• 57(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
(2015-04-07, 16:06)cmdr.adama Wrote: It seams that the Box fits your needs because you don't require HD-Audio Passtheough and you never play 25Hz/29.97Hz interlaced video and you don't need 3D. Imagine you want to sell this Box on Ebay. How would you describe it?

HD Audio might work if your AVR is compatible
3D might work if your AVR is compatible
The Box blocks HDMI CEC function of all other devices
25Hz/29.97Hz especially interlaced movies are played like strobo light effect which means an impressive stuttering
BD menu playback is far away of that what a BD player does

You could buy an used old Tizzbird F20 for less than half of the price. WelI it desn't support 3D. But it can do HD audio passthrough without compatibility restrictios, plays 25Hz/29.97Hz movies without any stuttering. This is a single core machine with Android 2.6!

I don't think Joe and Mary Everydayuser really care too much about this kind of stuff. Typically they just want something that generally works. The things a lot of guys in this thread are getting at are the intimate details of all file types and such. Usually that kind of person will have someone set it up for them. Advanced users are the ones who are usually more nitpicky about all this stuff and spend all kinds of hours researching it, etc.
The issue is when a company advertises as being able to do those advanced things and then fails to deliver. Even if I don't need a jet engine in my car, I would still be pretty pissed if it was supposed to come with one and it only catches on fire.
True of too many companies in this space unfortunately. VidOn did something no one else did first: support 3D ISO's and HD audio via Kodi. Before HiMedia and others. But, they cloaked themselves in deception (GPL violations and multiple forum identities) to make themselves look better w/o earning the respect. Shooting themselves in the foot and hurting their reputation in the process. Now taints whatever unique they did to earn this thread in the first place. Too bad.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
And not releasing the real sources is what make me mad

They released a helix 14.1 version just days ago , ( built 2weeks ago ) and their sources are from december

Internet streams is almost impossible to watch , interlaced sources , impossible to watch

Same bugs over and over ( these bugs are not present inoriginal kodi from kodi )
@ned Scott Are you able/willing to share the response from Vidon about their employees posing as independent users?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm willing, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed. Basic gist is an apology. I don't doubt that Wolly and others from VidOnMe are sincere on that, but given that the box only works with a very hacked version of XBMC/Kodi, the tension about VidOnMe's GPL usage, the concerns about Allwinner's GPL abuse (which powers all VidOnMe boxes to date), this whole shill'ing situation, and some other stuff... My personal impression is this:

I'm predicting that the XBMC Foundation board of directors will be very reluctant to renew VidOnMe's sponsorship for another year. We will probably wish VidOnMe well and we will hope they continue to improve in their GPL usage, improve their product, and so on, but it might be time to part ways and stop holding their hand (and being seen in public together). "Maybe".
(2015-04-11, 01:38)Ned Scott Wrote: On the off chance that people following this thread haven't noticed the other thread: we've caught multiple VidOnMe accounts being used to sockpuppet/meatpuppet/shill VidOnMe products on the Kodi forums: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223838

We're awaiting a (pretty damn good) explanation from the company now.

Just in that note.. Have any of you guys tried posting on the Vidon forum.? They actually edit what you post and reply to in order to make themselves look better.... Appalling...

Mort..
Personally haven't experienced that. It's what Xtreamer used to do (and I think still does).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-04-11, 01:38)Ned Scott Wrote: On the off chance that people following this thread haven't noticed the other thread: we've caught multiple VidOnMe accounts being used to sockpuppet/meatpuppet/shill VidOnMe products on the Kodi forums: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223838

We're awaiting a (pretty damn good) explanation from the company now.

WOW. I didn't read all of that but what I did read... WOW. I love the insinuation that we are all pirates. I am not the morality police but I have never even had a torrent account.

