Octa-core HTPC/mini-PC
Hello,

I wonder if there is an Octa-core HTPC/MiniPC box in the market?

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Way overkill for a HTPC any recent Intel or AMD lowend CPU/APU will run XBMC and 1080p content perfectly fine. aka Intel Celeron or AMD A1 systems. for a good intel celeron based system there is always a Chromebox running the 2955u Celeron from the likes of HP and ASUS
I hate Celerons with a passion. I'd never be caught dead buying one of those. Even if it was for a low end HTPC. I've just seen how they roll in a low end laptop. Not multi-tasking friendly. But a HTPC may dig it if used only for HT.
According to AMD marketing, the A10-7850K has 12 cores so there you go...
(2014-10-06, 03:53)Skram0 Wrote: I hate Celerons with a passion. I'd never be caught dead buying one of those. Even if it was for a low end HTPC. I've just seen how they roll in a low end laptop. Not multi-tasking friendly. But a HTPC may dig it if used only for HT.
Uh, thanks for the advice. Rolleyes

There are so many different Celeron flavors you can't possibly make a broad reaching statement like that.
(2014-10-07, 00:49)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-10-06, 03:53)Skram0 Wrote: I hate Celerons with a passion. I'd never be caught dead buying one of those. Even if it was for a low end HTPC. I've just seen how they roll in a low end laptop. Not multi-tasking friendly. But a HTPC may dig it if used only for HT.
Uh, thanks for the advice. Rolleyes

There are so many different Celeron flavors you can't possibly make a broad reaching statement like that.

Exactly, because Celeron, Pentium, etc. are just marketing/brand names. It could mean Celeron J1900, Celeron 29xxU or Celeron G18xx all of which are very different CPUs and architectures.

And even back a few years ago the E3300 was a great processor for LGA775.
If you want to have a HTPC that idles faster than most... go right ahead.

After my recent Chromebox purchase, I think you would be crazy to buy/build much different. Amazing bang for buck.

Good luck keeping those cores cool in a small case, with low noise.

I suspect this belief goes back to the dark ages where Celerons were absolutely trash processors that were found in only the cheapest of the cheap. They have come a long way since then and Celerons and Pentiums are actually pretty good for most tasks, including HTPC duties. You're not going to build a gaming PC with one, but for most other tasks it will be sufficient.
(2014-10-05, 02:05)dmxclass Wrote: Hello,

I wonder if there is an Octa-core HTPC/MiniPC box in the market?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

ZERO Devices Z8C Alice is said will be the first octa core TV box with Allwinner A80 CPU.
Thanks.

http://www.tronsmart.com/products/androi...-meta.html

I was hoping that Zero devices will release their box first but Tronsmart Draco AW80 (Meta) Octa-core TV Box was released a week ago.

Alice probably will be similar unless Zero devices comes up with something not on Draco.

I wish Draco had HDMI 2.0.
Even when using all 8 cores on an ARM/Android box, that's not necessarily faster than many dual core desktop CPUs. Number of cores isn't an indication of speed.
Tronsmart is well known in some forums for selling unfinished products... they even launched some models under "beta tester edition" what is highly irresponsible (not everybody will know that is just a "test" edition, and also asking users do your work for you is not very professional).

If they find a hardware problem maybe coming firmwares will not be compatible with the updated motherboard. It's not advisable purchasing very first products like this if you want avoid problems.

You can think why good brands like MINIX, ZERO Devices, ROKU and so on. just present their new products but they are not the first ones selling them. Nod

(2014-11-08, 02:22)dmxclass Wrote: I wish Draco had HDMI 2.0.

Allwinner A80 does not support 4K-60Hz: http://www.allwinnertech.com/en/clq/processora/A80.html

So HDMI is 1.4 (4K-30Hz)

There are 4K-60Hz alternatives like: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...Stick-size

Or big boxes based on Rockchip RK3288
(2014-10-07, 00:02)Dougie Fresh Wrote: According to AMD marketing, the A10-7850K has 12 cores so there you go...

I rekon twelve cores are the way to go, you always have 11 spare If one goes pop! RoflRofl

Who cares about what the GPU can do anyway, its not like a HTPC playin XBMC needs a good one anyways.. RoflRoflRofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Octa-core HTPC/mini-PC0