Need to root fire tv for xbmc (kodi)? (newbie)
I want to start off by saying I am in LOVE with XBMC (Kodi). I have used it since it first came out, and my old computer could not keep up with all the new technology, so I have been out of the game for a while. I WAS using an old ASUS EEEbox. I have now purchased the new Amazon fire tv, (and also ordered 2 sticks today). I have been doing nothing but read for a week now. I know this has probably been asked before, but first off, do I need to root the fire tv for XBMC, and from what I read, I don't THINK you need to, but if you don't, what "advantage" of rooting the fire tv will do for me in reference to XBMC (Kodi)? Thanks for ALL your help, and keep up the great and wonderful work!!
You can side load XBMC (or at this stage, on FTV, you're better off with SPMC) without rooting the FTV. If you have already connected your FTV without rooting and blocking updates, it has most likely has updated itself to a currently unrootable version.

The primary advantage of rooting is being able to add the ability to use the USB port for flash drives or hard drives. There are some other nice things that you can do once rooted, but as far as XBMC is concerned, it's not necessary.
ChipsAhoy, Thank you! I have not even received the fire tv yet, but I ordered it Friday from Staples, scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and hopefully it is at a version which is rootable. I plan on disabling updates immediately before anything, and then trying the root option. Do you know if there is a place I can go to read what other options are available when rooting? Thanks again!
Check out these two sites. They seem to have most everything you need to know about FTV.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv

http://www.aftvnews.com
Install (sideload) SPMC instead as it'll show up in FTV's home menu. No root necessary; just need to 'buy' SPMC off Amazon (even though it shows incompatible for FTV).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
So, if you get SPMC off the Amazon store to use for XBMC functionality, does that mean most users (in this community) would be just fine letting the updates keep occurring on the Fire TV box or would we still be better off blocking updates (and rooting if possible). I'm basically in the same boat as the original poster.

Thanks.
Keep it rooted unless you need specific functionality added in later firmware updates.
Rooting also allows you to assign XBMC or SPMC (what im using) as the default launcher for the FTV. That means that when you turn on the FTV, it boots straight into XBMC and will not exit the application even if you press the home button. You still have access to the KTV launcher if you set it as a favorite.

Besides that, rooting will also allow you to mount USB devices.

Personally, I just have SPMC as my default launcher and then a FLIRC in the back for the remote. This is setup for my parents and so far, they love it.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
(2014-11-04, 19:18)Mailpopper Wrote: So, if you get SPMC off the Amazon store to use for XBMC functionality, does that mean most users (in this community) would be just fine letting the updates keep occurring on the Fire TV box or would we still be better off blocking updates (and rooting if possible). I'm basically in the same boat as the original poster.

Thanks.

If you're rooted, then keep it rooted and if you need to update the FW then use Pre-Rooted Stock Software by rbox

If your not rooted, then the only reason to root (if your able) is if you want to do things like Expand the internal storage or mount USB drives.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Mine came with the new firmware already installed rendering it un rootable...having said that everything else installed its not so bad just cant plug external usb drive and install some Apps (ie browser)....so ill just be patient and wait for it to be released
I was wanting to give a Amazon fire stick preloaded with spmc as a gift, but once you change accounts the ikonotv/kodi app is gone. Is there a way to keep this from happening? It would be to difficult to walk this person through the process of setting the ikonotv app to function as the kodi app.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need to root fire tv for xbmc (kodi)? (newbie)0