that would work i guess.
I wonder if that's something joethefox could look into for the iOS Remote, where the iOS Remote would make an extension for YouTube.
Well that's promising, and perhaps more intuitive than Youtube-Airplay was in iOS 7, I will post a feature request in its sub forum
Quote:Hello,

On my android tablet, after installing Yatse, the official Youtube app has an additional entry when tapping "share" to "Play video on XBMC" or something like that. This stops the video playing on the tablet, and pushes the link to XBMC which automatically plays it. The tablet is free to be turned off, continue browsing, etc. I was wondering if there was some similar solution for iOS?

for ios there is "XBMC Constellation" with this feature. Works great.
(2014-12-19, 17:28)Oldhound Wrote:
Quote:Hello,

On my android tablet, after installing Yatse, the official Youtube app has an additional entry when tapping "share" to "Play video on XBMC" or something like that. This stops the video playing on the tablet, and pushes the link to XBMC which automatically plays it. The tablet is free to be turned off, continue browsing, etc. I was wondering if there was some similar solution for iOS?

for ios there is "XBMC Constellation" with this feature. Works great.

Yes, but from what I remember, you had to browse Youtube from within XBMC Constellation, rather than say Safari or the official Youtube app. It does look like such a feature would be possible with iOS 8, but no app developers have implemented it.
Any news on this?
+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Send Youtube link from iOS device?3