Req Sane Defaults
Yeah, I imaged a tab-like view for exposing the advanced options in this situation.
The screenshots topsfs showed are good but one has to think about the multilingual labels when they get long winded and start to scroll, then suddenly sexy becomes a dead horse. But Im sure it can be tastefully done.
@scraper selection. Well, we by default have two (nfo + default online), so hiding if only one is installed doesn't make much sense, although I'd really like to get rid of the scraper selection. I'd hide it behind a button "metadata provider" or alike and show a popup (addon selection popup we already have). Hiding the recursive stuff + scrapers in a second tab "advanced configuration" would also work for me, although if it could be avoided by intelligent detection of file structure, then I'd preferr that over an advanced tab.

edit: was just think about linking default scrapers per media type or exclusively via media types. this would require though that custom/new media types could be specified (anime, home videos, ...)
Must say that the "Movies are in a seperate folder which matches the movie title" has always baffled me a bit, I think this option should be switched around. But perhaps its just me thats very caring with my media.
I guess we could go through the gsoc data collection to find some stats on this though Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Combining the "Add Source" and "Set Content" dialogs seems like a good idea to me in theory. In practice it is really hard to do though, at least without changing the current system.

At the moment you are allowed to add multiple folders to a single named source. This obviously requires a list and buttons to add and remove elements. So even if we stripped it down to the bare minimum needed, we would be left with:
  • A list of folders / network shares / etc
  • At least two buttons to manipulate that list
  • A spin control to set the content type
  • OK, cancel and (advanced) settings buttons
While a total of five buttons and two other controls seems tolerable this pattern would introduce new problems, i.e. one set of buttons affects a specific control while another set affects the whole dialog. I don't think this would make for a very pleasant user experience.

I also do not see how tabs could improve things. They don't save you any navigation steps compared to multiple windows and they don't give you additional information.
Yes, core changes are required to be able to simplify it in a sane way. Tabs declutter the UI IMO while still being userfriendly. Also, multiple paths per source might be history in future, depending on how we decide in regards to multipath handling.
Multipath sources are a great thing, its not something I use but thats because I only have movies in one location (per server).

@toolpunk that is if we don't' rethink the flow at all. Currently the flow is "I want to add a Y source, which have X content". (Y being video and X either movie, tv show or music video). And this flow doesn't' even follow in pictures, games, programs or music

It think there are two other flows which may make more sense
A) I want to add a server/computer and in X,Y,Z is the content
B) I want to add X content, here is were they are

Which of these that makes most sense for the vast majority of people I am not sure. But both, atleast IMO, is better than the flow we currently have (which feels a bit backwards).
And both, might provide with a simpler UI.

With A for example would lend itself to that you first select a computer on the network (or your own), you get the possibility to name it and then you browse it to find paths, were you select content on all paths (or perhaps even more ideally, select what to scan from said server and let it autodetect).
This popup would probably be a browse/enter URL and a input for name. Then a + to add paths, and something to pick content for each path.

With B you would click and select that you want to add movies (probably in settings were all contents we support are choosable) and then you need only to have our current add source dialog with multipaths.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
B sounds pretty great! Smile And it would be even more awesome if you could add content right from the library views. E.g. you are browsing your movies and want to add some more. You navigate to a '+' button or something like that which then immediately takes you to the add source dialog (as the system already knows you're going to add movies).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sane Defaults1