Solved Key "š" mapped to "launch_media_center"
Hello,

I use xbmc from ubuntu ppa (2:13.2~git20140817.2155-final-0trusty) and cannot type letter "š" in search boxes (add-ons, video, music, ...). Other usual suspects work fine (ěčřžýáíé).

The debug log reads:
Code:
21:19:38 T:2996070208   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x0c, sym: 0x00b9, unicode: 0x0161, modifier: 0x1000
21:19:38 T:2996070208   DEBUG: OnKey: launch_media_center (0xf0c3) pressed, action is

AFAICT,
  • the unicode 0x0161 in the first line is correct.
  • XBMC recognises the š character as a special multimedia key.
  • /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml assigns no action to launch_media_center.
My keyboard is Logitec K520. Needless to say that typing š outside XBMC works.

Any help? (Where to patch the code?)
as a quick fix, you can remap that key in ~/.xbmc/userdata/keyboard.xml http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap

next step is to track down if thats an issue with a particular locale/language setting or global. You might also want to test if it still happens in the last nightly build.
Modifying keyboard.xml was my first idea, nevertheless I have not found a suitable "action", which would trigger typing an Unicode character. Simple
Code:
<launch_media_center>š</launch_media_center>
did not do the trick either. (I use some other actions, these work fine.) Am I missing something here?

BTW, the behaviour is the same for "English" setting in System / Appearance / International. Linux locale is cs_CZ.UTF-8.

I will try to look in the code to better understand how xmbc handles the path from keyboard scan code to a character representation.

EDIT: xbmc 2:14.0~git20140924.0200-ba3e797-0trusty from ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly does not suffer the bug.
I do not have a clue why, but deleting the line:

Code:
, { XBMCK_LAUNCH_MEDIA_CENTER,    0,    0, XBMCVK_LAUNCH_MEDIA_CENTER, "launch_media_center" }

from xbmc/input/XBMC_keytable.cpp did the trick and "š" can be typed again.

The "LAUNCH_MEDIA_CENTER" is not referenced in any other related file (XBMC_keysym.h, ButtonTranslator.cpp, XBMC_vkeys.h), while other multimedia keys are.

Will there be another Gotham release? How about patching its git branch? If it still makes sense, I could provide a pull request on Github.
Just an update: this bug does not appear in KODI Helix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Key "š" mapped to "launch_media_center"0