Solved Looking for a box to run XBMC
I picked XBMC up maybe a month ago, and have fallen completely in love with it. This program consumes a good portion of my days with the tweaking and such, and I finally have it about where I want it. However, that being said, I am completely lost when it comes to HTPC. I hadn't even heard the term before this past month, and now all I've been able to think about is a home theater set up.

My question is, (or request?) is there a box, that I can put XBMC onto (Kodi when it comes fully out), that can hook into my TV and, in a word, stream XBMC to the TV? I realize there are devices out there, the amazon box, raspberry pi, etc, however, I would like to be 100% positive what I'm getting will do what I need, and it seems very difficult to figure these things out unless you have been into the scene a while.

I have an external hard drive with all of my movies onto it. It is a 3TB drive, and is usb powered. I need a box that can support USB external drives, because that is where all of my information is stored.
My TV is nothing special, it is a 32 IN non-smart TV. It has the slot for HDMI, and so I assume that's where I would plug the box into.

Maybe I'm making this all more complicated than it is, I just didn't want to purchase something online, have it ship here, open it up and find out that I cannot use it on my peasent-like set up. I apologize in advance if this seems really ridiculous, and on a final note, thank you for your help!

Edit Edit- I would like to just be able to buy something, open the box, and pretty much be good to go. I already have XBMC installed on my laptop, and a portable version on the external hard drive. Amazon has a few devices with XBMC preinstalled, but I am not sure if they will read all of my files. I do not know all of the techinical jargan that goes with an 'htpc' as this would be my first attmempt. I can answer hopefully all questions. Thanks again!

EDIT- More information;
The TV is 720, however, we are buying a 60 inch 1080 next month (Black Friday).
The ones I've looked at so far, and cannot tell heads from tails about:
G-Box Midnight MX2 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Dual Core XBMC Streaming Mini HTPC TV Box Player -Amazon.com
EzMediaXperience MX3 Android 4.4 Quad Core 2G/8G fully loaded XBMC 4k TV Box - Amazon.com

TL;DR kind of version-
Need a (HT?)PC that can run XBMC, nothing else (No amazonplus, no netflix, but obviously I won't comaplin if it comes with) and that will allow me to plug a 3TB external hard drive into it to read the movies.
$50-ish - Raspberry Pi

$80-ish - Amazon Fire TV

$100-ish - this minix unit: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO...33264.html

$150-ish - 2820 NUC or Chromebox or Brix
(2014-10-04, 07:49)Ned Scott Wrote: $50-ish - Raspberry Pi

$80-ish - Amazon Fire TV

$100-ish - this minix unit: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO...33264.html

Thanks mate. I'm assuming here that the "you get what you pay for" aspect works here?

The Minix unit would deff work for me though? The thing that sort of scares me is the phrase: •Support H.265/HEVC hardware decoding
I don't understand what all that means unfortunately. I have no idea if that pertains to me or what, but I do appreciate your help so far!
(2014-10-04, 23:28)ItchyProphet Wrote:
(2014-10-04, 07:49)Ned Scott Wrote: $50-ish - Raspberry Pi

$80-ish - Amazon Fire TV

Thanks mate. I'm assuming here that the "you get what you pay for" aspect works here?

The Minix unit would deff work for me though? The thing that sort of scares me is the phrase: •Support H.265/HEVC hardware decoding
I don't understand what all that means unfortunately. I have no idea if that pertains to me or what, but I do appreciate your help so far!

My advice is get the chrome box or nuc. Android is unsatisfactory and pi is good but may piss you off.

You don't need hevc decoding now. You may in 2-3 years, you'll have had your moneys worth out of the nuc/CB by then.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So looking at the Chromebox, http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M00...ql_qh_dp_t ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U Desktop
. Would play all of my movies, will run XBMC obviously, but will it also run the addon cinema experience? And will I be able to put Kodi on this model when it's released, or will that be an issue? I again, appreciate all the help!
I can't see why it wouldn't run cinema experience. Yes Helix will work on it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you to all, really looking forward to the next experience!
If you get the chromebox, you'll need this thread

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362
Is this minix upgradeable when Kodi comes out?
The Minix has their own version of xbmc which has more features for their own hardware eg refresh rate switching....but you can also install any other version of xbmc/kodi instead/ as well
thanks to this thread i get almost all answers i wanted to. I go for chromebox M004U and i hope ItchyProphet you are satisfied with it Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a box to run XBMC1