Solved tMM 2.6.1 Update Data Sources Slow
Ever since I updated to tMM 2,6,1 the process of updating data sources takes considerable longer then it use too. Any ideas?
there are two reasons for it

1) we worked too fast with the database engine we used - this resulted in inconsistencies; thus we included more locking to make it safer (it is not 100% safe now, but far better than it was with 2.5.5; I do not find atm where I could improve it more :/)
2) there is a bug which does a really slow directory listing - this may also be a reason for the slow updating. this is already fixed for 2.6.2

A prerelease with the new fixes will probably come today evening (if I find some spare time between work and RL..)
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Thank you. I will wait for the 2.6.2 release and try that. I will let you know if that resolved the issue.

Thank you again for a great program!
After upgrading to 2.6.2, I am still experiencing a slow Data Source Update.
okay, please define "slower"

just did update data source on different machines with different OS/setups and it is not "slow". It is indeed not as fast as with 2.5.5 (because of the locks), but it is definitely not slow here..

which data source update is slow (movie, Tv shows)?
how many items do you have in your library
local storage or network drive?
Windows, Linux or OSX?
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Here are the details you asked for:
Windows 7 x64
I have the latest JAVA version
Local storage on two 2TB HDD
2900 items in my library
Movie Data Source Update.

I understand the "Locks" have made the update slower than it was in 2.5.5 where an update of the data sources would take about 30-60 seconds.
Using tMM 2.6.2 (r1661) I timed an update and it now takes almost 21 minutes.

For comparisons, an update of the TV Show Data Source (one 1.5 TB HDD, Local Storage, 160 TV Shows, 3287 Episodes) took 10 seconds.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you,
Scott
thanks for clarification. that is definitely too long Wink
please send us a bug report (be sure the log level is on DEBUG) after you did an update datasource. Maybe we get a hint what is causing the slowdown at your installation
btw: a rebuild of the internal database needs a scan of every file again. (and this takes ages - 10 min for my tv shows collection ~2k episodes on gigabit lan)
If you once have scanned all items, only new items will be scanned (one more update datasource takes 15 seconds here).

Did you rebuild you whole database?
Hello,

I'm running version 2.6.2 (r1661) and when updating my TV show folder, the process seems to get stuck at "Update data sources" in the bottom right, when I use the refresh button above the TV show list. There are only 26 shows in 1 Samba share with about 1000 episodes altogether. This used to take approx only a few minutes with older versions of tMM but it now gets stuck, even after going to bed and have a look at it the next morning 6h later.

The files are located on a WD My Book connected to a Synology Diskstation 212j NAS via USB, which itself is connected to the network via Gigabit LAN. The parent folder is shared via Samba.

At which section or keywords in the logs do I have to take a closer look on to see what's happening? I've read in other threads in this forum that you guys were talking about "miliseconds" which increased due to locks while scanning the shares and that 2.6.2 was actually fixing this issue.

So I assume it is something else with my setup...
hard to say..
I've had a similar issue when connecting to my NAS via gvfs (network neighbourhood in gnome/nautilus) - the smb connection stalled sometimes. If you are a Linux user, that could be the case Wink

please zip the logs and send it to us via http://www.tinymediamanager.org/index.php/contact-us/
I installed v2.6.3 and all seems to be back to normal speed.

Changelog's "tweak getting modified date from files (speedup)" probably did it. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tMM 2.6.1 Update Data Sources Slow0