• 15(current)
Google Nexus Player
(2014-11-19, 20:50)hermit Wrote: I've experienced the crash with both SD and HD but mostly been testing 720p streams and up.
I have not tested nightlies, do you have a certain one you recommend so I can test?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, with software encoding enabled, the crash will only happen MAYBE once or twice a night, sometimes not at all. however with the same behaviors using my nexus 5. I don't get those errors.

as far as the heat issues, I doubt it, as its in the open and has plenty of air flow, but I will try monitoring its temperature when it stops vs when i'm just using youtube.

also my kids have used this to watch barbie on youtube for a full 3 hours before as nexus player seems to continue to the next video. haven't had any issues on the default youtube app yet.
I'm running kodi-20141115-35527b7-master-x86.apk right now, with the advanced settings file below. I was going to update to a newer release.

My viewing is mostly 720p H.264, but they're very low bitrate streams. 4Mb/s or less. And since i"m using stagefright, the CPU usage is probably far less. I'm sure youtube is using h/w accelerated video too.

Drew

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>
    <smallstepbackseconds>4</smallstepbackseconds>
    <timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
    <timeseekbackward>-5</timeseekbackward>
    <timeseekforwardbig>120</timeseekforwardbig>
    <timeseekbackwardbig>-90</timeseekbackwardbig>
    <percentseekforward>2</percentseekforward>
    <percentseekbackward>-2</percentseekbackward>
    <percentseekforwardbig>10</percentseekforwardbig>
    <percentseekbackwardbig>-10</percentseekbackwardbig>
  </video>
  <network>
    <cachemembuffersize>52428800/</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file

(2014-11-19, 21:21)drewg Wrote:
(2014-11-19, 20:50)hermit Wrote: I've experienced the crash with both SD and HD but mostly been testing 720p streams and up.
I have not tested nightlies, do you have a certain one you recommend so I can test?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, with software encoding enabled, the crash will only happen MAYBE once or twice a night, sometimes not at all. however with the same behaviors using my nexus 5. I don't get those errors.

as far as the heat issues, I doubt it, as its in the open and has plenty of air flow, but I will try monitoring its temperature when it stops vs when i'm just using youtube.

also my kids have used this to watch barbie on youtube for a full 3 hours before as nexus player seems to continue to the next video. haven't had any issues on the default youtube app yet.
I'm running kodi-20141115-35527b7-master-x86.apk right now, with the advanced settings file below. I was going to update to a newer release.

My viewing is mostly 720p H.264, but they're very low bitrate streams. 4Mb/s or less. And since i"m using stagefright, the CPU usage is probably far less. I'm sure youtube is using h/w accelerated video too.

Drew

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
  </video>
  <network>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Thank you Drew,

I will try this when I get home tonight

(2014-11-19, 21:30)wrxtasy Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file

I will look into this as well and report back

Drew

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
  </video>
  <network>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Drew, I tested your advancedsettings.xml today and your encoding settings, I only got to test 1 hour with a 1080 file but so far so good! I will have to check more, however the kids took over today, and we had to watch youtube.

Thank you,

will report after testing further.
(2014-11-18, 06:07)engadgetdude Wrote: Just got my NP, and registered on the forum just to post the following:

Easiest way to set up xbmc (Without using ADB install). There might be some overlap with previous posts, but I just wanted to post complete instructions.
1. Log in to your google play account
2. Enable developer options (by clicking version number several times...)
3. Allow unknown sources in Security settings
4. Enable Debugging in Developer options (might not be necessary, but I did it just in case)
5. From a computer browser (or even mobile browsers, although my Ipad chrome did not work), go to google play store, search ES file explorer, click on install, and select your Nexus Player to install.
6. Open ES file explorer (does not show up on homescreen, so go to settings-->apps-->ES file explorer-->open
7. Choose remote manager on the left side, turn it on, and enter the ftp address in your computer file browser. You should be able to browse files on your NP remotely.
8. Download the XBMC/Kodi android x86 apk on your computer (I used the V14 beta 3 version), put it into one of the folders of your NP (ex. Downloads folder)
9. Go to ES file explorer on your NP, browse to that folder, and click on the apk, the installation process is exactly the same as on other android devices.
10. Set up Kodi to your liking and enjoy!

Tips and Observations:
- Playback has been smooth so far!
- It\s advisable to connect the XBMC remote app from another mobile device before trying to go any further. The Android TV remote control app's keyboard input only works with specific entry fields, and doesn't work with XBMC. The XBMC remote control app also gives you the ability to "right click"
- Someone on the XDA developer forum mentioned that XBMC closes or blacks out after minutes of video streaming. I also encountered this problem, but it seems to have been solved by setting the cache to 0 using advancedsettings.xml (please search "xbmc cache full" if you are unaware of how to set it up)....Just as I was about to post this, the 1080 stream that has been playing for ~40 minutes crashed.... it's still an improvement over the 5-6 minutes crash before the change
- I tried add-ons whose names shall not be spoken on this forum, and so far so good.
- I'm waiting for a root for the NP, which would allow the use of Droidmote Server, the best remote control app from my experience with a generic android box, and well worth the few dollars it sells for.
- My cheap chinese made ipad bluetooth keyboard works great with it. Pairing was a breeze (the same could not be said with my generic M8 box...)

Hope this has helped somebody looking for information on the NP, like I was for the past two weeks.

