• 41(current)
Google Nexus Player
Hi guys.

I am not so new to KODI, but just got the Nexus Player about a week ago.

KODI on it (I have the version direct from the google play store), itself runs great, certainly faster interface wise than my year old openelec/Intel NUC setup I built for around $175.

That being said, in KODI, I see a lot of what I imagine are codec decompression issues, where the picture will get weird errors on screen, sometimes for a flash frame, sometimes for a few seconds. Not sure if this would be referred to as compression "artifacting", but it looks similar to digital cable channel feeds that providers do not provide a lot of bandwidth to. This is happens with 720p .mkv files, and a lot more with 1080p .mkv files. Sometimes it seems to hit files that maybe have a lot of fast action, and it tends to happen more frequently. I have also found that DTS audio 1080p files will totally either freeze after a while. 720p DTS .mkvs seem to behave much better other than the codec artifacting.

I just ordered a micro USB OTG to Ethernet adapter "plugable" brand, hoping it fixes my issues. Any idea if what I am describing above are LAN wifi issues?

For the money, this is an ok device for me so far, considering it is for a bedroom tv eventually. I have an older router, not AC router either. My openElec intel NUC device is hard wired ethernet on the device, going into a power line ethernet AV500 adapter. I get occasionally "buffering" messages on my Intel NUC setup, but not that often, and never any codec "artifacting" like I see on the Nexus Player.

I also ordered a wireless keyboard, as the remote won't let me access the context screen to see if it is dropping frames, etc.

Thanks for any info. 1st time post here. Big Grin
I've had my Nexus Player for over a month. Using Wfi on AC 5ghz band. I have not seen any of these "artifacts" so far on my setup, including a lot of 720p and 1080p Mkv's (with high compression though - largest file is 5 GB for 90 minutes).

I've had problems recently with one set of files all encoded the same way so it seems this may be the particular encode that must be wrong. Anything respecting well-known approved "standards" for encoding works perfectly for me.
Thanks for your response dodvu2... I wound up getting my micro USB > ethernet adapter and I now have zero issues with the same media files that were giving me compression artifacting. I had one 1080p file that was very high bit rate that played fine now too.

I do have to say, for my uses, really just KODI, this nexus player is great.
what ethernet adapter do you recomened?
Just thought I'd add something to the thread.

I have just updated to the official Marshmallow image (OTA update still not found on the unit yet - had to manually download from the Google servers athttps://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=en)

It fixes some of the issues that are previously noted with Kodi on Nexus Player including:
- mpeg 2 hardware support (audio and sometimes video on live tv wouldn't play on the 5.1.1 version - now no problems)
- VC1 hardware support (previously VC1 bluray rips would stutter+++ - now play flawlessly)
- auto refresh rate switching - 24hz (sadly not 23.976), 25, 50, 60 is supported

- wifi range seems to be a lot better (although I still use a USB to ethernet adapter)
- less crashes / lost network (hasn't seemed to happen since the update)
- on the whole, it seems a lot better

For an all round box that plays Netflix in 1080 with 5.1 sound, Hulu, Kodi and NBA it seems to be quite OK. Still does not support HD audio or 3d MVC, but for the lounge room it is our box of choice at the moment.
Wow. This made the platform seem a lot more interesting. Does the non-Kodi portion have working framerate switching (on, say, Netflix) as well? I'm thinking of 24p and 25p/50i specifically.
(2015-10-06, 10:21)mystic84 Wrote: what ethernet adapter do you recomened?

I've been very pleased with this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJU0...ge_o00_s00
(2015-10-07, 09:32)theslime Wrote: Wow. This made the platform seem a lot more interesting. Does the non-Kodi portion have working framerate switching (on, say, Netflix) as well? I'm thinking of 24p and 25p/50i specifically.
At least with Zattoo (European live TV app) it doesn't switch. Still need TVHZ for that. I think only Kodi does auto switching so far.
Is there a Frame Rate Automation Kernel for the Nexus Player available to get true 24p, meaning 23.976? My TV supports 24p but I still get the ~40 second stutter even with "Adjusted Refresh Rate" since the "Sync" option doesn't work, even on Android M.
(2015-10-06, 10:21)mystic84 Wrote: what ethernet adapter do you recomened?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTV1...detailpage
100/1000^^ Vs 10/100vv

http://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-USB2E100B...160%2C160_
Forgive me for asking this question without reading the full 41 page thread, I tried to search but the minimum search term is 4 characters and "USB OTG" kept erroring.

Anyway, I'd like to grab one of these as an extra Kodi device (also have a Shield and 2 Fire TVs) since they are $40 now. I'm curious if Kodi would work if the file source was a USB drive plugged in with a OTG cable. I've read that USB OTG cables work with the Nexus Player (androidcentral.com/about-nexus-player-and-usb-support) but I can't find any specific mention of Kodi.

I basically want to have an USB drive plugged in with a OTG cable feeding Kodi. Has anyone tried this? Does a USB drive plugged in with a OTG cable show up in the Kodi file sources selection?
It works, you probably will need to use "stickmount" from chainfire to mount the drive automatically. My issue with usb drives was trying to keep the same mount point when the drive re-connects, it gets old having to re-enter the drive location when it changes all the time. Tried various solutions to force it to the same mount point (messing with fstab and uuid mounting) with little success, my media was already on my nas what I wanted was kodi not to eat the internal storage, ie. my "thumbnail" dir is over 1gb and growing so I used the advancedsettings.xml file so it now writes to a network drive..

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>nfs://192.168.1.55/volume1/video/kodi/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
Hasn't this improved with Marshmallow?
The Nexus Player is on clearance at Target for $24.98.
Good luck!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7