Can no longer build Gotham correctly on 10.6.8
For a long time during the Gotham Beta and for a while after Gotham (at least until 13.1 I'm sure) I was able to compile my own custom versions on Mac OS 10.6.8 with XCode 3.2.6, however in the last couple of months I've noticed that any release build I do no longer gets an App icon and displays the default paper and pencils icon... Huh

Digging into it a bit further the problem appears to be the use of the iconutil command in xbmc/tools/darwin/Support/copyframeworks-osx.command to convert the icon:

Code:
echo "Creating icon"
iconutil -c icns --output "$TARGET_CONTENTS/Resources/xbmc.icns" "$SRCROOT/tools/darwin/packaging/media/osx/icon.iconset"

The problem is, the iconutil command doesn't exist in XCode 3.2.6! From what I can find out it wasn't introduced until XCode 4.5 which requires Mountain Lion. This means compiling on Snow Leopard or Lion will no longer produce an App icon in the compiled application.

Just wondering if any devs are aware of this, since XCode 3.2.6 on OS X 10.6.8 is still specifically listed as a supported build configuration in the 13.2 docs...

I'm also a little puzzled as to when this change occurred - if I checkout older snapshots such as 13.0 which I'm certain I built successfully in the past they too still have the iconutil command in the build script... or is the build script installed as a build dependency rather than being a checked in file ? (eg do I have to re-compile all the build dependencies ? That takes over an hour on this machine so I wasn't keen to try it to find out)

Is there an alternative to the iconutil command or are those of us compiling on 10.6 and 10.7 just stuck manually copying the xbmc.icns file from the official release into the application bundle ?
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
mhhh well i updated all my dev mashines to mavericks and am using xcode6 from now on. Also after helix release we will update our build slaves to mavericks or even yosemite and will bump to use 10.10 sdk. I think the readme is right that the compilation is still supported on 3.2.6 - the thing you pointed out is not so cool of course - but i will not invest any time to fix it (because i lack xcode 3.2.6 from now on and the build nodes build using xcode 4.x). But if you provide a fix in form of a pull request i will include it of course.

When i was using 10.6.8 on my dev mashines a couple of weeks ago i didn't realise the problem because i normally never build the .app (developing on xbmc/kodi doesn't need it ...).

also here is the commit that introduced it:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/3203...8f055a64cb
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can no longer build Gotham correctly on 10.6.80