• 9(current)
WIP Kodi 14.0 DXVA test thread
Please report those asap to AMD, they have a driver survey. Working arround AMD issue in driver X, might explicitely break AMD driver X+1 ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D26C60C805 <--- This survey? I'm asking cause it seems like a painfully simple survey so I'm wondering if you're referring to something more advanced.
It does not matter - I filed a lot of bugs with them 3 years ago ... and no matter what I did, nobody cared :-) So, yeah, use that one.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi all,

I have the same flickering issue with kodi 14.0 final when using HW acceleration. I have a Radeon HD 3200 chip. I'm using the latest available legacy driver version 13.9. Someone suggested to use 13.6, but I could not find anything about that driver. Just some beta releases from ATI. I did also some tests with older drivers, but the issue persists. So it looks like there is no way to solve that issue, because there are no current drivers available anymore.

When using software decoding all looks good of course. Also HW acceleration works without issues in gotham 13.2.

I also did notice that HW acceleration does NOT generate the flickering in kodi during the time when any overlays are being displayed (e.g. when pressing 'O' key or when the bar with PAUSE etc. keys is being displayed in the right upper corner).

Is there any chance to have this issue fixed in kodi itself as it was working ok in gotham? Why does the flickering go away when anything is overlayed?

Cheers,

am
That's ineresting. I remember some similar issue on Linux which was triggered by some gui changes. Gui is rendered with pixel shaders and those were not cleared up properly before dxva rendering . I will have a look, maybe we have the same here.
could you please try this build: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/win3...render.exe
Hi FernetMenta,

I did test the build that you have provided. Unfortunately there is no change.
Not sure if I undersatnd you right, so that is what is happening:

When the overlay is present during playback there's NO flickering at all.
When the overlay disabled or goes away then the flickering comes back. Maybe it would help to have one moving pixel always on as a oiverlay Wink
Basically everytime I press the 'O' key all is good and then when disabling the info by pressing 'O' again flickering is there and so on. The flickering is present from the beginning of playback of course.

Here are my Logs:

http://pastebin.com/JR5ZAqcc

Hope that this helps. I can do further testing, so just let me know.

Thanx,

am
The log does not help. It's almost impossible to isolate when you can't reproduce. I think it is related to some state variable in renderer which is set when gui is rendererd but left undefined for dxva rendering. The issue was also fixed in Catalyst 14.9. This and the fact that the issue does not show on Intel and NVidia systems makes me think, that our code is correct. Maybe we had some kind of work around by chance in earlier versions.
Just to make sure the issue is caused by dxva redenrer: Could you set forcedxvarenderer (advanced settings) to false and set render method to pixel shaders. Does this cure the issue?
Not sure if this has been reported yet. But I'm running an Intel DN2800Mt board with a GMA 3650 video chip. With Kodi, I'm getting screen flickering or flashing on video playback only. I've tried modifying a number of settings, and nothing seems to help. On Gotham, I've had to lock the render method to DXVA, and I've enable DXVA2 to have this hardware work correctly (which ran fine with no issues). Doesn't seem to alleviate the flickering on video playback with Kodi however. If more information is needed, let me know (fairly new here.) Thanks.
GMA3650 nearly has absolutely no driver support anymore. Others in the win forum with PowerVR chips told that it "magically" starts to work with Windows 10.
Hi FernetMenta,

thanx a lot for the option <forcedxvarenderer>false</forcedxvarenderer>.
It solved the flickering during playback. It works with the Auto setting, so there was no need to set it to Pixelshader. I have rendering set to auto, decoding method to HW and DXVA2 checked and no flickering anymore.
Now playback is perfect again. But the setting breaks the display of the overlays/menues during playback. So now when playing a movie and a menu is overlayd, the overlay itself is flickering (the movie in the background does not). But for me this is a minor bug which I can live with. At least now playback is working! Thanx a lot.

Just one more question, can you provide some more details what the <forcedxvarenderer>false</forcedxvarenderer> option exactly does? I did not find any details, just some inof that it's undocumented.

Thanx a lot again,

am
Hi,

Glad that this works for you. Pixel shaders is the preferred render method when doing sw decoding. Using pixel shaders with dxva2 decoding requires copying a video surface into another buffer which shouldn't be an issue per se. But in the past there were other issues in combining DXVA2 decoding with pixel shares which was the reason why they created this advanced setting. As default it forces DXVA rendering when dxva2 decoding is used. The developer who implemented this has long left and it has not been tested whether this setting is still required. Probably it should go away and dxva render method should be chosen if dxva2 decoding is active, but not forced.

The problem with DXVA is that it is a dying API. DXVA rendering even more than DXVA2 decoding. Intel and NVidia have implemented DXVA-HD for rendering but AMD has not. With Windows 8 Microsoft has introduced Media Foundation with a new API for video acceleration. So don't expect anything to improve for DXVA in the drivers. There may be exceptions but as a dying API it has no focus by the GPU manufactures.

The current APIs are DirectX 11 and Media Foundation.
@am2015
Mind testing whether this solves your issue?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1875369
a friend has the new amd kaveri a6 and sometimes he had a "strange" picture with xbmc 13 (dxva2), especially on sd-livetv. today he updated to helix 14 and the picture now is "perfect" without any issues. good work fernetmenta, fritsch and other people they are involved in development!!!!
@a11599: Sorry for the late response. I had the impression that no one would follow up on this and it was already partially fixed for me with the use of the pixel shader. Anyway many, many thanx for fixing the bug. I did test with your kodi.exe from the thread you have mentioned. The bug is completely fixed and the flashing is gone. I did deacitvate the previously suggested advanced setting and have activated auto render method as before. No flashing at all and also the overlays work perfectly again. Thanx a lot again. You're a genius!

Cheers,

am
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 14.0 DXVA test thread0