Ubuntu minimal change from Intel to Nvidia Card
Hi all,

since I do not manage to get it to work maybe someone could help here.

I used the Onboard Graphics from Intel a long time. The setup with this how-to was very easy and it worked quite well: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707

Now I put in a graphic card from Nvidia as I use the system also for playing games (a second windows installation). The Nvidia Card is: GT 760

XBMC loaded without any problems but I could not change the refresh rate. I found out that the Standard Nouveau Driver loads and the recommandation was to install the nvidia-331. So i did rebooted the system and XBMC does not start any longer. The error is: XBMC nxbmc needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering. Ok i did more research and installed the nvidia current package. That was the release 304. XBMC loads but only with a resolution of 800*600.

I'm a bit frustrated now because under Windows it was just 2 mouseclicks and everythings working.

Can someone help me give me a recommandation of the right driver so that I can use my Ubuntu minimal installation as before.

Thanks a lot

Alex
You need at least the 319 driver for the 760. Reinstall the 331 driver and if you get the same error run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-331
Hi,

thank you very much for this. So reinstalled the 331 driver and had the same error. The did

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-331

but it did not change anything same problem.

However I found a installation error:

Building initial module for 3.17.1-031701-generic
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.17.1-031701-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-331/331.38/build/make.log for more information.

I guess this is the reason. I did some research on this but without any luck. Should I downgrade the kernel?

Regards,

Alex
The 3.17 could well be the problem, I'd try downgrading it. Have a look in the log file mentioned in the error output for more info.

Or you could try the 343 drivers from this ppa, I had them compile on my system with a earlier version of 3.17.

https://launchpad.net/~mamarley/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia
Hi,

:-) Thank you very much the 343 driver solved the Problem with the Kernel 3.17.1
By the way I found a differnet discussion where someone did an upgrade from 3.16 to 3.17 with the 331 Nvidia driver and after the Upgrade the nvidia grafic did not load.

Another question maybe can help. With the installation of the Nvidia driver I guess another windows manager (sorry if this is wrong I'm quite new in Linux) is installed. So XBMC is not loading any longer but another x-server.

Regards,

Alex
Hi,

i found out how to stop the Windows Manager from loading:

Just empty: /etc/X11/default-display-manager

and it's done

Thank you very much for all your help

Regards,

Alex
Oh and if you're dual booting with GRUB check out my reboot2oos addon in my signature, it makes it a lot easier.
Hi,

thanks a lot for this information. This was exactly I was looking for :-)

Will try out this evening.

Regards,

Alex
I've the same problem...
I had a working setup which refers to this HowTo

Now I have upgrade my system with a gtx 750ti. So I installed the Nvidia drivers by using

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

but after this I can't get starting kodi... it allway boot into litedm windowmanager...

So I tied a fresh install with same result... I can't get it work...
Board: B85M-ITX
CPU: i3 4330
GPU: Geforce GTX 750ti
Hi,

i had to reinstall my system and have exactly the same problem mentioned by sveni_lee. After installing the nvidia driver kodi does not start because it wants to boot into lightdm windowmanager. One year ago I could solve this problem by just empty this file: /etc/X11/default-display-manager

But now this does not help. Can someone help me?

Thanks Alex
Don't know if nvidia_current is still needed, because nvidia now has its own ppa for their drivers:

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/...ubuntu/ppa
sudo apt-get remove lightdm is no option?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu minimal change from Intel to Nvidia Card0