Edited because I confused 2 boxes.
I can confirm , the released code source is different than the released product

I compiled their helix branch , installed the apk

The compiled code builds vidon kodi 0.0.0.3 , the vdmplayer fail to init so only works when vidonpalyercore is disabled ( and dvdplayer is used instead ) this player slutters alot , when loaded it alerts that a new version is available (14.1.0)

Bottom line , the released source code doesnt build any released working version
(2015-05-02, 16:57)Trigu75 Wrote: I can confirm , the released code source is different than the released product

I compiled their helix branch , installed the apk

The compiled code builds vidon kodi 0.0.0.3 , the vdmplayer fail to init so only works when vidonpalyercore is disabled ( and dvdplayer is used instead ) this player slutters alot , when loaded it alerts that a new version is available (14.1.0)

Bottom line , the released source code doesnt build any released working version

As you read the thread, we all know that fact for many, MANY weeks now. It has been reported many times, but apparently everybody has his price, including the board members / foundation!

Pay 10K and you can have your logo at the front page, at the sponsor page and advertise your products as "official Kodi" blabla for a full year, despite whatever you do after sending the money. I can imagine that VidOn can make a lot more than the 10k invested within that year, so ...guess they are just good business people. They saw the weakness / poor organisation of the foundation and just act accordingly.
assumptions ... idotic ones too ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
You call it assumptions, I just call it conclusions derived from the facts presented in this thread.

- Look at the home page; www.kodi.tv The VidOn logo is at the sponsor block.
- Look at the sponsor page; http://kodi.tv/xbmc-sponsor-page/ The VidOn logo ia at the diamand section
- Look further down at the page at the diamons section;
Quote:"A yearly Diamond Sponsorship costs $10,000, a portion of which may be donated using hardware or services (particularly services critical to the development or maintenance of Kodi) at the behest of the Foundation Board of Directors."
- Read this thread. They have been violating the GPL license Kodi is released under since basically day 1.
- So this means since 22th of October to now == at least half a year.
- They have promised todo better for half a year already, guess they can do it for another half year.

For the last year you guys (Foundation / Team) you are so full of making a stand about copyrighted material, distancing yourself etc. However the one and only copyright violation you guys can actually do something about (as you hold the freaking license).... Well you let is drift for half a year already....

Why? Well, to me it is obvious, you just took 10k from them.
Memphiz was speaking about the Foundation, that you frontally attack for no obvious reason, not about Vidon.
Your signature seems to show that you make some money out of Kodi, as they are, so, as we say in french, you shouldn't spit in the soup.

We try to do our best to only accept respectful sponsors (we get at least 2-3 requests to sponsor us each day, that we turn down).
Sometimes we are mistaken, but we learn from our mistakes by refusing the renewal.
We are also looking at a more thorough process regarding our brand usage.
Koying, please read the thread. I have been speaking my mind before and certain things are the result of the lost in faith in the foundation itself. I am just very dissapointed. If the soup stays to freaking hot and the waiters repeatingyl do not bring me any water, yeah I spit in it myself eventually. (Not to mention, I actually have been GPL compliant since day 1.)

It is not an attack for no obvious reasons and out of the blue. If it feels like that, it says something. The guy that farted always shouts the first; It wasn't me.

It is dragging for months now. The passive / non-action of the foundation is even disrespectfull to all the other sponsors IMHO. Even after the recent events with double accounts etc, still nothing has changed.

(2015-05-05, 15:59)Koying Wrote: Sometimes we are mistaken, but we learn from our mistakes by refusing the renewal.
Be a man, shove the money back (or half of it) delete them from the site and put them on the wall of shame. Don't keep saying things like "or else", without following up with the "else". To me it looks like you guys can be bought. I am not saying, bribed. But basically paying in advanced without honering the rules still give a year of free pass.

I have been involved into a startup, and I am honest in saying; The path the foundation is following for the last year has made my vote for official sponsoring flipping to NO. Why? Because in my oppinion the foundation grew to fast to big and the people that are currently (trying) to steer the ship, can sail a little boat, but they have no clue how to turn the tanker they are currently are at around.
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3