[Fire TV] Movies stuttering
After using XBMC for a while, suddenly movies/shows begin to stutter. It's always within the first 10-15 seconds. Usually retiring to the Fire TV home screen and doing a Force stop/Clear cache helps, other times I've had to unplug the Fire TV. Once this is done, the movie/show plays perfectly fine. I've also noticed that when the stuttering starts, the video never says how far along it is. The time stays at 00:00:00. Video Playback is set to adjust display refresh rate always.

I'm not sure if it's a cache issue (Its reported as having 56.21 MB for the App, 494 MB for Data, & 68.21 MB for Cache). I've tried using the Xunity Tweak, but since my device isn't rooted I'm not sure if it actually works.
So this is a new issue that wasn't there before? Are you playing back from an add-on or from a network file share? A debug log (wiki) would also be good.
It's been happening the last few weeks. All files are on my NAS, & I'm using SMB. I unplugged the FireTV earlier & files are playing fine right now, so I'm not sure how useful a log would be. At least right now.
The 00:00:00 issue is an old bug http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194932

As is the "stuttering" issue. There's a post where it was discussed some time back but I don't have time to find it.

I assume you are running Gotham? If so this appears to be fixed in Helix, or at least mostly fixed, I'd suggest installing the most recent nightly build.

I haven't really seen either issue crop up since running Helix.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
What's the deal with libstagefright and mediacodec now?
(2014-10-27, 10:28)Hitcher Wrote: What's the deal with libstagefright and mediacodec now?

In general?

From what I understand (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

libstagefright is a little more "hacky" because it's not using the standard Android hardware video decoding API. However, it works on older versions of Android (down to 4.1, I think), and there are some cases where it is still a little more stable than mediacodec.

Mediacodec uses the standard API and will eventually shape up and become the option most people will want to use. Though I think it probably works more often than it seems, since we only hear about complains. There's also some situations where mediacodec will handle stuff that isn't working in libstagefright, like mpeg2 support (if the firmware supports it, from what I'm told).

Both technically touch on the same "area" of Android that handles hardware video decoding, so in a lot of situations people won't notice any difference at all between them.
(2014-10-27, 09:20)Tinwarble Wrote: The 00:00:00 issue is an old bug http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194932

As is the "stuttering" issue. There's a post where it was discussed some time back but I don't have time to find it.

I assume you are running Gotham? If so this appears to be fixed in Helix, or at least mostly fixed, I'd suggest installing the most recent nightly build.

I haven't really seen either issue crop up since running Helix.

Yep, I'm running Gotham. I'll have to give Helix a try tonight. Is it better to do a clean install, or can I do an upgrade?
If you install the latest nightly it has a different signature than the XBMC Gotham build so once installed you will have both installed, but it moves you userdata to the Kodi Helix build.

I would just update. If something doesn't appear to work right then you can just do clean install, but I didn't have any issues updating from Gotham to Helix.

As for libstagefright and mediacodec, all I can say is that at least with the AFTV there are still issues using mediacodec. Playback is nowhere near as smooth as using libstagefright, which even it has the occasionally small hicup.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Upgraded to the 10/27 nightly. I'll have to keep an eye on if these two issues still happen.

Since it created a separate installation, is it safe to remove the Gotham install?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Fire TV] Movies stuttering0