Strange network problem caused by Xbmcbuntu HTPC
Hi,
I have a very strange network problem, that's apparently caused by my HTPC with Xbmcbuntu, and I have no idea what might be the root of it.

Scenario: I have a working network connectivity, with my laptop connected to it (tested with ping). I turn on the HTPC, network connectivity is still fine. For a while. Then, at some unidentified time and caused by some unidentified event, the network connection drops. Xbmcbuntu has no connection (Network page of settings says Link: Connected, but Internet: either Busy or Not connected. Check network settings. Also, switching to a shell, ping confirms no connectivity.), and neither do any other laptops in the network.

Somehow, something in Xbmcbuntu causes the whole network to become unresponsive. Strangely enough, with no intervention, it's working again after some time. On and off, apparently random.

So far, I have been rather clueless about what's causing this, and have only been able to ascertain that:
- it's not caused by the router (even though that was my initial suspicion, before I pinpointed the culprit to be the HTPC and tested 4 different routers, and observing the same behaviour)
- it's not a WiFi issue.
- it must be caused by the Xbmcbuntu HTPC, since the connectivity is perfect fine, when it's off. And also, if the connectivity is out with the HTPC on, it is restored the moment I turn it off.

Nevertheless, as I mentioned, even with the HTPC on, it starts to work, again, on-and-off, apparently randomly - which is very strange.

Also, this problem manifested after some time (no idea after what event), after having the system installed and set up without a problem for about 6 months.

I'm a Linux newbie, but can paste any logs according to your advice.

Please help! Thank you!

info:

Starting XBMC (13.2 Git:0f3db05). Platform: x86 Linux 64-bit
22:02:11 T:139976417982400 NOTICE: Using Release XBMC x64 build, compiled Aug 17 2014 by GCC 4.8.2 for x86 Linux 64-bit 3.13.11
22:02:11 T:139976417982400 NOTICE: Running on Linux 64-bit (Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch), 3.13.0-18-generic x86_64)

debug log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8709697/
dmesg | pastebinit
lsmod | pastebinit

That sounds like a joke ... Are you sure you aren't running a torrent client with some 10000 connections that just kills your network?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-28, 08:33)fritsch Wrote: Are you sure you aren't running a torrent client with some 10000 connections that just kills your network?

That was my thought, I have problems with my router spinning out if I do that. Then the router's clients randomly lose all networking ability.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:Linux 64-bit (Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch), 3.13.0-18-generic x86_64)

You could try updating your system, you're running a pre release version of ubuntu

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange network problem caused by Xbmcbuntu HTPC0