Linux Video card suggestions for 4K videos?
Guys - could someone act sane, please.

The OP has a problem with his system, e.g. the VAAPI drivers are missing, it cannot offload anything to the GPU. When this is solved we can let him test a 4K sample I will upload then.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-31, 21:20)fritsch Wrote: One shot in the dark:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vainfo libva1 libva-intel-vaapi-driver i965-va-driver

afterwards reboot and provide:
dmesg | pastebinit
dpkg -l |grep libva | pastebinit
dpkg -l |grep i965 | pastebinit

Furthermoe in Video -> Acceleration: Disable VDPAU - your intel machine uses VAAPI, which you keep enabled please.

I attempted

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/ppa

This didn't exist. Assumed you meant

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi

Everything else seemed to go ok. Sort of strange behavior afterward with VAAPI turned on-

Try to play gopro 1080p video - blank screeen
Try to play gopro 2.7k video - same behavior as before, slideshow
Turn off Vaapi, try to play any video, 1080p play fine, 2.7k video slideshow

So VAAPI appears to be trying to work, I think the behavior I see is that VAAPI is trying to work with 1080p video and I still don't have something quite right (hence blank screen) and its still failing to work on the 2.7k video (hence it plays as a slideshow).

Other requested things posted in next post, new log is: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=336954

Line 738, begin playing 1080p video

I assume this error has something to do with why my screen is blank:
ERROR: CLinuxRendererGL::UploadVAAPITexture - failed to copy surface to glx 20 - the requested function is not implemented

Line 967, begin playing 2.7k video

Looks like VAAPI doesn't like the resolution,
Line 1126: ERROR: VAAPI - failed executing vaCreateContext(m_display->get() , m_config , avctx->width , avctx->height , VA_PROGRESSIVE , m_surfaces , m_surfaces_count , &m_hwaccel->context_id) at line 429 with error 13:resolution not supported

Video Resolution is 2704x1520 as defined on line 1135

Perhaps this has something to do with video driver?

dpkg output:

ii i965-va-driver:i386 1.2.0~quantal i386 VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family

ii libva-drm1:i386 1.2.0.ubuntu1~quantal i386 Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux -- EGL runtime
ii libva-glx1:i386 1.0.15-4build1 i386 Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux -- GLX runtime
ii libva-intel-vaapi-driver 1.2.0~quantal all VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family (transitional package)
ii libva-x11-1:i386 1.0.15-4build1 i386 Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux -- X11 runtime
ii libva1:i386 1.2.0.ubuntu1~quantal i386 Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux -- runtime

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/1mQS9FdC
The drivers are completely outdated. You need to upgrade your base OS as this is not even supported by cannonical anymore.

Then do the ppa commands again and you will see it will work.

You can start with xbmcbuntu13
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-31, 14:25)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-10-31, 02:08)RaggSokk3n Wrote: You'll also need outputs supporting 4k@60fps. The cheapest for htpc use I can think of is Sapphire Radeon r7 250 passive using displayport 1,2.
But there's no UHD hardware decoding on that card.

H264@4k should be supported from what I see?
Boot an OpenELEC 4.2.1 from a USB stick and try. This thread here is so confusing in the meantime, while testing it out could be done within notime.
(2014-11-02, 03:16)RaggSokk3n Wrote: H264@4k should be supported from what I see?
The R9 285 (Tonga) is the first AMD/ATI card that can HW decode UHD/4K H.264. AMD/ATI promised, but never delivered that for prior cards.
They simply can't ... They need to use the first 256 MB of their video memory with old cards, which is not sufficient with all 4K at every Level.

Intel can do 4K decoding starting with IVB for sure. I have seen some SNB patches that might enable those arches too, but never tested these as I don't have that hardware.
wanted to update this.

I didn't want to install 13 with 14 being not to far away, so I waited and today installed Kodi RC3- playback of all the videos works great!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video card suggestions for 4K videos?0