Linux Install XBMC on CLI
Hey folks,

After a search of days to find a good media player I am currently looking into XBMC/Kodi. I want it to run on my multi-purpous server, which runs on a command line interface only version of Debian.
For I only wish to use the server to stream my series over the internet to a pc elsewhere and to a media player in my own LAN, I have no need for the GUI. In fact becouse of my CLI I cannot install a GUI. Will this provide me with any problems?

Thanks in advance for the help!
you don't want a media player, but a streaming server.
Thanks for your answer, sounds reasonable not to get a media player but a streaming server. On a quick, but also on a more extencive search of streaming server I can't seem to find what you suggest. The becouse they mostly do not have a web UI and are just streaming by copying a link in VLC or something. While I would like to just watch my series on demand. I did find some options costing lots of money though, one even mentioned over $1000.
Could you reccomend me some of those streaming server(s) you mention?
Plex may be what you are looking for.
Plex indeed is a very good option. So thanks for suggesting it. I have used it in the past as I should have mentioned. There are however two main issues I have with plex that make me look for alternatives (XBMC inclueded) First of all without payment it is impossible to add limited acces to some files. I want to be able to restrict some maps for the younger children using it. And the other main issue is that it is impossible to browse files. If the naming of your files is not according to the plex standards it is often not found or I have had entire series shown up as 1 other movie only being able to play the first episode. If my search will lead to nothing I will have to use plex. I prefer not to though.
So any other suggestions on this part? (don't know if it's appropriate to ask on the XBMC forum though)

Also another route is to still look into XBMC install without local GUI. So is this possible (even though overkill) to use it on my server for the streaming over internet and to media players in my own network?

Once again, thanks for any help.
Well you may be able to install xbmc with this - https://github.com/Jalle19/xbmc-video-server

It may be worth scanning through this too -
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132919
I use subsonic as my music streaming server.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Try mediabrowder3.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install XBMC on CLI0