Buying new device - what do you advise?
Hi everyone,
I need your advice.

I have an Acer Revo using XBMC (through Windows 8).
I’m really bored of manually switching on the machine every time I want to watch a movie since I can’t get it close to where I’m sitting.
I have a Logitech Harmony but never understood how to use it with the Revo and anyway I don’t think it can switch it on/off without touching the power button.

I am ready to buy a new device with remote to easily switch it on/off OR even a device capable be switched on/off by my Logitech Harmony.
Which device would you suggest?

-Amazon Fire TV
-Apple Tv 1
-Apple Tv 2
-Boxee Box
-Raspberry Pi
-Intel NUC
-Pivos XIOS
-Popcorn Hour C200

PS: I also have a Popcorn Hour C200 which I’m not using for ages… not sure I can install XBMC there though and use the original remote or the Harmony.

Thanks a lot to everyone how can give me any advice.

Lorenzz
none?
From your list, the Intel NUC is what you want. The others cannot be turned on/off and just stay in a low-power standby mode. Also, the Intel NUC 2820 model is very inexpensive and performs very well with XBMC/Kodi. It also has a built-in IR receiver.

Another good option would be an Asus Chromebox. Just about any of the Chromebox manufacturers should be good options, from what I understand.
(2014-10-30, 18:25)Ned Scott Wrote: From your list, the Intel NUC is what you want. The others cannot be turned on/off and just stay in a low-power standby mode.
Thanks Ned Scott,
If you can resume the low-power standby mode by touching any button on the remote control that's exactly what I'm looking for...
sorry I didn't explained my self well!
The only real htpc on your list is the nuc so it's hard recommending anything else.
Thanks!
NUC is really a nice device but out of mu budget.

I'm left with these three:

-Amazon Fire TV
-Apple Tv 2
-Boxee Box

Not sure what to choose...
Google Nexus Player?
(2014-10-31, 14:37)Lorenzz Wrote: Thanks!
NUC is really a nice device but out of mu budget.

I'm left with these three:

-Amazon Fire TV
-Apple Tv 2
-Boxee Box

Not sure what to choose...

Out of the 3, the Fire TV.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-10-31, 15:44)Tinwarble Wrote: Out of the 3, the Fire TV.

Yes, I might go for the Fire TV.
I have check few comparations bewteeen Fire TV and Apple TV 2 and it looks more what I'm looking for (ie. NAS access, BBC iPlayer, etc etc)
Just got a Amazon Fire TV, I should receive it tomorrow.
I will let you know hoe is it! Smile
Thanks again to everyone
Fire TV.

Don't even consider the Apple TV 2. It's more expensive than the Intel NUC because ebay prices went up and people don't understand that there are cheaper boxes. Newer versions of XBMC/Kodi tend to crash a lot on the ATV2, as well. XBMC on ATV2 is nice if you already have one, but don't go out and buy it.
Hi all,

Amazon Fire Tv arrived. So far so good! Smile

It is really fast and the remote is very easy to use with XBMC and I have noticed that the latest version of Gotham is working better the Kodi at the moment.

I have already understood how to bypass Geographical restirctions (when you install new apps) and how to use the USB port as additional storager for your apps.

As soon as I fully test Gotham I'll keep you updated.

Lorenzz
cubox-i running geexbox is worth adding to the list. It works with harmony remote. There is no 'off' function, but it only uses 3.5 watts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buying new device - what do you advise?0