• 11(current)
New HiMedia Q5
(2015-03-24, 18:37)hdmkv Wrote: I haven't noticed audio sync issues either, but need to watch/listen more critically.
Across a 2 hour movie you're shortening playback by 7.2 seconds playing it back fast so there should definitely be noticeable audio sync problems when bitstreaming or periodic audio glitches when it resyncs.
In EU it's available himedia M3

Quote:The M3 is essentially a cut-down version of the Q5 4K3D. It retains all the key features but uses a less powerful Cortex A7 HiSilicon chipset, Quad-core Mali-450 GPU, 1GB RAM, and has fewer external ports.

102€ + sc
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Looks basically the same CPU & GPU as Q5 4K, but 1GB RAM (vs. 2GB). That extra GB of RAM I think really helps Q5 perform a little snappier than VidOn for example. At HiMedia's site, I also see a similar H8 and a Q1.

This is what sucks with HiMedia... they have a darn good player in Q5 4K, the later build English version that is, and the way they name and market their products is just terrible (plus their almost non-existent official support). They have too many models to add to overall confusion.

Also looks like there's a new Q16 4K, with 16GB RAM and 8-core GPU (vs. 4-core in Q5 4K). So, a souped-up Q5 it seems.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-03-24, 18:46)Stereodude Wrote:
(2015-03-24, 18:37)hdmkv Wrote: I haven't noticed audio sync issues either, but need to watch/listen more critically.
Across a 2 hour movie you're shortening playback by 7.2 seconds playing it back fast so there should definitely be noticeable audio sync problems when bitstreaming or periodic audio glitches when it resyncs.
I would strongly suspect you not even getting bitstreaming but rather sly resampling is taking place regardless of Kodi settings when video is sped up to 24Hz.

(2015-03-27, 14:57)hdmkv Wrote: Looks basically the same CPU & GPU as Q5 4K, but 1GB RAM (vs. 2GB). That extra GB of RAM I think really helps Q5 perform a little snappier than VidOn for example. At HiMedia's site, I also see a similar H8 and a Q1.

This is what sucks with HiMedia... they have a darn good player in Q5 4K, the later build English version that is, and the way they name and market their products is just terrible (plus their almost non-existent official support). They have too many models to add to overall confusion.

Also looks like there's a new Q16 4K, with 16GB RAM and 8-core GPU (vs. 4-core in Q5 4K). So, a souped-up Q5 it seems.

Its only 2 gb of ram, its the flash thats 16gb
Cpu is still 4core too, gpu is 8core
(2015-03-27, 14:57)hdmkv Wrote: Looks basically the same CPU & GPU as Q5 4K, but 1GB RAM (vs. 2GB). That extra GB of RAM I think really helps Q5 perform a little snappier than VidOn for example. At HiMedia's site, I also see a similar H8 and a Q1.

Where can i order the Q16 4K?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
When you Google "himedia Q16 4K" couple of etailers pop-up, but based on my experience having ordered from a China-based etailer, you may get a Chinese version box. And, who knows if there's a HiMedia wrapper and ATMOS patch for Q16.
My HT
(2015-03-27, 19:45)movie78 Wrote:

Where can i order the Q16 4K?

Only Q5 Q10 M3 have firmware for English(EU) market .

Q1 q12 q2 h7 h8 m1 ...... are only for Chinese
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
Good to know, thanks... like I said, too many variations by HiMedia, including different Q5, Q10 and M3 hardware/firmware for China vs. English/EU.
My HT
Too much Q's
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
i found some information... i understood there is "China firmware or overseas firmware", overseas are himedia Vietnamese version(english remote, playstore ecc).

