Sharing a hard drive
Hi all,

I am still struggling with a fairly basic sharing problem.

I have an Elements hard drive attached to my XBMC. I would like to be able to access this drive, either on my laptop or on my Mac.

I have Samba turned on XBMC. Occasionally (usually after a reboot or either the router or XBMC) the hard drive will show up and I can access it. It will sporadically appear on my macbook too.

How can I get it so that I can see it permanently and access the files?

Best,

Duncan
Have you tried disabling power management for the drive on the system that the drive is attached to?
No - I don't think I have. It's attached to my XBMC Chromebox. Can I do that from within XBMC?
No, that's done at OS level not application level.
OK - I took the drive off and put into my laptop but it doesn't give me any power management options. I've put it back and I can see it as a media device but need to be able to copy files on and off it.

Sometimes, the whole XBMC Chromebox shows up under Windows and I can edit anything I want on it - and sometimes it doesn't!
Try using the IP address to make the SMB connection instead of the NetBIOS name. In OS X you can do this by using the "Go" menu in the Finder and selecting "connect to server..." and typing in

smb://

and then the IP address.
Many thanks Ned - I can see the files through OX but can't edit them and if I try to open them through ITunes I get 'can't connect to Server'. I've connected as a guest.

Ideally, I'd like to do this through Windows 7 but the drive is only appearing intermittently.
I suspect the drive appearing intermittently is a by-product of the uncertainty within your network of which machine is the smb master. With the advent of Windows 7, what was already an obscured feature seems to have gone even further underground - Msoft Windows adopts a policy of it-knows-best about which should be master (usually the most recent Windows version, and the most recently booted - which means that my wife's PC, constantly turned on and off as it is tends to obscure all my shares on various machines from each other).
It used to be possible to use SAMBA configuration to declare a master machine - but this doesn't always win over Windows.
The other problem is permissions and access - also tricky to sort out with Windows. I can only suggest a google search for solutions, as there is no fits-all as far as I can see.
Derek
There was a thread about this subject just recently over in the RPi section here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=207084

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing a hard drive0