• 27(current)
Google Nexus Player
(2015-01-09, 15:53)robontheweb Wrote:
(2015-01-08, 11:55)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: The two port USB hub (not powered) I ordered turned up, Ethernet now running as well as IR receiver. Playback is far worse via ethernet. I have restarted everything a couple of times for a fresh start, and it keeps buffering on all but the smallest files. Switched back to WiFi (N 5Ghz) and it streams fine. Very bizarre.

I had a similar issue with ethernet. Did a speedtest and noticed i was only getting speeds around 5mbps -> 7mbps. This caused issues with files larger then 5gb. I did buy another usb to ethernet plug and getting speeds around 80mbps (which is the max of my internet connection, so on lan probably a bit faster). I suggest you try a speedtest Smile

Robontheweb I had this exact same issue. Can you tell me what usb to ethernet plug you bought the second time that is giving you steady speeds?!

Thank you!
(2015-01-09, 15:53)robontheweb Wrote: I had a similar issue with ethernet. Did a speedtest and noticed i was only getting speeds around 5mbps -> 7mbps. This caused issues with files larger then 5gb. I did buy another usb to ethernet plug and getting speeds around 80mbps (which is the max of my internet connection, so on lan probably a bit faster). I suggest you try a speedtest Smile

How do I do a speed test with the Nexus, or are you saying use something else to test?

It is an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter. I used it plugged into the NP with a Belkin OTG cable s well, to rule out the hub as an offender, same issue.

At this stage I am regretting getting the NP. My fault for wanting it to do things it doesn't do natively (Ethernet, IR Receiver, 24P). I haven;t gotten to the stage of explaining it to the wife as it just has too many little issues, and my WD TV player although a million times slower, plays back files with such stupid ease. There are things I don;t like about it, but it is a better media player than the NP.

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in audio output compared to other players? I have a DTS-HD, etc.... capable receiver, and I am having to raise the volume by about 4db-5db to match what I get from all other devices (WD TV, PS3, PS4, PVR) playing the same content.
(2015-01-09, 23:05)Jamesont22 Wrote:
(2015-01-09, 15:53)robontheweb Wrote:
(2015-01-08, 11:55)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: The two port USB hub (not powered) I ordered turned up, Ethernet now running as well as IR receiver. Playback is far worse via ethernet. I have restarted everything a couple of times for a fresh start, and it keeps buffering on all but the smallest files. Switched back to WiFi (N 5Ghz) and it streams fine. Very bizarre.

I had a similar issue with ethernet. Did a speedtest and noticed i was only getting speeds around 5mbps -> 7mbps. This caused issues with files larger then 5gb. I did buy another usb to ethernet plug and getting speeds around 80mbps (which is the max of my internet connection, so on lan probably a bit faster). I suggest you try a speedtest Smile

Robontheweb I had this exact same issue. Can you tell me what usb to ethernet plug you bought the second time that is giving you steady speeds?!

Thank you!

I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VSTDFG/re...31_TE_dp_1

(2015-01-10, 10:35)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2015-01-09, 15:53)robontheweb Wrote: I had a similar issue with ethernet. Did a speedtest and noticed i was only getting speeds around 5mbps -> 7mbps. This caused issues with files larger then 5gb. I did buy another usb to ethernet plug and getting speeds around 80mbps (which is the max of my internet connection, so on lan probably a bit faster). I suggest you try a speedtest Smile

How do I do a speed test with the Nexus, or are you saying use something else to test?

It is an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter. I used it plugged into the NP with a Belkin OTG cable s well, to rule out the hub as an offender, same issue.

At this stage I am regretting getting the NP. My fault for wanting it to do things it doesn't do natively (Ethernet, IR Receiver, 24P). I haven;t gotten to the stage of explaining it to the wife as it just has too many little issues, and my WD TV player although a million times slower, plays back files with such stupid ease. There are things I don;t like about it, but it is a better media player than the NP.

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in audio output compared to other players? I have a DTS-HD, etc.... capable receiver, and I am having to raise the volume by about 4db-5db to match what I get from all other devices (WD TV, PS3, PS4, PVR) playing the same content.

I sideloaded the speedtest.net app. You can also download the drivers for the hub on your pc and test it via your pc.
(2015-01-10, 10:46)robontheweb Wrote: I sideloaded the speedtest.net app. You can also download the drivers for the hub on your pc and test it via your pc.

