Any benefit in upgrading ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS
I got the announcement about available upgrade but I am actually not that keen on upgrading to 14.04
because I am quite sure that it will end in tears to begin with and it will most likely cost me days.

So is there any benefit 12.04 will be still supported quite a long time, but how is it going to be with
xbmc updates? I am only using my PC for xbmc
Dont solve nonexistent problems. If your current setup works, leave it. Kodi will be avail for as long as the os is supported by canonical.
(2014-09-21, 10:49)ironic_monkey Wrote: Dont solve nonexistent problems. If your current setup works, leave it. Kodi will be avail for as long as the os is supported by canonical.

agreed in general, but it depends on which hardware your have. E.g. AMD and Intel GFX have more features(e.g. hardware deinterlacing on intel) on trusty due to much newer drivers. Nvidia users won't see a difference.
(2014-09-21, 09:33)Juge Wrote: I got the announcement about available upgrade but I am actually not that keen on upgrading to 14.04
because I am quite sure that it will end in tears to begin with and it will most likely cost me days.

So is there any benefit 12.04 will be still supported quite a long time, but how is it going to be with
xbmc updates? I am only using my PC for xbmc

I'd been having those notifications as well, and weirdly, all sorts of problems with what had been a stable install shortly after these notifications started appearing. I don't use it for XBMC but I do have my SAB/CouchPotato/SickBeard set-up running, and it took a very long time getting that working to my liking (not really knowing Linux very well), so I was also loath to do the upgrade.

However, the problems I mentioned weren't going away, so I hit the upgrade button and crossed everything that could be crossed. It ran through the upgrade OK, got to the point of restarting the computer and after waiting 10 minutes with a blank screen I realised it had hung.

Uh oh...

Hard powered off. Started it back up again and to my suprise, it came back, 14.04 installed, SAB and so on started automatically as before, my NAS mount points still there, and two days later all looks good.

That's on an old 2008 Intel Mac Mini. Not saying it'll go as smoothly for you...but the old addage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' could well apply. Mine was broke/breaking so I took the plunge.
If you are only using the PC to run XBMC, then OpenELEC is a much better choice.

Upgrading is a 1 click operation and it should work on all hardware Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any benefit in upgrading ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS0