Some h264 streams start green in Helix
I'm testing Helix alpha 4 on Win7 with pvr.tvh backend and I've noticed that some tv channels start with a green image for the first few frames. I don't see this on Gotham but I'm not sure if it's a regression or some configuration change I've (accidentally) made. The recording at the link below can be used to reproduce my problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rr66ptquuju5z...t.mkv?dl=0

Any suggestions on how to avoid the green start would be much appreciated. Some feedback on whether or not the problem is seen by others would also be helpful.
If someone is running Helix on Win7, could you please test the clip at the link in the original post to check if you see the same green start that I do?
FYI, that clip (apart from a bit of blockiness) plays fine on Helix Alpha5 under Ubuntu 14.04 with nVidia graphics.

Might help you narrow down where the issue is (O/S, gfx card helix version etc).
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Likely xvda windows issue.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-10-16, 21:27)black_eagle Wrote: FYI, that clip (apart from a bit of blockiness) plays fine on Helix Alpha5 under Ubuntu 14.04 with nVidia graphics.

Might help you narrow down where the issue is (O/S, gfx card helix version etc).

Thank you. Every data point is useful.
Ok I played that file in Helix, compiled on today master in Linux with nvidia GPU

Plays just perfectly no glitches or issues or color dysfunction on start or otherwise.
(2014-10-16, 21:30)Martijn Wrote: Likely xvda windows issue.

Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question but is xvda=dxva2? I just tried unchecking "System->Video->Acceleration->Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2)" and the green start problem disappeared.

For me, allowing DXVA2 only seems to cause this problem in Helix and not in Gotham (just checked). Does anyone know of anything that has changed in Helix that might cause this?
ffmpeg has been massively upgraded form 1.2 to 2.4.2 for one so likely there's something at play there.
Does this only happen with live streams? If you record something then play it back do you get the same problem?
(2014-10-17, 19:24)uNiversal Wrote: ffmpeg has been massively upgraded form 1.2 to 2.4.2 for one so likely there's something at play there.

Thanks. Sounds like that could be worth looking into.

(2014-10-17, 20:48)jjd-uk Wrote: Does this only happen with live streams? If you record something then play it back do you get the same problem?

Same problem when I play it back. There's a link to a recorded clip in the original post.
If when you disabled dxva it worked ok you know its not ffmpeg but liekly the hw decoder.
I've been looking some more at this today and, as far as I can tell, ffmpeg code is responsible for calling the hw decoder. I added some debug prints and I think I've noticed one difference between Gotham and Helix: the call to IDirectXVideoDecoder_Execute fails for the first 5 calls when called from ff_dxva2_common_end_frame in Helix ffmpeg code but never fails when called in Gotham.

This should mean that either a different decoder function is called or the input as passed by ffmpeg code is different somehow. This is where I'm stuck at the moment. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

(In both Gotham and Helix the IDirectXVideoDecoder_Execute call is executed 408 times in total, the same as the nr of blocks in the clip as reported by mkvinfo.)
why not posting a Debug Log?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-18, 19:42)fritsch Wrote: why not posting a Debug Log?

Sure. http://pastebin.com/10P1BWrh
I still haven't been able to figure this out and I think it's a regression bug so I created a ticket:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15498

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some h264 streams start green in Helix0