Cheap Old Desktop as Server
My work in process setup:
Server PC running Windows Media Center to record OTA off a dual tuner HD Homerun Plus. Running ServerWMC as the backend to send live TV and recordings to 2 dedicated Chomebox OpenELEC/XBMC clients. The server also holds the video library. Everything is to be on 24/7 at first.

How weak can I go on the desktop here? At most it would be recording 2 OTA things while playing another. It would not serve any other computing purpose beyond being a pvr backend and file server for the xbmc clients.

For example I'm looking at a 2010 HP 500B MT for $150 with the following specs:
Hardware:
2.7ghz Dual Core Processor
4gigs DDR3 Ram
1tb Hard Drive
Geforce 9300 Video Card "hdmi+dvi"

Here is the complete product info:
HP Compaq PDF

I know I want a nice new i3 NUC, but that's either spend $460 to do it right or just wait until you can in my opinion.
My server is very similarly specced but running mythbuntu to act as a mythtv server. It is more than adequate to record 5 or 6 shows at a time from 2 HDHRs and serve up to 4 or 5 frontends.

Whether the needed specs change because windows is more needy than linux, I am unsure. Yu could always (drum roll) move from the dark side and join us in linuxville...

EDIT: just checked, mine is Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz

EDIT2: it doesn't matter much about the video card unless you want that machine to double as a frontend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There's a lot in-between $150 and $500 like the HP ProLiant Gen8 and Dell T20 around the $300 mark (new). You might be able to find them refurbished on the manufacturer's website. They're often on sale at Newegg, NeweggBusiness and Amazon.
I appreciate the feedback on your server nickr. That helps me move forward. Looks like the Core 2 Duo was the best of that generation so I'll narrow my search to that and be able to stay in the $150 and maybe below range for the server and stick with the original plan of maintenance free xbmc clients.

Dougie, I really want a tricked out NUC as the server that can dual as a nice desktop, but it's $450 for the i3 with 4Gb ram, 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD. But I'm not in a spot to even use a desktop right now without buying desk and monitor, running Ethernet to that room, etc. So, short of getting what I want I'm thinking cheap server and a couple clients that will be pretty easy to sell if I change up. I'll check out those machines you mention. Thanks for the recommendation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap Old Desktop as Server0