Req Removable Drives
I have multiple drives that my media spans across. What would be very cool is if somewhere it was possible to include the source name that the files came from. Here's my reasoning.

I have a drive bay that I would like to swap hard drives out with depending on what I want to watch. Instead of having a monstorous tower with all of my drives in it, I could have a fancy box that contains all of my drives. I look at my XBMC list of media, go to the file I want, look next to it and it says it is in the drive I have labeled "Charmander" (I name my drives after Pokemon, haha). I realize my issue could be solved with a server storing all of my media, but I would prefer not to take that route.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Any third party utilities I could use in tandem with XBMC to get this to work? I only want one drive plugged in at a time, and that is the drive that I'm watching something from. Aside from keeping an external catalog, looking through THAT catalog to figure out where my files is. At that point, I may as well keep the external catalog and play the files using VLC.
Someone did work on such a feature in the past for video stubs (offline placeholders for DVDs and such), so that it would work with files and prompt for the correct drive name, but I'm not sure what the status on that work is.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48895
This is perfect, guys. Thank you!
Hrm...actually, this only seems to work for disc drives, huh? Optical drives, and then the play button becomes available if something is inserted into the drive?
Yes that link is to a feature SUGGESTION discussion thread. The link is not to a description of an existing feature that is already implemented.

I was just trying to point out that what you asked for have been asked for before, but no one have coded and implemented it yet.

There is also a separate feature suggestion discussion thread for offline optical discs which you found out is already implemented

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=24443

That is, those are two totally separate features, and only the one for optical discs one is implemented so far.
The PR is https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/551

You wont be able to cleanly compile that ontop of master because the conflicts need resolving.

None is working on it anymore and that idea seems abandoned to some enterprising individual able to rebase that patch ontop of master and resubmit that PR. Though it will never be for Helix v14 as that is now on feature freeze. Heck imo it will never get anywhere.
Actually if i can recall well the refactor is easy. The only merge conflict is that the language strings waven used are now used with something else. The code is still the same with no conflicts
I couldn't do it, as no C++ skills so anyone else then?
(2014-10-09, 07:27)uNiversal Wrote: I couldn't do it, as no C++ skills so anyone else then?

I checked again and there is actually no merge conflict. I forked xbmc, included the commit without problems. So IMO is pointless to push a new pull request identical to the existing one.
If someone wants to try it here's a windows build based on current master:
https://www.mediafire.com/?n3nb48h2u9k1836
I tried it andit works well.
if you did it via github and got the patch over current V14 master then I would strongly advise you to submit the PR again.
Ok I'm going to ask to waven if it's ok for him. It's his work afterall..
waven IIRC MIA hence that PR is abandoned, Ive tried contacting him myself dozen times.

in any case its opensource, you do what you want thought, If I had the skills would be done already.

It will not merge against v14 code without conflicts though, Ive tried it already and main reason why I haven't re-submited it myself
Hey, I'm sitting in a room with about 25 Team Kodi members right now and we were actually talking about things like offline files and removable drives. I'll have the video to upload later on, but basically the media sync/import stuff could be used for removable drives. While actual implementation of this might be far in the future, it sounds like the best bet for this coming to Kodi.
(2014-10-10, 16:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Hey, I'm sitting in a room with about 25 Team Kodi members right now and we were actually talking about things like offline files and removable drives. I'll have the video to upload later on, but basically the media sync/import stuff could be used for removable drives. While actual implementation of this might be far in the future, it sounds like the best bet for this coming to Kodi.
I'm really curious to see the video. It might be the final solution. It's also too late for this patch in helix and it needs some work. It all depends when this new stuff is coming. I*? J*?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Removable Drives0