Allow Empty Folders with content to not be removed from library during DB clean
I have several TV show folders that are valid folders:

d:\tv\some show\season 01\show.avi

When I scan XBMC finds it and adds it to the library. I setup all my fan art, etc. Then if I watch the show and delete the episode and a DB clean is performed, then poof, the show is removed from the XBMC library and all custom fan art etc has to be rescraped again with a new scan. This never was like this before and just started with Gotham.
I'm interested in this feature. Basically empty TV Series should be scanned when scanning for new content or updating the library, and not removed on cleaning. Only if a folder exists of course.

Use Cases:
New upcoming TV Series will always be empty folders, but still have metadata that's useful to see in the library such as schedule, actors, fanart, so on.
Watching a show from your PC and deleting it to free space would not cause all of the show's metadata to be removed unless you deleted the folder signifying you'd like it removed.

I'm fairly sure there would be no disadvantage to anyone expecting empty series to be cleaned since anyone wishing this would naturally delete the folder of a show they don't want anyway.

It's worth noting anyone who does NOT wish to see empty series while keeping the folder would still be able to have that behavior via the already implemented hideemptyshows advanced setting.
In addition, there is already an advancedsetting feature these people can use if they want the episodes hidden:

<hideemptyseries>true</hideemptyseries>

So there is no reason to have this as the default behavior.
More to the point:

The actual wanted behaviour, put in place because many people requested it - is that empty folders are removed from the library when it is cleaned.
However, this behaviour is currently implemented inconsistently because these folders *are* added to the library when it is updated.

It would make more sense to not scan empty folders to the database, and not remove them if they are there. - unless a scraper option was set.
Fritsch suggested something like 'scan and keep empty folders'.

It would make <hideemptyseries> useless and provide a more consistent user experience.
And a minor point: In fact we want to get rid of the advancedsettings.xml setting completely. If this "Option" helps users, we can add it. If other users are confused, we can move it to the "Advanced / Expert" Settings Category.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
AFAIK I workaround for the problem is to manually set content on the tvshows folder (in the files view) and then it shouldn't be removed during a library clean. But agreed that it is very inconsistent.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
That explains why my test folder was not removed.
I had set content directly on it earlier (changed the language).
(2014-10-09, 08:34)Montellese Wrote: AFAIK I workaround for the problem is to manually set content on the tvshows folder (in the files view) and then it shouldn't be removed during a library clean. But agreed that it is very inconsistent.
My content is set statically in the files view (as far as I can tell) and it's removed during a db clean. But I'm on Gotham, so, unless this was a change in the new one...
(2014-10-10, 00:57)af32af Wrote:
(2014-10-09, 08:34)Montellese Wrote: AFAIK I workaround for the problem is to manually set content on the tvshows folder (in the files view) and then it shouldn't be removed during a library clean. But agreed that it is very inconsistent.
My content is set statically in the files view (as far as I can tell) and it's removed during a db clean. But I'm on Gotham, so, unless this was a change in the new one...

It's not enough to have content set on the parent directory containing all the tvshow directories. You have to set content on every tvshow directory.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Just gonna put this here for reference: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15475
(2014-10-08, 23:34)Kib Wrote: It would make more sense to not scan empty folders to the database, and not remove them if they are there. - unless a scraper option was set.
Fritsch suggested something like 'scan and keep empty folders'.
To me it would make more sense to scan empty folders, but not remove them on a library clean. I don't think a specific setting is needed.
Then I'd promote hideemptyseries to a GUI setting.

Edit: what about this... https://github.com/anaconda/xbmc/compare...ries-15475 (completely untested)
Okay, tried to implement what has been proposed here: https://github.com/anaconda/xbmc/compare...5475_2?w=1 (untested)

I'm done with the "easy" part. I'm now struggling with VideoInfoScanner.cpp to actually avoid adding empty series if the settings is off, but all I got as of now are headaches.
Either I'm too stupid for the VideoInfoScanner, or the thing is a huge mess, or the .cpp is encrypted and I can't decode it... I can't really follow what it does to add a new TV show. :|

So, I'll leave that branch accessible for someone else to implement the logic in VideoInfoScanner as it seems I can't really proceed any further.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allow Empty Folders with content to not be removed from library during DB clean0