• 33(current)
Google Nexus Player
I just read Google has broken the compatibility with manually sideloaded apps in the 5.1 update. Is this true?

Also, what's the current status with surround audio on this since the latest update, is it still an issue?
Didn't hear that, but I'm not updated either

I did hear that there are a few apps that used to allow the Nexus player as an installation target in the play store from a desktop web browser that now say the Nexus is not supported in 5.1

Heard nothing about adb though. Where did you hear that about sideloaded apps?
Question 
Hi guys,

im am currently using a Orbsmart S82 with S802 chipset and i am quite happy with it.
Still it is time to try something new so i orderd a Nexus Player to play around with.

Know i have a question that i hope someone can help me with...
My S82 has 2gb of Ram and i set the Buffer Mode to Ram with about 300 MB wich requires about 900 MB of Free Ram.
Since the NP only has 1gb with probably not much free... what are the best buffer settings to Stream from NAS over my network?
Also wich Version of Kodi should i install? Huh

Edit: Nevermind... changed my Mind and going for a Asus Chromebox
(2015-04-26, 11:33)Rod Pocket Wrote: I just read Google has broken the compatibility with manually sideloaded apps in the 5.1 update. Is this true?

Also, what's the current status with surround audio on this since the latest update, is it still an issue?

I have no issue with sideloaded apps in 5.1.1.
Passthrough is still case-by-case, meaning some work and some don't and it probably depends on the file.
(2015-04-28, 17:42)Ambious Wrote: ...I have no issue with sideloaded apps in 5.1.1.
Passthrough is still case-by-case, meaning some work and some don't and it probably depends on the file.

Me too.
And KODI works fine in Asus Nexus Player with Android 5.1.1.
Hi, I'm in the UK and have just bought one of these today. However ever way I try and install KODI, I just can't do it. Has anyone in the UK successfully managed to install KODI on the Google Nexus Player yet??

Someone please help?

Thanks in advance.
You need to side load it or simply sideload Chrome .apk and then download from browser www.kodi.tv x86 apk of Kodi.

However there is great tutorial/instructions at Kodi wiki pages:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Google_Nexus_Playe...ing_Kodi_2
(2015-05-03, 19:57)droidelec Wrote: You need to side load it or simply sideload Chrome .apk and then download from browser www.kodi.tv x86 apk of Kodi.

Tried buddy, however when I try and push the es file explorer from my google account to my nexus its greyed out and won't let me.
issue is that you cant inatall classic android apps from Google Play Stire to Android TV devices.

So inly way is to sideload them. Use USB to micro USB cable and connect NP with PC/Mac, note thst for Linux or Mac you dont need to install drivers but for windows you need.

Also You will need adb and fastboot.

Enable debugging on NP and when in cmd/terminal you execute command adb devices on NP it will prompt you with question to allow or not device to connect to NP, of course allow it.

Try this, dunno if something changed with new 5.1.1 sw.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-pl...r-t2945468
Here is the current quickest method to install Kodi without any hardware such as USB required.
This is after the Dev mode and USB debugging as per http://kodi.wiki/view/Google_Nexus_Playe...ing_Kodi_2

1. Set Air Share to download to the NP from the Play Store on a computer
2. Download Kodi (x86 version) to your computer while this is happening
3. Open Air Share on the NP.
4. Select PC/Mac Sharing
5. Generate a URL for multiple uses and Save it. You will need to give the give the URL a name, I simply gave it a blank one by hitting the centre button twice.
6. On your computer with Kodi downloaded, go to the URL generated by AiR Share, and upload the Kodi file. Air Share will pop up on the NP and ask you what to do. Obviously shoes the install option, and may as well select the option to always do this.

Kodi is now installed, enjoy.

This is a lot faster than the ES File Explorer route.
The best way to load kodi and the apps needed is through team viewer. Teamviewer can be loaded from the google play store on the nexus itself and search teamviewer on your desktop or PC and download it. Since your Nexus and PC are using same network your devices will pick each other up. Follow the steps to connect. I got my apks from appsapk.com, use this site to download es file explorer to your desktop. Using team viewer you can transfer it to your Nexus. Itll show the file transfer on the nexus screen and once the file is completed, click it to download. This goes for every other file you transfer over. On the team viewer thats running on the desktop make sure the files are dragged over to the download folder of the Nexus. The chainfire side load launcher step is still before this as well as enabling developer options, also debugging, and allowing unknown files.
Kodi stopped working on my NP about a week and a half ago. So tonight, I uninstalled Kodi from my NP and tried push kodi-14.2-Helix-x86.apk via ADB. The NP rejected the apk (something like: INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK).
I downloaded again wondering if my computer has somehow corrupted the file, but received the same result.

Curious now, I moved on to the dev builds and kodi-15.0-Isengard_beta1-x86.apk installed just fine.

I'm not sure what new features and support are coming with Kodi 15, or why 14.2 installation failed, but thought I'd share my info with others.

tl;dr: if 14.2 won't install, and you are willing to take some instability try 15.
I had the same issue with 14.1 x86 not installing when I was trying to roll it back. I managed to get 14.1 x86 to install after a ful NP reset.
Later I did another full NP reset, and have installed 14.2 x86 fine again.
I'm running 15. 0 Isengard beta 1 x86 as well few problems at first but I adjusted the advanced settings and it worked after that and works very well now
If you are having issues with the x86 file, try using the ARM apk for KODI. I know it being an intel x86 setup it shouldnt work but I ve used the ARM of KODI and it works great on the NP.
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7