Thanks for this helpful post. Just received my NP a couple of days ago and have it set up. Haven't tried any of my previous add-ons yet. Will definitely try your suggestions.
Late to the party as usual, but here are my impressions.
I should say that I'm coming from a place where this is a 'secondary' HTPC, so I'm not as concerned as much with high-end features.
  • Pleased with the performance of the box overall.
  • XBMC...er...Kodi crashes randomly from time to time (14b3) (installed via ES Explorer and a SMB Share)
  • h264 1080p full-bitrate content ripped directly from Blurays seem to play fine. I''ve watched 10-15 minutes over wifi and haven't had any issues. (router is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900)
  • VC1 stutters, audio is fine. I hope this suggests that it's a software decoding problem versus a hardware limitation.
  • Haven't tried bistreaming DTS-MA or TrueHD since I don't have a receiver on the secondary TV that supports it.
  • Limelight (streaming games from an nVidia based PC) works not too badly, I get about 150ms latency which is OK for non-competative games, but probably for a crazy fast shooter it would be a pain in the butt.
    • I had to downgrade Geforce Experience from 2.1.4 to 2.1.3 as 2.1.4 was unplayable.
  • I have a micro-USB --> USB --> USB hub where I have a couple Logitech dongles in there.
    • One dongle for a wireless keyboard/mouse
    • One dongle for a Logitech F710 wireless controller.
    • Both work great
  • N64 emulators seem to work pretty well, but I haven't gone too much into it. SM64 was playable.
  • Kids like searching youtube with their voice. This could be a problem.

All in all, minus the VC1 stuttering, and (possibly) random Kodi crashing, this is the closest to a HTPC replacement I've ever had. For a 'first' device, I'm fairly pleased.
Got a nexus player today.

Installed the 14 beta of kodi and everything went without a hitch besides 1 issue..

I have a windows home server 2011 and it's streams to all my devices dlna/unpnp...

Kodi on my laptop can play any file I throw at it from whs. My ps4 has to have all the mkv converted to mp4 using mkv2vob... So all of my mkv files have been converted to mp4 using mkv2vob.

All these files I have converted will not play on the nexus player. It will play other mp4, avi etc.. just not ones I have converted with mkv2vob. Any suggestions before I go through and reconvert these files to something else?
xbmc kodi beta 3 sd runs fine but hd stutters anybody know why please help
(2014-11-23, 08:30)enchanter100 Wrote: Got a nexus player today.

Installed the 14 beta of kodi and everything went without a hitch besides 1 issue..

I have a windows home server 2011 and it's streams to all my devices dlna/unpnp...

Kodi on my laptop can play any file I throw at it from whs. My ps4 has to have all the mkv converted to mp4 using mkv2vob... So all of my mkv files have been converted to mp4 using mkv2vob.

All these files I have converted will not play on the nexus player. It will play other mp4, avi etc.. just not ones I have converted with mkv2vob. Any suggestions before I go through and reconvert these files to something else?

Two suggestions, a debug log (wiki) trying to play one of the files and mediainfo for the same file.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
did a big test over the weekend only had the crash happen once so its a huge improvement, drew's advance setting cache trick works to stop the cache crash too as i paused a movie for at least 30 minutes and when i came back it was still there.

so far so good.
(2014-11-18, 06:07)engadgetdude Wrote: Just got my NP, and registered on the forum just to post the following:

Easiest way to set up xbmc (Without using ADB install). There might be some overlap with previous posts, but I just wanted to post complete instructions.
4. Enable Debugging in Developer options (might not be necessary, but I did it just in case)
5. From a computer browser (or even mobile browsers, although my Ipad chrome did not work), go to google play store, search ES file explorer, click on install, and select your Nexus Player to install.
6. Open ES file explorer (does not show up on homescreen, so go to settings-->apps-->ES file explorer-->open
7. Choose remote manager on the left side, turn it on, and enter the ftp address in your computer file browser. You should be able to browse files on your NP remotely.
8. Download the XBMC/Kodi android x86 apk on your computer (I used the V14 beta 3 version), put it into one of the folders of your NP (ex. Downloads folder)
9. Go to ES file explorer on your NP, browse to that folder, and click on the apk, the installation process is exactly the same as on other android devices.

Tips and Observations:
- It\s advisable to connect the XBMC remote app from another mobile device before trying to go any further. The Android TV remote control app's keyboard input only works with specific entry fields, and doesn't work with XBMC. The XBMC remote control app also gives you the ability to "right click"
- Someone on the XDA developer forum mentioned that XBMC closes or blacks out after minutes of video streaming. I also encountered this problem, but it seems to have been solved by setting the cache to 0 using advancedsettings.xml (please search "xbmc cache full" if you are unaware of how to set it up)....Just as I was about to post this, the 1080 stream that has been playing for ~40 minutes crashed.... it's still an improvement over the 5-6 minutes crash before the change
- I tried add-ons whose names shall not be spoken on this forum, and so far so good.
- I'm waiting for a root for the NP, which would allow the use of Droidmote Server, the best remote control app from my experience with a generic android box, and well worth the few dollars it sells for.
- My cheap chinese made ipad bluetooth keyboard works great with it. Pairing was a breeze (the same could not be said with my generic M8 box...)

Hope this has helped somebody looking for information on the NP, like I was for the past two weeks.

Hi,
"enter the ftp address in your computer file browser"
Where do you get the ftp address from?
What keyboard and mouse are you using?
Thanks
(2014-11-25, 03:44)figaro Wrote:

Tips and Observations:

Hi,
"enter the ftp address in your computer file browser"
Where do you get the ftp address from?
What keyboard and mouse are you using?
Thanks

Install ES file explorer, select remote manager from the side bar, and press "turn on", then you'll see it

Drew

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
  </video>
  <network>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

I also used your advanced settings as my use case is similar to yours and buffering has been reduced greatly, thanks for sharing.
Here are logs for two crashes on beta3

Crash during video playback
http://pastebin.com/cPTXXz03

Crash with playback paused
http://pastebin.com/eD031DpX
We are at beta5. Many things have changed so I suggest you install a nightly build
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7