Subtitles in Kodi - the right way
Lightbulb 
The following is my personal view on how subtitles should be handled in Kodi from an end-user's perspective.

Subtitles has nothing to do with audio (not talking about sync here, remember the perspective..) and should not be under audio settings in the OSD.
Imaging explaining a novice Kodi user that in order to change his built-in subtitles he or she cannot go via the subtitles OSD, but has to go to audio settings Huh
My suggestion is to put subtitle related settings in one menu, start by picking all subtitle related elements from the OSD audio settings and put it in the OSD subtitle menu. In the subtitle menu there are two additional buttons "download" + "change offset". Download opens up what we have now under the OSD subtitle menu and shows your subtitle plugins and "change offset" opens up the change offset view.

Another improvement: after setting the offset users want to continue watching their movie in 99% of the cases, therefore on clicking 'OK' to confirm the new offset, close the menu automatically.
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
I have no idea what you talking about, subtitles can be Downloaded (this opens the subs services so you can select it and download a file) then, enabled, changed/cycle through all available , disabled and even call the subtitles sync - via OSD in the subtitles pop up.

Oh god. That's great! I didn't know it was already done like this in Confluence (been a while since I switched to the default skin).
I hope other skins like MQ's will do it the same way.
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
Yes, I use default skin only for various reasons and this is one thing I wouldnt be able to live without.

It was implemented by Jonathan Marshal into code/skin a long time now (2 years) and has been improved since then.
Sorry for kicking this, but I would love to see some extra options added to the subtitle OSD menu such as:
  • Interactively change the font/size/vertical position (so you see the result directly on-screen). It's very annoying to have to use two different system menu's to change these options. Especially having to go to the Video Calibration menu to set the vertical position (in which case the subtitles even disappear from the screen) is a pain.
  • Add the "Browse for subtitle" option that is currently still in the Audio Settings OSD menu.
(2015-04-11, 10:43)MrMagic Wrote: Sorry for kicking this, but I would love to see some extra options added to the subtitle OSD menu such as:
  • Interactively change the font/size/vertical position (so you see the result directly on-screen). It's very annoying to have to use two different system menu's to change these options. Especially having to go to the Video Calibration menu to set the vertical position (in which case the subtitles even disappear from the screen) is a pain.
  • Add the "Browse for subtitle" option that is currently still in the Audio Settings OSD menu.

I also vote for placing the "Browse for subtitle" in the Subtitle OSD Menu, instead of in the Audio Settings. It is much more coherent and easy to find.

Thanks for considering it.
The browse, is mostly useless imo, since next will cycle trough all subs available and if sub exists (where your set it up) it will show up.

Let say you download subs via Kodi, it will download to path where you set it up in subtitle settings (a one of set-up in Subtitles#Additional_settings (wiki) Subtitle storage location
) then browse option is totally useless.

Now ok, say you downloading subs to a different path where you have it setup in Subtitles#Additional_settings (wiki) at Subtitle storage location

You would have to have some pretty good reason to not download it to same path where you set it up, and lets be honest, I never used the browse for subtitles once in the last 3 years, in fact if ootion would be gone, I personally wouldn’t miss it though I can see the rare use for it.

Same would go for calibration/font size colors (this is a one time setup in my opinion) if you need to constantly be changing positions and font colors sizes, you ding something wrong.

I think the idea of this quick access meu is for most practical and most used settings, not to be cluttered with settings you use once and forget.

However it would be nice that the audio/subtitles portion would have the permanent settings from Subtitles#Additional_settings (wiki) and one off's all under same place)
Sometimes downloaded media has subs in an obscurely named directory, browse is important for that situation.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles in Kodi - the right way0