Himedia Vietnamese product are:
Q1 (?) Cortex A5 1.4ghz X4 1gb ram
Q3 Hi3798MCortex A7 1.4ghz X4 1gb ram
M3 Hi3798M Cortex A7 1.4ghz X4 1gb ram
Q5/Q10 Hi3798C Cortex A9 2ghz X4 2gb ram

himedia Wrote:The uniqueness of HIMEDIA M3 is used quadcore chip Hisilicon Hi3798M of Huawei.
If there Amlogic Amlogic S805 chip, chip line cheap Allwinner chip or chip A31s S802 is cheap line of Chip Allwinner A31.
Then Hi3798M also the line Hisilicon Hi3798C cheap chip (for HIMEDIA Q5IV and HIMEDIA Q10IV)
Hi3798M based on Cortex A7 chip 4, faster chips S805 Amlogic Cortex A5 platform.

HIMEDIA with strengths in this segment should play HD quality play the file output 4K, 3D, Blu-ray, ISO than with other devices.

himediatech.vn ROM

PS: the information are in TW e chinese, so i am not secure at 100% :-)
Quote:HIMEDIA with strengths in this segment should play HD quality play the file output 4K, 3D, Blu-ray, ISO than with other devices.
Agree. Just wish they would do a better job distinguishing between their various models, hardware revisions and firmwares. Also, an official English forum would help.

Couple of additional notes about Q5 as I play with it more...
  • I do now notice (very) slight frame speed-ups occasionally, but not always when watching movies. Maybe due to lack of 23.976. I have my Chromebox packed up to eBay, but haven't quite pulled the trigger yet (may just keep it for a while, along with my RPi2). RPi2's development is going great, but there are some issues with crashes, certain live mpeg2 1080i stuttering, and no 3D ISO yet
  • Although streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, etc. sideloaded work, video isn't smooth
  • Thought Q5 was supposed to have 8GB storage for apps? When I look under Android settings, shows only 2GB. So, I removed XBMC 13, which comes pre-installed with 1.0.7 Futeko firmware and other apps I was testing and only have latest Kodi 14.2. No performance issues yet though with my library of 1500+ movies and 50+ TV shows
  • Tried Nova launcher, which seemed to work at first, but caused Kodi to break. Had to restore box via 1.0.7 Futeko firmware
  • I do have Kodi now auto-launching via XBMC Launcher. Steps below...
  • Still need to test VC-1 and non film-based videos (like concerts)

Steps for launching directly to Kodi on Q5 4K (English version):
  1. Update to v1.0.7 firmware (as instructed here)
  2. Install Kodi apk and launch it, then exit
  3. Apply HiMediaWrapper APK (as instructed here)
  4. Install update patch for Dolby ATMOS (as instructed here)
  5. [Optional] Remove Kodi 13 from Android settings
  6. Install XBMC Launcher (linked above; download via this). Open it and confirm Kodi is selected under 'XBMC variant', then exit
  7. Power off Q5 until front panel light is red, then press power again. You'll be prompted as to which launcher you want; I selected 'XBMC Launcher' and 'Always'
  8. Q5 will now boot straight into Kodi. When done using, simply press power on HiMedia remote

One issue with above is now that I have XBMC Launcher as my default launcher, I have no way to get back to Q5's settings or Android settings.
Solved: Under Add-ons > Programs > Android Programs, add 'Settings' and 'Launcher' as favorites so you can get to them from Kodi.
My HT
Some more testing today:
- 23.976 VC-1 1080p, choppy playback (almost slo-mo) with HiMedia Player; worse with Kodi player
- 29.970 VC-1 1080i, slighly better, but also choppy, jumpy playback; worse with Kodi player

Basically, VC-1 is a no-go with Q5.
My HT
CPU is :Quad-core HiSilicon Hi3798C Quad-core Cortex A9 CPU running at 1.5 Ghz, not 2 Ghz.

hdmkv can you check old chinese version or you have sold?
Hmm, I'm not seeing where it shows 1.5 Ghz in above screenshot. Do see storage as only 2GB, so where do they get "ROM: 8GB eMMC"? Is latter storage?
My HT
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HiMedia Q53