Windows Media Center Cient - linux arm edition: Connection Lost
I have been trying to watch OTA through XBMC on my Raspberry Pi B+. I have an HDHomerun Plus (and antenna), and can view TV/Recordings through XBMC (via Windows 7, WMC, ServerWMC) on my Windows PC, but cannot get it to work with RaspBMC on the Pi. I get a Connection Lost error! (I previously attempted to get it all working with TVHeadend, but got a Connection Lost error there, as well.) Also, I can see my recorded files on the XBMC Pi, but when I try to play them, I only get audio (no video).

I noticed on the ServerWMC log that it says I am using an HDHomerun Prime. Since I can view on my PC, I don't think that is the issue (as it is recognizing both tuners correctly).

I am very new to all of this, but have tried everything I can find online to try -- to no avail. I appreciate any assistance you can provide, since I want to exit my cable company ASAP.

ServerWMC log - http://pastebin.com/xtCkb0h6
XBMC log - http://pastebin.com/ca0tf1fY
Hi, thanks for posting the required logs, it means we can get straight into fixing your issues Smile

Firstly when you mention only getting audio and no video it makes me think that you may not be aware that on the raspberry Pi you need to purchase the MPEG2 codec. It's a couple of dollars as I understand it...

Secondly, the ServerWMC log you posted only shows requests coming from client "Diane-PC" which appears to be your windows box that is running ServerWMC etc. So either you didnt attempt actions from the raspberry pi on the day the ServerWMC log is from, or your raspberry pi is not even making a connection to the ServerWMC backend...

The XBMC log on raspberry pi indicates it cannot connect.
Code:
14:08:01 T:2905289792   ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center Client - linux arm Edition: Socket::setHostname: (errno=110) (null)
14:08:01 T:2905289792   ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center Client - linux arm Edition: Socket::setHostname(Diane-PC) failed.
14:08:01 T:2905289792   ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center Client - linux arm Edition: Socket::GetVector> Server is down

You may not have name resolution working OK (eg rpi doesnt know who "Diane-PC" is). Try using the IP address of Diane-PC in the pvr.wmc configuration on XBMC

Im also confused how you can see the recording files if you arent even getting a PVR connection. When you said you can see the recorded files how were you accessing them? Perhaps this is through an XBMC Videos source, rather than through the LiveTV -> Recordings PVR section, since if you arent even making a PVR connection to the backend, you can't have retrieved the list of recordings
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-09-25, 02:55)scarecrow420 Wrote: Firstly when you mention only getting audio and no video it makes me think that you may not be aware that on the raspberry Pi you need to purchase the MPEG2 codec. It's a couple of dollars as I understand it...
You are correct. I was originally planning to go with TVHeadend because I understood that it would accept H.264 directly from the HDHomerun Plus. When I switched back to WMC, I forgot about the fact that it would require the MPEG2 codec. I may try TVH again, now that you found the solution to my problem...

(2014-09-25, 02:55)scarecrow420 Wrote: You may not have name resolution working OK (eg rpi doesnt know who "Diane-PC" is). Try using the IP address of Diane-PC in the pvr.wmc configuration on XBMC
Yup... That did the trick! Now it is recognizing the channels, even if it will only play audio.

(2014-09-25, 02:55)scarecrow420 Wrote: Im also confused how you can see the recording files if you arent even getting a PVR connection. When you said you can see the recorded files how were you accessing them?
Actually, I meant that I could see the recording file names. (Sorry for the confusion.)

Am I correct in my assumption that I should be able to play live tv without MPEG2 codec, as long as I use a backend that will save in the correct format (as the HDHR+ shouldn't need transcoding)? If so, is TVH a viable alternative, or do you have a different recommendation?

Thanks so much for your help!
Still not sure what you meant by seeing the recording names, if there was no backend connection you wouldn't get any data at all. Where in XBMC were you seeing these?

Regarding hdhr if yours is a model that supports the direct x264 then I believe wmc and ServerWMC will use that format in the wtv and ts files rather than mpeg2. My hdhr can't do that so I'm not sure how you enable it... Check the hdhr setup program etc?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
That's right, swmc will use h264 or mpeg2, it just repackages them to a ts file with no transcoding.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2014-09-25, 09:44)scarecrow420 Wrote: Still not sure what you meant by seeing the recording names, if there was no backend connection you wouldn't get any data at all. Where in XBMC were you seeing these?

Regarding hdhr if yours is a model that supports the direct x264 then I believe wmc and ServerWMC will use that format in the wtv and ts files rather than mpeg2. My hdhr can't do that so I'm not sure how you enable it... Check the hdhr setup program etc?
It may have displayed the recording names because I accessed through File manager, Add Source, Windows network (SMB), rather than Add network location. Just a guess!

(2014-09-25, 16:47)krustyreturns Wrote: That's right, swmc will use h264 or mpeg2, it just repackages them to a ts file with no transcoding.
I can't seem to get this to show a live or recorded video, only sound. Are you aware of what I need to do to view h264 in XBMC? Or, to send h264 through SWMC?

Thank you both for your help!
I assume you are still talking about the pi. I think if the stream you are sending to the pi is h264 you do not need to buy the codec, but I don't know for sure. Are you sure the tuner is now generating h264? You can look at the serverwmc log - after it starts a live stream - to see what it says the stream is.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2014-09-26, 00:56)krustyreturns Wrote: I assume you are still talking about the pi. I think if the stream you are sending to the pi is h264 you do not need to buy the codec, but I don't know for sure. Are you sure the tuner is now generating h264? You can look at the serverwmc log - after it starts a live stream - to see what it says the stream is.
Thanks so much... I finally got it working! For anyone else that has this setup, I needed to change the HDHomerun Plus transcoding to just reflect "Heavy". I now have video with the audio!

The problem I'm now seeing is a long time between channel changes (~10 seconds), and XBMC crashes when I rewind Live TV. But, I will work on those issues and add a new post, if I can't get it corrected.

Thanks so much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Media Center Cient - linux arm edition: Connection Lost1