Hardware accel on ATI hd3200
hi,

I put my old pc to good use with Kodi but 720p &1080p is not viewable with hardware accel enabled. The screen is roughly pixalized and à lot of green in the image. Sound is good and cpu load is at 60%

When HA disabled the image is good and cpu load @75%

What should I do to get it working with HA?

780g chipset
HD3200 integrated video
4850e cpu
4g RAM.
W7 64

Thanks.
Anyone?
Searching the forum will give you some of the answers, but generalizing, I would say the hardware is challenged with larger sized resolutions. I've watched over time, graphic cards go from 128 mb ram to over 4 gigs in less than ten years. To have high res available with a shared memory of 4g might seem possible, but once your W7/64 is loaded you cut that in half, and further reductions for other operations without even including Kodi, and some sort of double buffering space needed.

Give OpenELEC a shot, it will reduce the overhead to a minimum, if that doesn't do it.... more ram might just be the tipping point. Start thinking of Kodi as if it was running on a small box, and you should be alright.
Sounds valid but I never had this issue with the same setup. Disabling hardware accel improves image quality with about 100% but that just doesnt seem right to me.

And also, the HD3200/sb700 was the perfect platform for 1080p. Without the intention of being stubborn, I think there is something else wrong.
A search will turn up others that have issues using the i3 on-board graphics... see their solutions and results. For some it was just a matter of Intel software. Run those desktop monitors, turn on the OSD when watching video to check the bottle necks. If you're as close to full operation as you mentioned, then a bit more ram will probably put you over the edge and an SSD wouldn't hurt.

On the wild side run a proper debug while watching a film, something unseen might show.
I will look into that, do you have a link by any chance?

I have AMD but I see where you are going at.

The system did run fine on earlier XBMC versions however, I dont see why I need more ram when the system works ok without hardware acceleration. It only should run better with, shouldnt it?

XBMC is already running on SSD btw.
Sometimes hardware acceleration is not as advertised, I've run into videos that just don't like the built in hardware decoding routines, yet work fine with updated software. Because there is no updates with hdw accel you're at the mercy of drivers and patches that make up for shortfalls in the chips, AMD should be on top of this, but sometimes some configurations or combinations of boards and drivers fall through the cracks. You might start asking in those forums.

Green sploches in video smacks of gfx issues, either decoding or gfx memory limitations. Be sure to check temps, video corruptions, flow bottle necks or even fragmentation of memory. A lpt of details in this thread are missing, like the hardware, software details, debug log etc. if you follow my suggestions, I think you will get to a eureka point.
Patk,

I am not able to dig into this right now but please be there when I need you. :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware accel on ATI hd32000