SMB Bug when using PVR
I have discovered what may be a fairly significant SMB bug in XBMC 13.2, and I'm not really sure how or where to report it.

I'm using XBMC via OpenELEC, with the ServerWMC plugin on one box, so that I can watch files recorded on another box running Windows Media Center. The files are served from a desktop computer via SMB using Windows file sharing service to an Intel NUC that is running OpenELEC/XBMC at my TV. XBMC authenticates to the Windows share using the file the manager and telling it to remember the username/password. All paths are supplied using IP addresses and not SMB names.

The bug manifests itself when XBMC is used to play video files over SMB using the Live TV/PVR functionality. When a new recording is added by the PVR module while XBMC is up and running and the show is added by the PVR add-on along with an SMB link to the show, the new show will NOT play until you either update the library, you play an older program, or you reboot the machine. Once you do any of these, the newly added programs will play again, but any shows that are added thereafter while XBMC is running will still not play until you again update the library or play an older program.

If the new recording is added by the PVR module without an SMB link (and without any link), the bug manifests itself in a slightly different way. Newly added recordings that are added while XBMC is running will not play until you do a library update or you navigate to Video -> Movies. Once you do either of these, the newly recorded shows will play, and subsequently added new programs will also play, at least until you do a reboot. Given that the problem goes away when you merely navigate to Videos -> Movies, I'm fairly confident that the bug is an XBMC bug, and not a PVR Plug-in Bug and not a WMC bug. And I suspect that its an authentication bug.

I've reviewed XBMC's debug logfiles for when the condition occurs and the only relevant information that I can find is that XBMC has an error opening the file. After I take the corrective action (library update or playing an older file), the newly recorded shows play just fine.

I've also replicated this issue on 6 different machines running XBMC via OpenELEC, and using two different Windows Media Center boxes as well, so I've been able to observe the problem consistently

Is anyone aware of this issue, or a similar issue, and can anyone point me in the right direction to report it?? It occurs to me that this might just be the tip of a problem that is plaguing various systems, and I'd like to contribute what I can to resolving the problem or contributing to the knowledge base with respect to the issue.
I welcome comments and suggestions for the Kodi (XBMC) Set-up Guide that I wrote.
You can read it here:  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193310

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Bug when using PVR0