Accessing xbmc library remotely
I have recently put xbmc on my android phone. I want to access my library from my home network through my phone. What do I need to setup to do this?
Broadly, you need a network connection back to your library - usually via a VPN (Android natively support a few forms of VPN - e.g. OpenVPN, PPTP) that would set up a secure link between your handset and your home network. You want a secure connection because otherwise you're publishing your entire library onto the public interwebs, and that's probably not a good idea; I guess you could just switch off all security and wing it, though...

As part of that, you either need a static IP address (so you know where your house logically is on the internet) or you need to register with a dynamic DNS service (so you can connect to your house by name and the DDNS service can convert it to your current IP address).

Once your VPN connection - probably via your router - is established, your 'phone behaves just like it would if it were on your LAN at home. The limiting factor then is your uplink speed at your house and your downlink speed on your 'phone: if you're on gigabit fibre at home and LTE or Wifi with a good wired connection on your handset, everything will be fine; if you're on 512Mb/s ADSL at home and GPRS on your handset, you're doomed. That's when you get into transcoding, which is a whole different topic...
I was looking into getting a synology nas. I read that the nas has vpn. Could I use the vpn built in the nas?
Yes, so long as you can get past your router - you may have to forward the VPN port, but IIRC Synology has some decent tools to reconfigure most common routers to permit internet access (e.g. for Cloud Station).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing xbmc library remotely0