• 32(current)
Google Nexus Player
Probably network dependent. I personnally never ever touched the cache settings, on wired, on any device.
I'm just using 2x2 ac and an ac68u router. I agree, probably unnecessary if it was wired
(2015-02-26, 17:47)essential Wrote: Tried to search the forum but "OTG" is too short of a phrase to search.

Anyway, I'm running a FireTV and 2 FireTV sticks at home. Looking for a device for my parents which will run Kodi with Netflix, HBO Go, etc. They have WiFi (so scraping will work) but not a computer/NAS to serve files so FireTV and FireTV sticks are out ... need USB hard drive support.

I'm holding out hope for the Forge TV but right now the Nexus Player seems like the best bet.

Two questions:
1) I've read the Nexus Player supports USB OTG, but does anyone use it as your Kodi file location base? Ideally, I'd like to go to their house, plug in a thumb drive with movies/shows, go in to Kodi, scan for content changes and clean database, and just have "Movies" and "TV Shows" showing the new things from the thumb drive. Is this possible? Can I plug in a USB OTG in the Nexus Player and have it seen by Kodi sources, and not change (drive letter, path ... something like that). I can teach them to plug in a thumb drive and scan for changes, but anything beyond that will be a lost cause.

2) Just from reading the last few pages it seems the ARM version of Kodi runs better so why not run SPMC instead? People sideload Kodi x86 and ARM on the Nexus Player, and I've done it with the FireTV (ARM), but since the Nexus Player is straight Android TV with the Play Store, can't you just install SPMC from the play store and be up and running quickly without any issues?

I have the NP connected to a usb hub with mouse, external drive, and usb stick. I know that part works, I can access the external hd with media, music, and USB stick if need be. Not sure on cleaning the database and such.

I run the x86 version and it works fine, which I sideloaded. The playstore is a limited version and many apps need to be sideload and will not appear in the main launcher. Here is link to what apps are in the playstore and ones that can be sideloaded. I ended up installing a custom rom called lollirock, which provides a full android 5 ui, as I tired with using the remote and the interface. I prefer a mouse with full playstore and ui.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-pl...r-t2947707
Just purchased my third Nexus Player in as many weeks. I have turfed out my HTPC's. Saved myself a fortune on power consumption.
I have a question why is it hard for the nexus player to play hd content through kodi over wifi but if you play sd is fine
(2015-03-15, 06:06)mystic84 Wrote: I have a question why is it hard for the nexus player to play hd content through kodi over wifi but if you play sd is fine

Probably your bandwidth, i am running wifi AC on the Nexus Player and usually have no issues with HD. The other variable is the source, if you are streaming from an external source, it could be the source not providing enough bandwidth. In this case you could pause the content and let the buffer fill up so you watch it without buffering stops.
Hey guys, first time on here. I am looking at getting an NP an sideloading KODI on it, but I have a couple questions. I keep my movies on my Synology Diskstation and stream them to my PS3 through media center functionality on my NAS. One of the main reasons for upgrading is that some of my movies I have ripped from BD sources have Cinavia, with are unplayable on the PS3. Eventually would probably be upgrading to using the NP for the three TVs in the house if it works.

Anyway,Here are my questions:
1) Some of my movies have a higher bit rate (above 40Mbs peaks) and it seems that many devices like Apple TV, Roku, etc can't handle this files without stuttering. Is the NP able to play these files as long as the network can provide the bandwidth? Right now I am using a wireless bridge, and would use a USB Gigabit adapter to wire the NP to the bridge, but will be upgrading to powerline when the new AV1200 adapters hit the market from Netgear.

2) I would want to connect the NP to my AV Receiver, will the NP passthrough AC3 through HDMI? I thought I read that it would somewhere.

3) What version of KODI would best meet my needs to stream from my NAS?

4) Any other suggestions or ideas for a setup that would work for my needs?

Thanks in advance for you input!
Hello guys..

I have installed Kodi 14.2 on my Google's Nexus player which is connected to my Philips TV using HDMI.. However I noticed that the software volume control within kodi is not affecting the volume at all.. Only the volume amplification is working when I change it, but the normal volume control has no effect whatsoever, although passthrough is disabled. I always have to control the volume from the TV itself. Is it a bug? or is there some setting to change this behavior?

Thanks!
hi I have a question when I press movie information in the any movie or tv show episode it is not showing in the nexus player I have all the required scripts but it still dose not show
I have had to roll back to 14.1. Since the final release of 14.2 I have had constant freeze ups during playback. I thought it was my connection. 5GHz N, with a USB 3 to Ethernet as backup, but that does have lower throughput.
My WiFi gets dropped by the NP constantly, it is the only device in the house to do this, so it is not my network, it is the NP. I have seen many other posts with this issue. I tried switching to 2.4GHz as was suggested in these other forums. Playback was still crap. I reset the NP 3 times, every time Kodi would have crap playback, I switched to the ARM version, same issue. After this final reset I installed 14.1 X86 and it was back to normal, playing everything fine. Very odd as I was fine on the 14.2 final beta.
Beware that ES File Explorer will no longer install on the NP. Annoying work around here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...ostcount=7
Interesting, because a recent update to ES on my NP now has leanback intent and shows up in the launcher. I'm on 5 though, is there any compelling reason to update to 5.1?
I emailed them and the said they will fix it with next update.
I can't see a OTG connected flash drive or hard drive in Kodi. I can see it in ES file explorer and start the movies from there. What can I do to see it in Kodi directly?
(2015-04-25, 15:54)reneber Wrote: I can't see a OTG connected flash drive or hard drive in Kodi. I can see it in ES file explorer and start the movies from there. What can I do to see it in Kodi directly?
Stickmount or Total Commander with USB mount add-on.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7