I put it on the NP, and ran speedtest, same type of result to you. 6.5Mbps was the max result. I put the USB to Ethernet adapter straight into my macbook, ran the same test and got my normal max of 16Mbps. This leads me to think the OTG cable is the issue. I do have the Belkin OTG cable too, but it is a single USB adapter only, so I can't have the mouse and the Ethernet adapter in at he same time, therefore no way to start the Speedtest app. I downloaded a few Mouse apps onto an android phone, but I couldn't find one that would work as a mouse with the NP.
Is anyone aware of a mouse app that will work with the NP. I paired my BT Apple track pad to the NP, but it doesn't do anything.
(2015-01-11, 00:44)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2015-01-10, 10:46)robontheweb Wrote: I sideloaded the speedtest.net app. You can also download the drivers for the hub on your pc and test it via your pc.

I put it on the NP, and ran speedtest, same type of result to you. 6.5Mbps was the max result. I put the USB to Ethernet adapter straight into my macbook, ran the same test and got my normal max of 16Mbps. This leads me to think the OTG cable is the issue.

Drivers seems like a more likely culprit in my opinion. Have you had this issue with more than one USB to Ethernet adapter? Do you know of other people that have tried the same one on the NP without any issues? If the answer to both of those questions is no then I think replacing the OTG cable is probably barking up the wrong tree.
Photo 
The first USB to Ethernet adapter I got, worked as a USB hub, but not ethernet. I suspect that was a driver issue as it would not work with my macbook either.
First one looked like this -http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzAwWDcwMA==/z/-5YAAOxyOalTZ0Ub/$_12.JPG
Second is apples one, and I have heard nothing about it from others.

I guess you're right, a driver issue, so the only way to be sure is to buy one that someone else has already purchased and confirms works fully.
(2015-01-11, 06:29)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: The first USB to Ethernet adapter I got, worked as a USB hub, but not ethernet. I suspect that was a driver issue as it would not work with my macbook either.
First one looked like this -http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzAwWDcwMA==/z/-5YAAOxyOalTZ0Ub/$_12.JPG
Second is apples one, and I have heard nothing about it from others.

I guess you're right, a driver issue, so the only way to be sure is to buy one that someone else has already purchased and confirms works fully.
Here is what I use on both of my NPs. No issues. The description even says it's NP compatible.

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88178 Chipset) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VSTDFG/ref...Sub0ECMJMH
(2015-01-07, 18:02)trvbone Wrote: Is there anyway to get the es file explorer to fit the screen correctly?

It's fit the screen perfectly on my TV. Makes me think your TV is over scanning the input you have the NP on. Check if there is a "PC" mode or similar on your TV.
I got it thanks!
(2015-01-10, 10:35)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: How do I do a speed test with the Nexus, or are you saying use something else to test?
Maybe try out the AnTuTu Benchmark apps or AnTuTu X Benchmarks app too if it is possible to install

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ABenchMark

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...flashlight
I have installed the 14.1 x86 build dated Jan 6th on this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213108

I have used another posters advancedsettings with a couple of my modifications (i added the buffermode and changed the cachemembuffersize to 0). Before adding the advancedsettings file I was having buffering issues, after installing things seem to be running smoothly. I stream most of my content. My question is I am new to the advanced settings and wanted to confirm if others can confirm if there are better settings than what I have below.

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>
<smallstepbackseconds>4</smallstepbackseconds>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-5</timeseekbackward>
<timeseekforwardbig>120</timeseekforwardbig>
<timeseekbackwardbig>-90</timeseekbackwardbig>
<percentseekforward>2</percentseekforward>
<percentseekbackward>-2</percentseekbackward>
<percentseekforwardbig>10</percentseekforwardbig>
<percentseekbackwardbig>-10</percentseekbackwardbig>
</video>
<network>
<buffermode>0</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>
(2015-01-21, 16:51)Wilberry Wrote: I am new to the advanced settings

you arent new to the forums - you should probably take a look at the Banned add-ons (wiki) and Forum rules (wiki)
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-01-21, 18:30)bry- Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 16:51)Wilberry Wrote: I am new to the advanced settings

you arent new to the forums - you should probably take a look at the Banned add-ons (wiki) and Forum rules (wiki)

Thanks for the link, I have revised my post
Are you all running 14.1 for arm still or the x86 version? Or some other version?
14.1 x86
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7