Playback Problem
Hi folks, having a problem with playback was hoping for advice/help on the matter.

Ok so I have an android box it is a rockchip ARM Cortex A9. Quad core and 2gig of ram. Running Android 4.2.2 and the board is rk31sdk. It's running XBMC 13.2 Git:20140817-0f3db05 at the moment, this problem also started to happen with 13.1 that's why I updated. I have it connected via ethernet to a 3TB NAS drive.

Long story short, when playing content that is 1080p some video files will play perfectly and some will lag within the first few seconds. I thought it strange that it could be two different video files from the same distributor (Think a four letter username) now I know it will be thought that it could be a coded/transcode issue but would that account for video files that worked previously, lagging now?

I think I read somewhere when I had a pi that if you have a large index of movies with a media scraper showing art, synopsis etc that it can affect playback. To check if this was a problem here I wiped the box and fresh installed XBMC but it is still happening.

Is there anything I can do here?

Thanks
Bump

Anyone any advice?
Ah lads, surely someone can help!
debug log (wiki)?
(2014-10-24, 00:13)Ned Scott Wrote: debug log (wiki)?

Hi Ned, thanks for the reply. I didn't think of posting the log as no error messages etc were showing.

Anyway here is the log, I left it playing one of the files for about a minute, if you need anything else done please let me know

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=326158
I see warnings about still frames (= I frames ??), so my guess is that MediaCodec can't detect a proper framerate. However, it assumes 23.976 Hz, which
is the default frame rate for Blurays, so the audio should be in sync. Normally these YIFY files play fine.

Just wondering, did you try to disable MediaCodec in settings and just enable libstagefright ?
HTPC: MS-Tech MC-1200 | Asus F2A85-M | AMD A10-6700 | OCZ Agility3 120GB | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3| LiteOn iHOS104 BDR | Win10 x64 | Kodi 15.2
Home AV: Philips 42PFL5038 | Sony BDPS6500 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Sony PS4 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Sonos audio | Apple TV Gen 4 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | 5.1 speakers (TMA, Klipsch)
(2014-10-24, 11:31)loekf Wrote: I see warnings about still frames (= I frames ??), so my guess is that MediaCodec can't detect a proper framerate. However, it assumes 23.976 Hz, which
is the default frame rate for Blurays, so the audio should be in sync. Normally these YIFY files play fine.

Just wondering, did you try to disable MediaCodec in settings and just enable libstagefright ?

Just tried it and played a few minutes from three different files that had this problem, seems to have worked a treat! Big thank you for that I can enjoy all my files now!

Just wondering though, does disabling MediaCodec have any negative effects on file playback or add on streaming etc?
Libstagefright and MediaCodec are basically two paths to the same place. There is some difference with certain types of videos, but in most cases it is doing the same thing. Libstagefright was developed first and supports some older versions of Android and handles a couple of situations better, so it is still kept around. Eventually MediaCodec will replace it completely, as MediaCodec is the standard way to do hardware video playback in Android. So for now you can just use whatever works better :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback Problem1